Apollo 11

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Irvine

Reaction score
U.S. Rockets looks back on Apollo 11 moon landing day.

AT ABOUT 1:30 AM PACIFIC TIME THIS DATE IN 1969 SOME UNREASONABLE PERSON CAME IN AND WOKE ME UP TO WATCH SOMETHING ON TV - IN BLACK AND WHITE - !!

GOD BLESS MY FATHER FOR LETTING ME VIEW HISTORY IN THE MAKING.

JERRY IRVINE

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine
AT ABOUT 1:30 AM PACIFIC TIME THIS DATE IN 1969 SOME UNREASONABLE PERSON CAME IN AND WOKE ME UP TO WATCH SOMETHING ON TV - IN BLACK AND WHITE - !!

LOL, I was a few months short of 3 years old, but I wish my father had done the same with me. I'm sure your memory of watching that event will stay with you the rest of your lifetime.......... (I'm saying this, being totally jealous of you)

I was four. I didn't see this one but I remember watching a later Apollo mission with my grandfather. I'm not sure which one it was though. I remember waking up one morning early and he was getting ready for work and the astronauts were taking a moon walk.

I remember watching it, also on a black and white tube. You should have heard the cheers...it was something. Funny thing is I actually remember the Kennedy assasination more vividly, although I was a few years younger...go figure.

Carl

Though I don't remember it, my mum kept me up to watch the moonlanding.

I was 13. I remember it vividly. I remember crying and not really sure why, but I was profoundly affected.

My dad brought a spare TV home from the store so I could monopolize the big one. He let me patch audio from the TV speaker to a 1/4" jack and record everything on reel to reel. I filled five 7" reels on both sides, 3 sides of which were the landing and walks. After it was over and went out and looked at the moon through my telescope. It looked exactly the same, but everything was different.

Try to imagine that brief moment when most everyone in the world stopped what they were doing to witness this and reflect on it. We need more of that.

I remember it like it was yesterday...!!!
Was watching it on a new SONY black and white portable television... in the back seat of my parents car on the other side of town... we had to carry a school buddy of mine to his grandmothers house...
We had been watching at home, but then it statred getting really late...
Two innovations at the same time... We had just gotten the battery operated TV that day...

Wow...it was just yesterday...I had already started building and flying model rockets that summer...!!!

I was five years old and remember every bit of it, or at least as much as a five-year-old could manage.
On July 20, my mom made me take a long nap that afternoon so I could stay up late for the moonwalk. I also remember her running out on the porch that night shouting that she could see them...she fooled my brother & sister but I stayed in the living room watching the tube 'cause I knew she couldn't possibly see them!
I was a space geek at an early age and was obsessed with Apollo, much as my own kids are with "Star Wars". I could talk about the three stages of the Saturn V and how the LM worked. I remember getting the plastic CM toy out of a jar of Tang and how it would have to be baked in an oven to form up right, and also putting together the paper models of a LM and SIV-B stack that my grandpa would pick up at the Gulf station. He had a big book about the whole moon program that I would pore over constantly.

Well, on July 20, 1969 I was 17 years old, on a beach in Petosky, Michigan with a very lovely young lady...I mean a very lovely young lady:D

It was summer, it was the 60's, I was 17, she was gorgeous...sorry guys...I had my priorities.

I made "personal" history that night.:rolleyes:

sandman

UK History Channel - Space Exploration - all this week in honour of the 1st Moon Landing.

For example - I just taped an Horizon special on the final Columbia mission.

Gotta buy some more tapes!!

Damage...

I was 12 at the time, and remember thinking Jules Bergman had the greatest job on earth.
He had all these cool models he used to show what was going on in the mission. I wanted those real bad!
I remember eventually getting a plastic Saturn V model that was pretty cool: All the stages came apart and you could simulate the mission. The control module would attach to the LEM and pull it out, etc.
Wonder what ever happened to that thing.

I was six, family was on a road trip from Massachusettes to Arizona. We were staying in a Howard Johnson's hotel. Didn't get to see the lift-off on the 16th because Dad wanted to hit the road early. So i guessed my parents weren't nearly as geeked as I was...

I was talking to my Mom about this yesterday. Only recently did I realize that I wasn't keeping my parents awake against their will on July 20, 1969 - they would have been up to see as well.

I have gotten past the frustration that our nation abandoned such a great adventure, and now feel truly blessed to be alive to witness history.

Originally posted by sandman
Well, on July 20, 1969 I was 17 years old

You were ONLY 17 in 1969?

Boy, someone told me you were old but you're just a youngster:D

Well, I was 20 on July 20, 1969 and had just gotten a new Z28 Camaro.

My priorities were different too ;)

I guess my math was wrong???

Duh!!

I was 21 not 17!

sandman

I was 12.

Watched it on a big old black and white set.

My cousins were visiting and were making too much noise in front of the "good TV".

So I watched it all alone on the old set.

HEY, wasn't I supposed to have gone to the moon by now? :confused:

I think that's what they told me was going to happen.

Maybe they just forgot. :mad:

Back