Apogee X-15 with Rail Buttons?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Reaction score
I'm working on my X-15. The goal is to fly it at NYPower in about 46 days.

The host club "Mars" requires the use of rail buttons on anything over an "E". I'm concerned that the 1010 rail may interfere with the wings. I'd hate to use standoffs.

Any suggests or hints?

Thanks!

Do you have a chunk of 1010 rail? If so, just try the fit before you drill holes. I have an X-15 also, not Apogees, but just about the same size. I have both 1/4" lugs and rail buttons. On opposite sides, under the wings.

Apogee has been great with support. They have informed me that it is my responsibility to re-engineer any alterations to the design. Unfortunately, I do not have any 1010 rail. I may be forced to model the profile.

Can you fly at other clubs? Just don't fly it there. Problem solved. Maybe save flying it with your own launch equipment if you have it?

That's not a problem solved, It's a problem avoided! I'm building it specifically to launch at NYPower!! Truthfully, it's very difficult for me to get out to a launch these days. I'm taking vacation to do this fantastic launch.

I tried to seat the channel of a 1010 rail flush to the body tube. With one rail side touching the bottom stab the opposite side was riding up on the wing fairing ever so slightly. Maybe 1/8". Your results may differ. So if you decide to mount rail buttons you would probably need a slight standoff.

Since this kit just came out I presume this is the maiden flight?
Why not maiden her with the stock lugs on an E motor?
Since the stability is marginal to the point that an engine retainer is not recommended, I would maiden her on the lightest recommended motor, a 29 or 24mm E. If the flight is OK, then you can move up in motor weight. Apogee lists the following on the X15 web page:
29mm: E23T-5 Apogee 520'
24mm: E20W-4 Apogee 608'
E30T-4 Apogee 759'
E28T-7RMS Apogee 776'
Anyhoo, whatever you decide please show pics of the NYPower launch or it didn't happen. 😁
Cheers.

I've been away, but last I recalled I was able to use micro buttons and rails at my local club on the LP pads. I even bought a micro rail myself to align the buttons (which were tiny). I think I even made an adapter so I could mount the micro rail onto a 3/16" rod base.

I tried to seat the channel of a 1010 rail flush to the body tube. With one rail side touching the bottom stab the opposite side was riding up on the wing fairing ever so slightly. Maybe 1/8". Your results may differ. So if you decide to mount rail buttons you would probably need a slight standoff.

Since this kit just came out I presume this is the maiden flight?
Why not maiden her with the stock lugs on an E motor?
Since the stability is marginal to the point that an engine retainer is not recommended, I would maiden her on the lightest recommended motor, a 29 or 24mm E. If the flight is OK, then you can move up in motor weight. Apogee lists the following on the X15 web page:
29mm: E23T-5 Apogee 520'
24mm: E20W-4 Apogee 608'
E30T-4 Apogee 759'
E28T-7RMS Apogee 776'
Anyhoo, whatever you decide please show pics of the NYPower launch or it didn't happen. 😁
Cheers.

Thanks for the effort, I really appreciate it. Your findings are exactly what I expected. I think I'll try to incorporate a 1/4" standoff. Hopefully it doesn't have too much effect on the flight.

I'll do my best to get the photos. My buddy is coming with me this year specifically to photograph rockets.

Back