Apparently this year's tourist tossing season is open

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Bison gores (stupid) Yellowstone National Park visitor and throws him into a tree.

Okay, this particular video isn't new, but there have been two folks just this week. This is right up there with all the folks in Florida driving around the crossing gates and getting smashed by trains. I mean, what did you *think* was going to happen?
I mean, at some point you just stop feeling sorry for people who do really dumb stuff.

About 5,000 bison roam Yellowstone National Park, and even at half capacity right now after severe flooding, there is still countless morons that can’t wait to run up and pet one like they’re at the county fair.

We've seentwo people gored in the past week, and another earlier this year… and that doesn’t include all the bozos you manage to escape from the charging beast, or duck behind a car.

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2023/04...nal-park-visitor-throws-him-high-into-a-tree/

Well, preacher, you know about St. Frank and the animals - just last night there was a blue jay on my patio that had been injured, probably by a hawk, and couldn't fly, so I eventually was ably to capture it, and it grabbed my (gloved) finger in its beak and tried to defend itself against this monstrous mortal threat that had grabbed it.... and I set it down in a bed of leaves, well hidden, to do it's best against the freeze and figure I'll probably find it today at some point. We, for some reason, think we should be able to walk and speak and talk with the animals (hear that in Dr, Doolittle music...). But yeah, when they tell you over and over and OVER again, these are WILD animals 5- 10x your size and they WILL kill you, yeah, it's kinda hard to feel too sorry for them.

Wife works at Land Between the Lakes. They have an elk and bison prairie that one can drive through. Every year someone decides to go pet the fluffy cow or the pretty deer. One of these days the people who stay in their cars will be able to watch Evolution In Action. And the world will be an epsilon increment smarter.

I have all sorts of sympathy for people in general, but very little for those who are deliberately stupid.

Maybe it's the dumbing down of society where as a child you're taught that it's OK to cross the road without paying attention because cars have to stop for you. (*Edit: I think cars stopping for stopped school busses is a good thing, but I have seen way too many kids sauntering oblivious and uncaring while crossing the road.)

And that manufacturers are responsible for putting warnings like "Do not drive with the sunshade in place" to avoid lawsuits by idiots. 😆

I'd half expect the same people to insist that the park put warning labels on the bison.

Last edited:
buff.jpg

We fly next to a pasture full of "fuzzy cows". If you stand next to the fence, they will (slowly) walk to the other end of the pasture. I don't know if they *really like* or *really hate* rockets. We've had several rockets that we lost tracking on, that had ended up in the bison pasture. It looks like they take turns rolling on them. Even carbon fiber can't hold up.

We don't have bison, but we have a lot of other stuff that will hurt you badly give the opportunity - or just a bit of fear. Tourists will:

Pick up a python, of any size.

Try and pat "Skippy".

Tease crocodiles. I sh1t you not.

Decide that "It's a big bird!" and approach it. Lady, it's a Cassowary, the deadliest bird on the planet.

I worry for the future if people won't even read that huge WARNING SIGN suggesting your imminent behaviour will result in your immediate demise.

Wild animals, people. The clue is in the name.

I am constantly amazed at the stupidity I see on a daily basis. How are some of these people still alive and I hope they don't procreate.

I think its because people are so insulated from the consequences of their actions. Do something dumb, there will always be someone to bail you out of trouble. Talk smack to someone on the Internet, nobody is likely to come to your house and punch you out (called the Internet Tough Guy Syndrome).

Mr Darwin isn't allowed to do his job in many cases, unfortunately.

These are the same people that buy a house, complain about the smell of the dairy farm next door, and then ask why farmers don't just buy milk at the store like everyone else.
not to derail too much.. But this always fascinated / bewildered me..

If you are going to buy a house, and you've looked at it once or twice.. is that it? here's my $$?!?!

When we bought our house, we had about 3 contenders, narrowed down to two. The main one was rejected for a few reasons. And on the last visit, we parked just outside for about an hour, and counted cars going by. We watched the neighbourhood a bit. A sunday afternoon revealed a number of cars going by... too many in our opinion.. rejected..

When we were driving around the area, I had a map, with a 'V' drawn at the end of the airport's runways. [Dorval / Trudeau International] "Anything within that 'V' will be noisy." again, a no brainer.. (The wife was impressed I went that far!)

These are the same people that buy a house, complain about the smell of the dairy farm next door, and then ask why farmers don't just buy milk at the store like everyone else.

Seriously. I've seen those. And worse.
Late March/early April is the manure smell season for us. We just accept it as a cost of living in an area that's not aggravatingly crowded all the time.

Here's your "worse." This is certainly a contender for "dumbest tweet of all time."

1682520309611.png

Good God, yeah, he's pretty dumb. Those are snow-covered farm fields, where they grow the food you silly city-slickers eat. Looks to be winter to me. :)

More than a few years ago I spent a couple of weeks in GTNP (Grand Tetons) with some friends that live there. All told I've been to GTNP 4 times YSNP twice. Like all trips back then (2009 - 2017-ish) it was a photography trip. I used to do one or two of those a year. They number their bears in the park. More specifically they put a numbered collar on them. 399 is pretty well known. I haven't heard if she has been spotted this year. She had 3 cubs with her last year. There's a network of people that text the other members of their "cult" when a bear, moose, wolf, etc is spotted. The various cults hate each other lol so they don't share info. We got word that 399 was down by the willows. When we pulled up the line of cars pulled off to the side of the road to see the bear was at least 2 miles long. Tourists and tour guides figured out that they needed to keep an eye on the people with the big lenses. I was told that the line of cars continued either direction where the road tee'd (left goes to YSNP).

