Apollo 11 Moon landing 46th anniversary today.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
I know alot of you haven't forgotten today's date in history...

For a young boy growing up in quiet Delavan Wisconsin it sparked a small interest that began with planes, went on to model rocketry...a brief career in the USAF working on ICBM's, to well...driving a humble Semi-Truck down the highways.
The Apollo program and, Skylab left me with so many hopes and, dreams of the future and, what i might see in my lifetime. It was a great diversion from the four channels of TV we had back then and, the daily news of what was going on in Southeast Asia.

Where we've gone since has been debatable in the advancement of Space travel but, on this day not so long ago...Three Kings set out on a plume of man's most primitive invention (fire) and, crossed the great divide to not only witness and, experience another planet in our solar system...but, return safely home too tell the story.

On the shoulders of many man AND, woman who labored to help only a chosen few take that ride. What a an incredible accomplishment and, thank-you for your hard work/sacrifices along the way to make this happen.

Many nights as i'm steering my Semi-Truck across the dark highways of the Midwest i sometimes look up and, see the moon shining brightly in the sky and, think...I weigh 30-40 tons, i have seven computers controlling every function in this truck, i have three triangles and, a cell phone to use if i break down (trust me Freightliner electronics leave me little confidence) and, i can reach a ramp or shoulder if anything fails and, still get rescued.

They didn't have that option and, yet they volunteered to go. It takes me four years to equal the distance they did in eight days and, yet alot happens in my short trip.

Where are we going today and, tomorrow? Don't know, asking the wrong person here...but, i'd like to think that we haven't lost the ability to dream big and, work for it. I know we haven't.

There will more than a few of us looking up in the sky tonight remembering those iconic words and, thinking what it would be like to stand back and, watch it all as an invisible guest...on that day...at that moment.

Thanks for the memories...now let's go make some more. ;)

I remember it. It was a day that the world stopped and watched three brave Americans do what had never been done before.

And I also say well done to the thousands upon thousands of men and women who designed, built, tested and launched these three men into space. Without their hard work these men would have never made it to the moon.

And another job well done to the New Horizons team for their successful trip to Pluto and our first good photos and data of that intriguing world.

I was a boy in a small Texas town watching it develop live.

[YOUTUBE]sTBIr65cL_E[/YOUTUBE]

BTW, spent many summers up at Lake Geneva, so I've been to Delevan WI many time. Did you ever have breakfast at Millie's? Beautiful farm country up that way.

Greg

I was a boy in a small Texas town watching it develop live.

[YOUTUBE]sTBIr65cL_E[/YOUTUBE]

BTW, spent many summers up at Lake Geneva, so I've been to Delevan WI many time. Did you ever have breakfast at Millie's? Beautiful farm country up that way.

Greg

Suprisingly Greg, we never ate at the *Pancake House* while we lived there...I've always heard it was good though!:p
Last year I attended a launch up at the Bong State Park, retreated back to good friend Preston Nobile's home (Thanks again Preston!) for the night...and, drove down that way on my trip to Sather Ranum's home in Rockford. (Another good friend!)
Hadn't seen the old home in 35 years. Wow! Outside of a few changes, it STILL looked the same!
Anne and, I will be up there shortly on vacation, thanks for the reminder on Millie's, this time we're stopping...along with getting a C:D:Dler STUFFED with Cheese Curds!

I'm told I got to watch it live on TV too, but I don't remember it. I was busy recovering from my own big day.

Now that I think of it... I was living in Florida in 1971... I may have gotten a chance to see some of the other launches (Apollo 14 and 15) that took place that year. I'll have to ask mom about that when she gets back from camping. We moved back to Oregon in November (just days before my sister was born), and were on our way to Hawaii in January 1972.

Last edited:
Great post Gus!!

I didn't get to see it live. I was in the barracks in Berlin, Germany, that night. It would have been about 4:00 AM there when they landed I think.

I did watch it the next day and was in awe of the guys who went. It was a different time.

Back