Apogee Zeyphr Finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me. I rounded LE only. Rounding that leading edge is probably the absolute easiest way to increase your apogee. Depending on the motor, the difference can be as much as 150-300'

No, I don’t sand fins on HPR kits. I’m not looking to set altitude or speed records. If the fins don’t come beveled it’s not worth the effort for me to do it myself. I also built a Zephyr.

I am building my Zephyr right now. I bevelled the leading edge only but I contemplated bevelling the trailing and side edges. The hole in the fins is just a little too close to the edge for that. No rounded edge but a 30° sharp bevel. I have a B&D mouse sander that made the sanding work easy. I followed up with filling the surface and power sanding with 120 grit. I may come back with a 240 grit and touch it up but she looks fine to me. 😍🚀

So many people have left the edge squared off but I wanted to go a little further than "most people" because I prefer the aesthetics of the bevelled leading edge. Hey, nobody said we have to be the same!

I also built a Zephyr for my L1. I wanted to airfoil the leading edges on the fins after watching Patternflyer's build thread but decided not to because of time constraints leading up to the launch.

launch-pad.jpg

Back