Apogee Zephyr Build/Level 1 Cert Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The first thing we need to do is find the instructions..." Um, noooooooo. The first thing you do is toss the instructions over your shoulder and say, "I won't be needing these." You're in the big leagues now!

Nice! Love this bird, flew mine a bunch until a H550 motor failure killed it this weekend. Ill be replacing the kit however :)

Oh man!!! So sorry!!! Scary to think that something outside our control can destroy our “babies”! Such is the risks we take I suppose. Good luck with the next one. No matter the outcome, at least the building process is fun!

You know the CRs are loose like that because they are machined wrong. What I would have done is use a a couple wraps of tape on the CR line and then put on the CR to butt against tape, which will keep it from moving on you and keep it perpendicular. You can also apply a bead of wood glue to the area. Using "wood glue" run a nice fillet and wipe clean with your finger. Let it set up and then run a fillet along the back of the ring. Did you know the wood glue itself is stronger than the parts being bonded? Epoxy has it's place and normally used for bonding unlike materials. Fiberglass and wood or plastic etc.

You will fit right in this forum where 90% of the people on here over build their projects and end up with a tank. You could build this entire kit with wood glue and get better flights. If you would have used wood glue it would have been easier and less mess and clean up.

Good luck!

I just finished my Zephyr and will be going for Level 1 cert on the 20th. My students are so excited, as am I. My oldest, turning 18 on the 19th was so excited he had his parents order his Zephyr kit.
That’s exciting! I won’t have mine ready by then, but I wish you well and please let us know how it goes!

You know the CRs are loose like that because they are machined wrong. What I would have done is use a a couple wraps of tape on the CR line and then put on the CR to butt against tape, which will keep it from moving on you and keep it perpendicular. You can also apply a bead of wood glue to the area. Using "wood glue" run a nice fillet and wipe clean with your finger. Let it set up and then run a fillet along the back of the ring. Did you know the wood glue itself is stronger than the parts being bonded? Epoxy has it's place and normally used for bonding unlike materials. Fiberglass and wood or plastic etc.

You will fit right in this forum where 90% of the people on here over build their projects and end up with a tank. You could build this entire kit with wood glue and get better flights. If you would have used wood glue it would have been easier and less mess and clean up.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advise. For getting my Level 1, I’m not as concerned about performance, just survivability. I’m sure as I progress to future projects, I can be a little less “robust”, but I just want this thing to survive. I am trying new things, like rounding the leading edge, but I could have done without that. I have been extremely impressed with the wood glue on my smaller rockets, but wasn’t sure how it would handle the heavier loads.

@Patternflyer you inspired me to start the Zephyr L1 build. 🙂

20210216-114027-resized.jpg

20210216-130324-resized.jpg

Little more progress today.

Attachments

• Shock cord.jpg
    Shock cord.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Tac glued.jpg
    Tac glued.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Rail buttons.jpg
    Rail buttons.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 30
  • RP ready.jpg
    RP ready.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 31
Just adding some progress updates to @Patternflyer L1 video build thread. Internal, external tight fin fillets, CR rings, JB weld on motor retainer. 80% complete just the tube coupler to join mid tube, parachute and nose cone attachment. 🙂

Attachments

• Fillet prep.jpg
    Fillet prep.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 27
  • RP internal.jpg
    RP internal.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 28
  • fillets.jpg
    fillets.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Aero Pack Retainer.jpg
    Aero Pack Retainer.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 27
AC, I can't tell you how excited I am to see your progress! She's looking real good! Very clean build! What color scheme are you going with? I'm sticking to the facecard photo from the package. I've gotten the base white and the green fin tips done. Now I need the black nose cone and inner part of the fins. Waiting between coats is a true test of patience! LOL

Keep up the good work and thanks for the updates. I look forward to seeing more! My Part 7 should be up in a week or so, or whenever I get the painting done.............

Back