Apollo LES HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

g_boxwood

Reaction score
The last dry fit before the epoxy mess...

Epoxying done:

Clearing-up the holes for the MMTs:

g_boxwood

Reaction score
MMTs in place...

... with generous fillets for better cloth transitions:

Reinforcing:

g_boxwood

Reaction score
Sanding...

Full booster view (skirt is missing):

Drazic

Reaction score
Christ thats some skills there dude, im very impressed

jj94

Reaction score
Good job so far. Can't wait to see it finished.

..Pat Butler

Reaction score
Excellent workmanship. Are your parts laser cut or did you do them manually? There are some tiny tabs that look just perfect.

g_boxwood

Reaction score
Thank you again!

Pat, I do cut my own parts using a Dremel scrollsaw with very fine-teethed saw blades: parts are not as precise as they look in the pics.

wilsotr

Reaction score
Wow. Hope you're keeping copies of your parts patterns. :)

g_boxwood

Reaction score
Ok, as I've already said I'm proceeding really slowly due to being very tired as I get back home from work...

I put the tower assembly aside for a moment and I started putting the capsule mold frame together.

The capsule mold consists of a number of 1/8" lite-ply rings glued to a 3.9" airframe tube (LOC) with 12 interlocking stringers that helps keeping everything were it belongs. The stringers are lite-ply as well.

The biggest ring (the base one) spans roughly 21" but it didn't cause me too much trouble. I brought my plans to the local printing shop and I got them on paper @ 1:1 scale:

Cutting the rings was then a matter of time and patience...

I was able to cut the internal 4" hole without any hassle with my trusty Dremel jig-saw: I was not sure I could do it!

Here are the stringers:

g_boxwood

Reaction score
On the other side I didn't realize how much trouble could it be to fit all the pieces together... Despite the many stringers and the inter-locking construction things can get quite annoying at the very first stages.

I was also unsure about the adhesive: I finally opted for the aliphatic resin as it is both practical (no mixing required, no working time) and economical.

I started by glueing all the rings to the bodytube with only 4 of the 12 stringers in place:

I let the glue dry overnight and I then flipped the frame upsidedown reinforcing the joints (the assembly was clamped while glueing so I only had access to the joints from above):

Next came all the other 8 stringers:

Once done with it I brought everything outdoor to take a few pics of what has been done so far:

fyrwrxz

latest photo
Reaction score
Please tell me this excellent project was not abandoned!?