Like NASA the best laid plans have to be changed when stuff gets too heavy for the existing motors to lift.
The problem was the capsule foam/fiberglass assembly was about 21 oz when completed.
Way too heavy! Time for a redesign!
Then I came up with a solution. Remove all the foam...just leave a hollow fiberglass shell.
Great! but...now the weight was only down to about 15 oz.
Hmmm...still too heavy for me.
Looking at the capsule data I observed that the PA-2, the round that I was going to model, had the blast shield. (PA-1 was just a boilerplate without the blast shield.)
How about removing all of the fiberglass/epoxy from the capsule proper and design just a blast shield cover.
Back to CAD and lay it out.
There are 7 equal segments to the blast shield so I had some math to do, some designing of the shroud (basically that's all it is), now divide the shroud into seven equal segments supported by balsa strips, print out the segments and super glue them to the capsule frame.
Viola! Total weight even with the center BT-80 support was 8.7 oz.
I can live with that! Better yet 4 D12's will be able to lift it!
I ran into another snag when I made the segment. I ised 100# card stock for the segments, when I glued them on they were just fine. After a few hours the humidity made them buckle and sag. I blew it with my wifes hair dryer and all of the wrinkles came out...a few minutes later...wrinkles came back.
I cut them all off and replaced them with posterboard stock...quite a bit heavier but it worked...no more wrinkles! and that's with the final 8.7 oz. weight.