New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'High Power Rocketry (HPR)' started by Alan R, Mar 21, 2020.
Epoxying fins today. I have 15min epoxy, and it's not super-thick. One at a time.
Little red marks so I dont pull the epoxy too far to the rear.
Little red dots on the spacers matched to dots on CR so I put it on correct orientation after I slather both with epoxy when installing it.
3d printed fin alignment
All the main stuff done. Epoxied the retainer. Had to do a lot of sanding. I got tired and used the Dremel to take off one whole layer of the motor tube before it fit.
Deviated from instructions and used Titebond for fillets and the coupler.
Now I have to figure out that motor adapter. And I need a cool paint job. Green drip?
Looks like you did a great job.
I built the Zephyr's big brother, the Katana. Also an awesome value from Apogee and comes with EVERYTHING, sans motor retainer. I really like the chutes - inexpensive, but they feel nice and pack very small. I built mine 95% stock per the old-school instructions and didn't think twice about it. Tim makes good stuff and knows how to build 'em. I can't believe somebody upthread was complaining that the recovery harnesses didn't have pre-sewn loops. Geez, tie a knot.
One mod that may help your build is to reinforce the bottom of the body tube. These 4" tubes are wimpy and easily get dented. Looks like yours already suffered some dings. I like to take a thin strip of coupler or body tube and glue it around the bottom of the body tube, doubling its thickness.
Thanks! That crossfire was my first BAR kit.
Absolutely a great value. Really, the only thing you need to buy is glue. Even the nomex chute protector is in there.
Good eye, ya, it did get dinged early on. Making that aft CR a bit of a struggle to pull in and out sometimes during the process. Hence the red alignment dots.
No body tube or coupler left now so cie la vie.
Another good tip to file away for the future though.
Doesn't have to be tube or coupler. Cut a bunch of strips off a sheet of card stock ( or anything ) and just layer them in until it is stiff enough.
The kits are good value but like most of his kits they come with thin tubing. The reinforcement techquie I used on other kits I would also coat the tubes edges with thin CA
I wouldn't say 'thin'. I think there's probably only 3 tube manufacturers. This is the same stuff (OD, thickness) that LOC uses. Exact dimensions as my 4" Magg.
Bored today. I might just do that.
A good coat of epoxy on all surfaces of the aft area will be plenty of reinforcement.
This is what I do as a minimum on my "paper" rockets.
Finished motor adapter.
That looks like one of these, only smarter.
It's a LOC 38/29 adapter. Couple of motor tubes and paper centering rings. I added a the kevlar "puller" thread and 3D printed the washer.
Separate names with a comma.