April Best Rocket Competition LPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Our awesome sponsor this month is Hot Rod Rockets!Scroll down, read the rules and find out what the Theme and Prize are! :)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Whenever I can get appropriate sponsorships for the month there will be 2 contests. One will be strictly LOW POWER(F impulse and below) and the other will be MPR/HPR(G impulse and higher). So double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class. If there are more then seven(7) entries for the month, the entries will be split into multiple polls based on entry sequence into the competition and a run-off will be held with the top vote recipients from each poll. Run off voting period will be 5 days.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme
This months theme is SNF(Should Not Fly), something that doesn't resemble a rocket or look like it has the capability of flight, but proves the doubters to be 'Fools' and flies! :) This is pretty wide open! OddRocs, hats, saucers, pyramids, you get the idea! Bring 'em on!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is Hot Rod Rockets! And the prize up for grabs is a Kestrel Express rocket kit! :) Have a look at it here!

So, let's get those entries in!

Here is my 29mm Fan Blade rocket. This is a 16 inch diameter fan blade that I turned into a rocket.

I have flown this on E16W (definitely not enough power), F20W, F22J, F37W and F40W.

The original thread about the construction and flights of this rocket is HERE

Pics attached of the fan blade itself and the flight on the F20W.

29mmfan.jpg

Flying Fan Blade.jpg

Here is my 29mm Fan Blade rocket. This is a 16 inch diameter fan blade that I turned into a rocket.

I have flown this on E16W (definitely not enough power), F20W, F22J, F37W and F40W.

The original thread about the construction and flights of this rocket is HERE

Pics attached of the fan blade itself and the flight on the F20W.

I have seen this thing fly, and it is really cool. I personally did not believe it would work. I was wrong....
:clap:

Last edited:
Donald wins, give him the prize :D.

Wait one second micromeister will show up with the Toilet rocket........ speaking of which...... wait for my entry

NEW!!!Well every now and then i beg micromeister to show me the plans for the 1/3 scale toilet rocket, they never end in success so i figured it would be time to give a little taunt, Introducing....... A toilet's companion!!! i read somewhere that the inside of a toilet paper roll just happened to be about a bt-60 size, so i jumped on openrocket and printed some templates out and cut the CR's out of 1/8 Balsa. Then i took a scrap piece of Bt-20, and PRESTO! My toilet paper rocket was finished, now many people were doubtful about its stability when i announced it but, i beg to differ with this video, it was powered by a A8
[YOUTUBE]_lW8p8-y1K0[/YOUTUBE] You many think that it was under power when it hit the ground, that is not so, the A8 burns in under a second, what you saw was the tracking smoke. "A Toilets Companion" went unstable when the A8's thrust ended, and tumble safely to the ground where the Ejection charge went off, i had no intention of using it.It topped at about 20 feet, so its a keeper for my backyard flying fleet!

Micromeister, that one was for you :D

FINALY, AS FAR AS I KNOW THIS IS THE ONLY TOILETPAPER ROCKET ON THE PLANET THAT IS JUST A TOILET PAPER WITHOUT ADDED FINS.

Attachments

• TP.jpg
    TP.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1
  • TP2.jpg
    TP2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This is a little odd-roc I built on a whim about this time last year. See the "build" thread here. I finished a pint of Coldstone at about 1 in the morning, and a case of insomnia and an Art Applewhite 13mm Cinco made me think of making the pint container into a rocket. All I did was take the pint container, flip it upside-down, and add a motor tube and launch lug. The result speaks for itself.

Ice Cream Rocket Finished - Small.JPG

IMG_0530 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
an SNF contest? I thought that was what ALL Odd-Rocs were LOL!!! Where's Dick Staffords Hat???

Well let's see: which one to enter?

Got it! One of my favorite D12 powered Odd-Rocs. Coffee, Cream and Sugar!
from the flying food collection, or Trashbin transitions. whichever ya like. Since I can't exist without coffee...my keep the blood supply down in my caffine system. I used a few empty plastic bottles, several sugar and Equal packets, some plastic spoons and a BT-50 to create with high flying stack. .063" White Styrene is inserted in the side of the sugar packets to create the fins attached with the epoxy rivet method. Home made motor block core tube were run through the stack using a balsa nose block attached to the inside of the creamer bottle cap as the nose cone. Cap screw thread were carefully removed with a dremel. Don't remember where the clear dome came from but it sorta of reminds me of an old electric coffee pot top. Standard Kevlar/elastic 48" shockcord and 24" plastic chute bring there back gently for more flights. 4 Plastic spoons are faced to help create a good spin rate on the way up, really looks cool spinning away. Currently the model has logged 16 flights all on D12-3's. Max Dia. 4", OA length 16.25". Finspan 6.375", Ewt: 200g.

190a-sm_CoffeeCream&Sugar_08-15-96.jpg

190b1-sm_CoffeeCream&Sugar Odd-Roc midflight_07-97.jpg

190b2-sm_CoffeeCream&Sugar Chute & Z cloud_07-97.jpg

Last edited:
This is a custom rocket I made to try to combine my interest in rocketry and trap shooting. I started when I first saw this SNF content in the beginning of April and yes, I am cutting it short time-wise.

As you can see, the predominate feature is the large clay bird serving as the nose cone (plate)… I did include two smaller “dove clays” on the side to increase visibility. The rocket takes a 3/16-rod attached on the side. The MM can take an E but I wanted to be on the safe side. It’s maiden flight was on a C11-3 but I decided to bump it up to a D12-3 for flight two.

I know the real question on most people’s minds is can you shoot it? And the answer is no. But it does have an interesting birdlike characteristic in flight.

IMG_0469.jpg

CIMG3058.jpg

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

This is a custom rocket I made to try to combine my interest in rocketry and trap shooting. I started when I first saw this SNF content in the beginning of April and yes, I am cutting it short time-wise.

As you can see, the predominate feature is the large clay bird serving as the nose cone (plate)… I did include two smaller “dove clays” on the side to increase visibility. The rocket takes a 3/16-rod attached on the side. The MM can take an E but I wanted to be on the safe side. It’s maiden flight was on a C11-3 but I decided to bump it up to a D12-3 for flight two.

I know the real question on most people’s minds is can you shoot it? And the answer is no. But it does have an interesting birdlike characteristic in flight.

Ha Ha "PULL"

Deadline fast approaching!

Midnight tonight EDT is when the entry period ends!(It's the 21st ALREADY?!:y:)

Get your entries in! :) Polls to be posted shortly after midnight(or whenever I get home, whichever occurs later(obviously I can't post the polls until I get home!))

Latest posts

Back