Apollo ALSEP Pictures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder why there are no tire tracks shown? they are present in some other photos
bui3ml9.jpg

These pictures blow my mind. Human footprints on the Moon. Buzz Aldrin’s dirty boots. Wild.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/HamishALSEP.html

Kind of hard to wrap your mind around all this, right? I remember watching the live broadcast of them on the moon as a kid, but as a kid I didn't fully understand yet just what a truly incredible accomplishment it was.

Thanks for posting this.

I feel truly blessed being able to once again witness what is being done, current day, that I witnessed as a kid.

Kind of hard to wrap your mind around all this, right? I remember watching the live broadcast of them on the moon as a kid, but as a kid I didn't fully understand yet just what a truly incredible accomplishment it was.

Thanks for posting this.

I feel truly blessed being able to once again witness what is being done, current day, that I witnessed as a kid.
Yeah, I was 13-1/2 for Apollo 11, and so all about it, wanted to be an astronaut, go to the moon... And as you get older, you realize the guts and discipline and self-control, plus physical abilities, that it took to do this, and you're blown away at the accomplishment, and at all the things that had to go right. They had some close calls, too, the LM ascent on Apollo X, and of course the SM problem on Apollo XIII. You look at that tiny ascent stage sitting on the moon, and that's your ride home! That crazy little thing has to rocket you back to lunar orbit, and you're taking a nap on the motor housing!

Then that rover... Do yourself a favor sometime and measure off a distance from your home the same as their maximum distance in that thing from the LM, and get blown away again, because that's a long walk back if something goes wrong with the buggy, and likely they wouldn't have made it... simply amazing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was 13-1/2 for Apollo 11, and so all about it, wanted to be an astronaut, go to the moon... And as you get older, you realize the guts and discipline and self-control, plus physical abilities, that it took to do this, and you're blown away at the accomplishment, and at all the things that had to go right. They had some close calls, too, the LM ascent on Apollo X, and of course the SM problem on Apollo XIII. You look at that tiny ascent stage sitting on the moon, and that's your ride home! That crazy little thing has to rocket you back to lunar orbit, and you're taking a nap on the motor housing!

Then that rover... Do yourself a favor sometime and measure off a distance from your home the same as their maximum distance in that thing from the LM, and get blown away again, because that's a long walk back if something goes wrong with the buggy, and likely they wouldn't have made it... simply amazing.
https://www.history.com/.amp/news/apollo-10-disaster-apollo-11-practice-run

After reading the story.. and then looking at your avatar.... they sure had the right name for the LEM..... Ole Snoopy says "I ain't scared".

View attachment 548875
There's a very real ability that only a few people have, to not panic and stay on what has to be done come what may. I didn't even mention Buzz Aldrin snapping off the lever of a key circuit breaker or switch for the LM ascent motor. They told Houston about it, and while Houston was working on it, Buzz was able to flip the broken lever using a marker like a Sharpie....

wonder why there are no tire tracks shown? they are present in some other photos
bui3ml9.jpg
That photo was taken just after Cernan and Schmitt completed repairs on the LR's fender.
Probably their boots covered up the tracks as they worked. Their footprints are all around the rover.

Back