Apogee Zephyr L1 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little red marks so I dont pull the epoxy too far to the rear.
Little red dots on the spacers matched to dots on CR so I put it on correct orientation after I slather both with epoxy when installing it.
3d printed fin alignment

View attachment 410098
With those deep notched centering rings, do the fin alignment guides really help anything? There doesn't seem to be a lot of play in those fin tabs and notches.

<snip>

When I was playing with the sim file, I noticed that most all of the G motors were 29mm. That's what I'll probably fly the most. I don't have any other 38mm birds (yet).
You say that now.

Just wait until you find a vendor with an H115DM in stock.

Dark Matter motors are why most of us got into rocketry but we just didn’t know it until we saw one boost.

What’s not to like: Smoke, sparks, and LOUD.

With those deep notched centering rings, do the fin alignment guides really help anything? There doesn't seem to be a lot of play in those fin tabs and notches.
Absolutely true. Those 2 centering rails and deep notched rings are a nice feature on this kit. There was only a few degrees of wiggle. But I like fins to be straight and it's no trouble to clamp them into alignment just to be sure. One less thing to think about.

Last edited:
You say that now.

Just wait until you find a vendor with an H115DM in stock.

Dark Matter motors are why most of us got into rocketry but we just didn’t know it until we saw one boost.

What’s not to like: Smoke, sparks, and LOUD.

A lot of clubs do not allow sparky motors. The flying locations around here are not conducive to sparkies, dry grass, corn stalks or bean leftovers burn far too easily. I'm just saying...

Sorry to hear that. I prefer green and red flames over smoke and sparkies myself but we have lots of desert and sagebrush for them.

I've got a couple Mojave Green motors I've been saving for attempting a night flight at some point. I think most of my Aerotech reloads are either red or white.

Back on track, any updates on your Zephyr? I started planning my Zephyr build today, then spent the afternoon masking off the yellow on my Loc 4" Goblin, preparing for painting the single black fin.

Back on track, any updates on your Zephyr?
The Zephyr is just standing over there in the corner awaiting a paint job. I need to get some green paint and primer next time I'm out.

I also have a bare dx3 that needs paint as soon as I pick some colors so looks like I'll make a day of it soon.

IMG_20200404_061335193.jpg

Nice! I was going to fly my zephyr this weekend for the first time as well on an H123 for my L1, but the second the sun touched it the nose cone almost fuses itself on, another 2 zephyrs there having the same problem, one guy almost sanded shoulder to try and get it safe. I didn’t feel comfortable and didn’t fly.

anyone else having nose cone issues with the zephyr?

anyone else having nose cone issues with the zephyr?

I was saying something like this over the weekend. It was my LOC Micro-Magg though, not the Zephyr. The Magg has a similar size/shape NC.
I was wondering if the heat or humidity had affected the NC or the BT.
I sanded my LOC nose, but the Zephyr was maybe a little bit tighter? but still ok.

G’day Alan, nice build.

Do you have a link for the .stl file for the fin alignment jig?

Kind Regards,
Tadge

Do you have a link for the .stl file for the fin alignment jig?

I'm not sure of the exact stl file, I have a bunch of them. I know I used this parametric jig from Thingiverse. You have openscad? Just set the fin thickness and BT diameter.

You almost don't need it. The built-in alignment tabs are very good on this kit. I just used the jig for my own peace of mind.

I'm not sure of the exact stl file, I have a bunch of them. I know I used this parametric jig from Thingiverse. You have openscad? Just set the fin thickness and BT diameter.

You almost don't need it. The built-in alignment tabs are very good on this kit. I just used the jig for my own peace of mind.

Thanks Alan,
I’ll look into it.
Tadge

This thread is just to document the build for L1.
Nothing special about the build, but I already know I will deviate from instructions in one or two places. Nothing major.
Kit arrived yesterday.. I'm excited to jump in.

When I decided to L1, I wanted a 38mm and I had a couple of kits in mind. LOC IV, Zephyr, possibly a Patriot.

I wanted a big rocket (4"), and something that looked a little different from the rest of my collection.

I chose the Zephyr because it's a more complete kit than the LOC IV, great value for the money, and I didn't need to buy anything extra. Plus it just looks pretty cool.

Unboxed with my JLCR which arrived at the same time

View attachment 409775 .
I went against advice to use the Zephyr for my L1, and then with Apogee’s dual deployment addition for my L2 with a J270W.

I don’t think you can get a better built L1 rocket kit for $89.

While the included nylon shock cord needs protecting with a Nomex sleeve, most people’s arms aren’t long enough, or their hands small enough, to reach a quick disconnect for replacing the shock cord. And a thin 100# Kevlar shock cord is more susceptible to zippering.

I would also echo the recommendation for the AeroTech 38mm motor retainer.

I went against advice to use the Zephyr for my L1, and then with Apogee’s dual deployment addition for my L2 with a J270W.

I don’t think you can get a better built L1 rocket kit for $89.

While the included nylon shock cord needs protecting with a Nomex sleeve, most people’s arms aren’t long enough, or their hands small enough, to reach a quick disconnect for replacing the shock cord. And a thin 100# Kevlar shock cord is more susceptible to zippering.

I would also echo the recommendation for the AeroTech 38mm motor retainer.

They make a payload bay for Zephyr?

Agree with you on the $89 point. I looked around, and I don't think there's a better value available. Was the reason I chose this over a Madcow or Loc IV.

Zippering is not a problem if the kevlar thread does not extend beyond the body tube. Mine ends a foot or so inside the tube. And given how I finally attached it, it shouldn't be a big problem to replace when I need to do that.

I bought the Aerotech retainer as well.

I had a near perfect L1 flight, used a JLCR, and the rocket landed within a couple hundred feet of the launch rail.

I already have another H motor ready to go next time I'm able to get out.

thanks for the comments.

Agree with you on the $89 point. I looked around, and I don't think there's a better value available. Was the reason I chose this over a Madcow or Loc IV.

Zippering is not a problem if the kevlar thread does not extend beyond the body tube. Mine ends a foot or so inside the tube. And given how I finally attached it, it shouldn't be a big problem to replace when I need to do that.

I had a near perfect L1 flight, used a JLCR, and the rocket landed within a couple hundred feet of the launch rail.

thanks for the comments.

thanks for the comments.

Apogee makes a $34 98mm Ebay which you combine with one of their 98mm x18” airframe tubes that come in a 2-pack for about $15.

For a while they were selling it as a bundle with a dual deployment decal, and still might do you a deal if you called and asked. If you do, tell them hi from me ‘cause I’m a regular.

What you’ll have then is their Peregrine with Zephyr fins. Check out the RockSim files for each and you’ll see the same part numbers except for the fins. That means you can nearly rely on the simulation data from the Peregrine for choosing motors.

I think every one of my 38mm birds has flown on 29mm motors at least once. Do you use Apogee's Rocksim program? If not, I highly recommend it. Apogee has a warning on the Zephyr page about using low power 29mm motors, which I'm certain you've seen.

I may build mine with dual deployment so I can actually put a few 38mm CTI motors in it.
The problem with some 29mm G motors is that they won’t accelerate the rocket fast enough to achieve the 43fps necessary for the fins to stabilize it by the time it reaches the end of the 96” launch rail. One of the columns of the RockSim summary page shows this launch velocity for each rocket.

You don’t want your rocket leaving the rail and going sideways.

Back