Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to join the Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge?

• Total voters
  • I'd like to add a clear canopy, but I haven't found one yet.
I have a suggestion. Try model airplane kits or parts. Specifically jet fighters. Lots of variety in the static plastic models and some in the micro R/C airplane (pusher props) category thx to LiPo power.

You should be able to find listings for partial kits on eBay. Also check ads in R/C airplane magazines and associated websites for custom parts. A local hobby shop might have some open box kits they might part with for a price.

I have a suggestion. Try model airplane kits or parts. Specifically jet fighters. Lots of variety in the static plastic models and some in the micro R/C airplane (pusher props) category thx to LiPo power.

Yes, that is a good idea. I actually have a few R/C airplane canopies, but they're much too large for BT-60. But you're right, I should be looking at the micro R/C jet planes.

I wish that local hobby shops existed around here. I used to leave near a fantastic hobby shop (actually worked there for a few years, yay employee discount!), but where I currently live there is nothing.

How about a build thread on your concept build?
Got a name yet?

I may do that, I took a few photos along the way in case I decided to start one. I have a tentative name in mind, I'll see if it gels. Either way, I think it will make a good winter project.

First of all: Wow.

The first article (linked from the linked article above) states that the construction is "aluminum frame skinned in shaped foam panels". Is the surface there really just painted foam, or is the a fiberglass layer?

The first article (linked from the linked article above) states that the construction is "aluminum frame skinned in shaped foam panels". Is the surface there really just painted foam, or is the a fiberglass layer?
The styrofoam was added on top of the aluminium frame, then shaped to the correct contours. The area where that was done is still foam-infested. A wrap of self-adhesive white vinyl was applied over the top of the foam for strength and robustness. No fiberglass was harmed in the making of those airframes. Fins were aluminium square frames, with a fiberglass surface skin.
DSC_3111.JPG
This pic should give you a good idea of construction. That's me wiring in the pressure-driven separation system.

(Article) Just foam: wrong.
(Joe's supposition) FG wrap: wrong.
(Designers/builders) Vinyl wrap: good thinking, guys (by good thinking guys).

Back