Sure enough, she, 399, was there. There were two rangers trying to keep 100's of people away from her and her cubs. When the bear started moving toward the willows we moved back per the rangers direction. Something happened to distract the ranger and he went north (willows are west and a little south of where we were). People started yelling and pointing toward the willows. A dad and his two small kids, small enough that he was holding their hands, disappeared into the willows. The rangers ran to where he went in and within a few minutes they came back out with him and his kids in tow. Mind you, a female Grizzly bear and her cubs had just entered a dense willow thicket not even 10 yards from where the father and his kids went in. One of my friends knew the ranger and asked him what the touron (that's what they call tourists up there) was doing. He wanted to get close to the bear so his kids could see it.

I overheard one of the "cult members" say that she felt a strong bond with 399 and would love to give her a hug. My buddy said, if she tries to bond with 399 she'll find out what it's like to be bear sh*t. 😂 He's a transplant from New York and a bit blunt. He would later get into a loud altercation with her that day when we were at a location where a Great Gray Owl was posing. The rangers broke it up. She was mad at him because she blocked the road, both directions, so she could photograph a bird without getting out of her car and he eased up behind her, sat down on his horn, apparently scaring the "stuff" out of her and the bird.

Here's a few shots from that day. I haven't been back since... BTW, if you have a 600mm f4 lens this is a very safe shot but I still stayed close to my pickup, just in case.

p948533115-4.jpg

One of the cubs
p612592995-4.jpg

This was just outside GTNP near the campground at Gros Ventre. I didn't try to pet the cute little tatonka.

p1033197275-4.jpg

Great Gray Owl with a tasty Vole. I had watched this owl fly back and forth for about 20m. It went to the same two trees. The bajillion other photographers were at the tree where the owl was when it dove on the Vole. I had moved back to where I knew the owl would return. I wanted it to fly toward me (kind of). The Vole was a bonus.
p729565695-4.jpg

There's tons more but I'm straying off topic. I'll stop with Jackson Lake.

p798533077-4.jpg

More than a few years ago I spent a couple of weeks in GTNP (Grand Tetons) with some friends that live there. All told I've been to GTNP 4 times YSNP twice. Like all trips back then (2009 - 2017-ish) it was a photography trip. I used to do one or two of those a year. They number their bears in the park. More specifically they put a numbered collar on them. 399 is pretty well known. I haven't heard if she has been spotted this year. She had 3 cubs with her last year. There's a network of people that text the other members of their "cult" when a bear, moose, wolf, etc is spotted. The various cults hate each other lol so they don't share info. We got word that 399 was down by the willows. When we pulled up the line of cars pulled off to the side of the road to see the bear was at least 2 miles long. Tourists and tour guides figured out that they needed to keep an eye on the people with the big lenses. I was told that the line of cars continued either direction where the road tee'd (left goes to YSNP).

Sure enough, she, 399, was there. There were two rangers trying to keep 100's of people away from her and her cubs. When the bear started moving toward the willows we moved back per the rangers direction. Something happened to distract the ranger and he went north (willows are west and a little south of where we were). People started yelling and pointing toward the willows. A dad and his two small kids, small enough that he was holding their hands, disappeared into the willows. The rangers ran to where he went in and within a few minutes they came back out with him and his kids in tow. Mind you, a female Grizzly bear and her cubs had just entered a dense willow thicket not even 10 yards from where the father and his kids went in. One of my friends knew the ranger and asked him what the touron (that's what they call tourists up there) was doing. He wanted to get close to the bear so his kids could see it.

I overheard one of the "cult members" say that she felt a strong bond with 399 and would love to give her a hug. My buddy said, if she tries to bond with 399 she'll find out what it's like to be bear sh*t. 😂 He's a transplant from New York and a bit blunt. He would later get into a loud altercation with her that day when we were at a location where a Great Gray Owl was posing. The rangers broke it up. She was mad at him because she blocked the road, both directions, so she could photograph a bird without getting out of her car and he eased up behind her, sat down on his horn, apparently scaring the "stuff" out of her and the bird.

Here's a few shots from that day. I haven't been back since... BTW, if you have a 600mm f4 lens this is a very safe shot but I still stayed close to my pickup, just in case.

p948533115-4.jpg

One of the cubs
p612592995-4.jpg

This was just outside GTNP near the campground at Gros Ventre. I didn't try to pet the cute little tatonka.

p1033197275-4.jpg

Great Gray Owl with a tasty Vole. I had watched this owl fly back and forth for about 20m. It went to the same two trees. The bajillion other photographers were at the tree where the owl was when it dove on the Vole. I had moved back to where I knew the owl would return. I wanted it to fly toward me (kind of). The Vole was a bonus.
p729565695-4.jpg

There's tons more but I'm straying off topic. I'll stop with Jackson Lake.

p798533077-4.jpg
Great stuff. I've seen a black bear and cubs at Sequoia NP. The New York wildlife can be equally exciting. :)

Back