Applewhite 18mm Double Helix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I wanted to show the kids something different at the rocket demo of my church's VBS right after the SkyWinder flight so I chose the 18mm Double Helix from Art Applewhite. I call mine the Black Death and the original build thread can be found here: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=47482

For power, it got a pair of C6-5s and was set up on the pad. When it started to spin, the kids knew something different was up.

BD-f1a.jpg

BD-f1b.jpg

BD-f1c.jpg

The kids really liked the distinctive buzzing sound as it went up. They liked the rotations even more.

BD-f1d.jpg

BD-f1e.jpg

When it ran out of thrust, it slowed down but did not start the autorotating it sometimes exhibits. It just tumbled safely to the ground.

BD-f1f.jpg

BD-f1g.jpg

BD-f1h.jpg

BD-f1i.jpg

My club is doing a demo for a Cub Scout pack tomorrow and I wanted to show them something different so I went looking of my Double Helix. I found it and set it on the back seat. Then some uncaring slob set a briefcase back there and broke off the blade. I'm going to have to watch where I put it from now on.

The break was fairly clean so I got to work yesterday repairing it.

broken-blade-1.jpg

broken-blade-2.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

I cleaned up the edges as best I could and then used yellow glue to put the blade back in place. I used it on the root edge, along the break and in generous fillets along the tube.

reglued-1.jpg

reglued-2.jpg

Today it seemed ready to go. I hope the kids enjoy it. I know I will.

done-1.jpg

done-2.jpg

Sweet...... Rockets in the church parking lot!

I'd even wake up on Sunday morning for that.;)

... I know it's part of your youth program, I just love the photo.

Sweet...... Rockets in the church parking lot!

I'd even wake up on Sunday morning for that.;)

... I know it's part of your youth program, I just love the photo.

Thanks,

The kids seemed to like it. The kids launched 94 rockets that day, aside from my demos.

OK. This launch report is way over due since it took place in March but my schedule had been murder.

I took out my Black Death to give it a try on a pair of the long burning Quest C6;s. These had 3 second delays. I was also trying out the newer Quest igniters (I love them!). This beast was taken to the pad and set up ready to go.

Black-Death-f1a.jpg

Black-Death-f1b.jpg

Black-Death-f1c.jpg

Black-Death-f1d.jpg

I loves the way these igniters light right away, especially with a cluster.

Black-Death-f1e.jpg

I also liked the way these motors behaved in this rocket. The long burn was extraordinary.

Black-Death-f1f.jpg

Black-Death-f1g.jpg

Black-Death-f1h.jpg

Black-Death-f1i.jpg

Black-Death-f1j.jpg

When the thing stopped spinning up, it began to autorotate down.

Black-Death-f1k.jpg

Black-Death-f1l.jpg

Black-Death-f1m.jpg

It was a great flight and to put icing on the cake, the manufacturer drove into town to retrieve it for me and keep me from having to walk so far.

Black-Death-f1n.jpg

Back