Applying Monokote or Ultracote Heat Shrink Film to rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. How can I access the videos posted by ECAyemberg on monokote etc., It keeps asking me for permissions to access google docs

I am not sure @ECayemberg is monitoring that Google drive anymore. I have clicked on the button to get permission to see the videos numerous times in the past with no response.

Posting videos to a Google drive feels weird. Kind of like buying over the counter drugs from the back of a van in a dark alley. There is a new service out there. Just came out recently. It is called "YouTube". I get it, no one has heard of it yet, but I am betting it is going to take off any day now.

I am not sure @ECayemberg is monitoring that Google drive anymore. I have clicked on the button to get permission to see the videos numerous times in the past with no response.

Posting videos to a Google drive feels weird. Kind of like buying over the counter drugs from the back of a van in a dark alley. There is a new service out there. Just came out recently. It is called "YouTube". I get it, no one has heard of it yet, but I am betting it is going to take off any day now.

Interesting feedback?!:confused:

I have responded to all those who have reached out...at the time the videos were posted, there were no issues with permissions and I've changed nothing. Something must've changed with Google permissions. If someone knows how to open up permissions in the drive, please let me know.

It's a long story, but if you've been around TRF for a while, you know there have been several iterations of the forum and how one can post photos and videos. I've used various means over the years; and lost plenty of work on here over the various iterations...it's honestly taken a lot of the wind out of my sails for posting here. At the time that the videos were posted, Google drive was an effective location to host and post; apparently that too has changed:(.

Happy to share techniques, knowledge, and experiences...really burned out on posting items that are no longer accessible down the road. Honestly don't have the time to juggle files and rearrange to fit changing parameters.

Prompted by a request by DeeRoc in the Viper Family thread, here's a quick "How To" apply model aircraft Heat Shrink film in rocketry applications in video format. Most commonly, you find Monokote (Top Flite) and Ultracote (Hangar 9); both work well though apply and shrink a bit differently than one-another. I use both; again they both work great albeit differently; there are a few other less common options out there as well.

I did not invent this technique, nor do I pretend to know it all.:cool: I have been covering r/c planes and consequently rockets for the last 20+ years. Personally, I find covering paper/wood rockets significantly easier and faster than the more traditional filling, sanding, priming, and painting. Almost exclusively, I cover Loc rockets instead of painting them.

One added benefit is that a properly shrunk film adds strength to the airframe/structure while adding very little weight. Paint generally weighs more and adds no strength to the object.

This is an uncut, unedited, impromptu documentation of the covering process. It ain't pretty, but hopefully it's informative. If anything, it's convinced me to begin an exercise program again!:shock:

Covering a Tube

Step 1: Prep airframe, Determine length and circumference, cut film
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-C7O4hoFPXpWVd4MUtOa1dJdE0/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Step 2: Peel backing, wrap around airframe
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-C7O4hoFPXpcU45a1BYbm5sZFk/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Step 3: Tack
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-C7O4hoFPXpVWhadW13OWZucnc/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Step 4: Finish tacking. Seal the seam!
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-C7O4hoFPXpMVNzZEpKdG5XbEU/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Step 5: Shrink (using Heat Gun) Note: it is possible to cover a tube without using the Heat Gun. It is more difficult, time consuming, and produces less stellar results, in my opinion.
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-C7O4hoFPXpZW1rTWpob1c2SUE/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Step 6: Finish shrinking using the Heat Gun, Iron down the surface, Iron the tube ends
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-C7O4hoFPXpYW9vb3lZdnJOU1E/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Step 7: Trim Ends, Holes
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-C7O4hoFPXpUC1Fd2VDRE1OUXc/view?usp=sharing[/video]

That's it! Though I didn't rush, that tube was completed in 3 songs on the Radio, or about 20 minutes. Adding trim, mult-colors, etc. adds to time and complexity, but is still relatively easier than masking and painting. I enjoy painting as much as I enjoy covering; the intention here is to simply provide folks with an alternative method of adding color and shine to their rocket projects. Enjoy!

Hi. I have still been unable to view the above files. I'm getting ready to build another rocket and I would love to try monokote etc., I bought the iron, sleeves etc., Is there any way you can share the files with me directly. My email is [email protected].
Thanks
Rich Abramowitz

Hi All,

Thanks for the interest! Let's try updating the links. I should really re-shoot the videos...l was a bit heavier then! ;)

Updated Hyperlinks below:

Covering a Tube

Cut & Prep

Peel

Tack

Seam

Step 5: Shrink (using Heat Gun) Note: it is possible to cover a tube without using the Heat Gun. It is more difficult, time consuming, and produces less stellar results, in my opinion.
Shrink

Step 6: Finish shrinking using the Heat Gun, Iron down the surface, Iron the tube ends
Finish it

Trim it

Hi All,

Thanks for the interest! Let's try updating the links. I should really re-shoot the videos...l was a bit heavier then! ;)

Updated Hyperlinks below:

Covering a Tube

Cut & Prep

Peel

Tack

Seam

Shrink

Finish it

Trim it
Worked Great. I was able to view them. They are terrific videos. Keep em coming. They would make a great beginning for a full featured tutorial!

I am guessing that there is no problem using vinyl decals on Ultracote? If so, do you shoot clear coat over the Ultracote to protect the decals? I have always understood that clear coat was a practical necessity when using the vinyl decals . . . just wondering how you deal with that.

Back