April Best Rocket Competition - MPR/HPR - OPEN

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Please go visit our sponsor this month, K And S Rockets, makers of high quality recovery harnesses, parachutes and MPR/HPR kits! Now, on to the contest, and remember this is the MPR/HPR contest..

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme
Theme for this month is 'OPEN' so anything goes!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor K And S Rockets is their newest kit 'Purple Haze'! This is a limited run kit , so there won't be very many of these made..So here is your opportunity to get one!:)

So, let's get those entries in!

Man, now i've just got to fly this thing and it can be entered! Here's hoping this weekend turns out okay.

Braden

For a shot at a kands kit ill start this off.

This is my pml mystic. It is the quantum tubing, using the piston, the hamr retainer, and pml linear rail guides. Flew it 4/2/11 at thunderstruck for a successful level 1 cert. The wind was gusting pretty bad i believe the lco called 18 to 25 mph at the time of the flight. The h123 propelled it nearly perfectly straight even with the strong crosswinds with only minimal weathercocking. This was the first kit i built after an 11 year break in the hobby. The paint was done with testors spray paints with a base color of gold then masked and the blue was sprayed over.

mms_picture (41).jpg

riggingmystic.jpg

This is a scratch built rocket that I call The Sound of Madness. The name and paint job are inspired by a Shinedown song, and the initial design was inspired by the Binder Design Velociraptor. It is 2.6 inches in diameter and just shy of 7 feet tall. It has a 38mm motor mount.

The rocket has set many firsts and personal records. It has gone the highest of all of my rockets so far at a little bit more than 8000' on a J510, During the same flight it was my first rocket to break mach, and it is also the first rocket that I used Blue Tube in, and I will use it again. It was also the first rocket to use an interchangable electronics sled that I will use as a model for all of the other sleds I use.

Pone 070.jpg

DSC00703.JPG

DSC00704B.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is our first Midpower Rocket, a LOC Onyx. We used matte paint, except for the nosecone. The lines between the stripes ended up slightly jagged, giving it an "evil" appearance, so we named it the Maniacal Zebra. It has had one flight on an E23-5:

[YOUTUBE]Ojo1t7VLqB4[/YOUTUBE]

Well she has racked up some flights so here it is.
This is a K&S 2X upscale BBZ.
2.64" dia
81" length
D/D
38mm MMT

Finished will an allied theme and my typical custom paint work with all the metallic fades and such. Really loved the way this one turned out especially the tricolor flake fade on the upper payload section.

Have flown her on various 38mm Kosdon reloads (flies great on slow)

Can't wait to slap a Gorilla Black Lightning load in her at the end of the month

[YOUTUBE]LmujelhkmvI[/YOUTUBE]

Robbie's Blue Bird Zero.jpg

bbz compile jpeg.jpg

blue bird 043.jpg

blue bird 056.jpg

blue bird 005.jpg

I'll enter a mid-power scratch built rocket I designed and put together over the course of several months last year, the "AstroG." It is a two stage rocket, with a 5-motor cluster, and six motors total. It uses detaching side-mount boosters that drop away mid-flight (like the Space Shuttle SRBs). Five motors (three D12s and two C6s) ignite on the pad and stage to a single motor (E9) in the sustainer. It can also fly as a single stage using 29mm or 24mm composite motors.

Specs
Diameter ............... 2.6" (sustainer & main booster)
.............................. 1.35" (drop-away boosters)
Motor Mounts: ..... 29mm (x1)
.............................. 24mm (x3)
.............................. 18mm (x2)
Length: ................. ~48" (drop-away boosters ~18")
Altitude: ............... ~1500' peak (in full configuration)
............................. ~750' (staging altitude)
............................. ~2250' (single G composite)

The side-mount booosters each use a D12-3 and return on their own streamer or parachute.

The main booster contains a three-motor cluster. Two C6-3 motors deploy dual chutes to recover the booster, while a central D12-0 stages to an E9-8 in the sustainer (a total of 48 newtons avg staging to 9 newtons). The sustainer returns on a 24" or 30" chute (a total of five recovery devices). Peak thrust at liftoff is 118 newtons.

An after-the-fact build thread with lots of pics is here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=20838

These are some photos taken before and during the AstroG's maiden voyage at Southern Thunder 2010:

201-AstroGReady.jpg

202-Pre-flightInspection.jpg

203-LoadedforTransport.jpg

205-FlightCrewPhotoOp.jpg

208-AllEnginesFiring.jpg

209-ClearingtheGantry.jpg

210-WeHaveLiftoff.jpg

212-StagingConfirmed.jpg

213-BoosterSeparationSuccessful.jpg

214-MoonwardBound.jpg

217-Touchdown.jpg

219-Post-MissionDebrief.jpg

This slideshow has a few more photos of the AstroG:

https://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/tnmountainman/ST2010/?action=view&current=75b09675.pbw

Last edited:
This month y'all get a little more time to get your entries in! Just like the IRS I have extended the deadline to midnight EDT on the 24th! So, if you need to get that last minute flight in for your entry, you got the time! :)

Hopefully mother nature cooperates and allows the flight!

awesome! flight is tomorrow, cross them fingers, only my second dual deploy attempt. first one went perfect, this time it's a different altimeter.

Braden

Okay, it flew today, and it great fashion!

This is my Wildman Darkstar, I felt it needed to be completely different from everyone else's, so what do you do? You get kiss vinyl decals from Mark at stickershock23.com. They look amazing, and the rocket flew great!

Rather than doing a build thread, I did a video, so here it is.
[YOUTUBE]5AUDhcFnxjY[/YOUTUBE]

And here is the Ground/onboard videos of the flight today! on a 12 year old H123! Check out the date stamp
IMG_4982.jpg

[YOUTUBE]qBD_Rr77P0E[/YOUTUBE]

Braden

Well this is my baby. Got my L2 at Red Glare X with it. Text book flight. I wanted one as a kid but never got one so when the opportunity presented itself..... It's a bit of a material hodgpodge; Upper airframe (4") is PML phenolic and quantom Tube, Lower (3") is PML phenolic, Fins are 1/8 S glass. Cockpit is made up from 1/32" G10 sheet. Slimline tailcone that I polished up. Centering rings are birch ply. 38mm mount held an AT J350. Duel deploy was handeled by an Adept ALT2 50K. Finish is Duplicolor Paint Shop met Blue with decals by Stickershock23. Alt came in at 1951'. Best of all, it stuck the landing...couldn't pull that off if I planned it. Can't wait to put it up again.

Troy

101_1324.jpg

11_04_09_10_56_00%20-%20IMG_0721.jpg

11_04_09_10_56_46%20-%20IMG_0728.jpg

Attachments

• 11_04_09_11_04_40%20-%20IMG_0770.jpg
    11_04_09_11_04_40%20-%20IMG_0770.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back