Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to join the Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge?

• Total voters
Rocketarium Turbo Vortico
Aerotech RMS "G"
turbo vortico.jpg

And did someone say "cool flames"?
1019190411.jpg

Screamin' Green Meanie, Nano, Micro, and Minie Magg

1019190422.jpg

And Mini Squat.
Shout out to Mark Hayes and Stickershock 23
Great work, man!

These two rockets belong to Scott Taylor. I think he had this photo of his Nike blown up and framed.
IMG_1447.JPG nike.jpg
Our Prefect Paul's big orange rocket on an M1500 I think it was.
m8500.jpg
Whitney Richard's (Bayourat) Max Attack on God knows what.
SAM_1600.JPG
My Tyrannosaur on my L2 flight. Puny compared to the others.
lvl 2 liftoff.jpg
I think this is DeepOvertone's L2 flight, MAC 4" Blackfly, with a little Photoshop filtering.
IMG_4212 edited2.jpg

Ensign Christopher Pike was a bit disappointed in his first assignment after graduating from Star Fleet Academy:
1020190120.jpg

But decades later he was awarded the command of Star Fleet's finest, the NCC-1701 Enterprise:
1020190134.jpg

(The rocket is a Fliskits Paylord. 3X 24mm heavy lifter).
1020190148.jpg

Cheers.:rolleyes:

My 1:1 scale flyable Saturn V in its custom built storage facility. Now waiting for 5 ea 6,770 kN thrust motors from CTI.

23154029494_c3a119f930_k.jpg

Oct. 21
21st - Rocketry Gone Wrong - Oops, that wasn’t supposed to happen. Was it a cato or a lawn dart? Maybe it is just a zipper or the wreckage from a hard landing. Videos are allowed here too.

This is the "before":
0514190640-jpg.383271

And the "after":
1020190220.jpg

M2F2 Space Camel.
Launched a couple of weeks ago, she U turned and power pranged into the ground. Too bad, as it trimmed nicely after hand tossing. Into the trash can she goes. Move on, nothing to see here.:D
Laters.

My beautiful Callisto on her maiden flight. This was a Loki G70 Cocktail. And was thelast straw for me drilling delays.
Callisto Fail.jpg
Wildman Sports are in early this year.
This is the purple/black one I posted earlier. Only damage was the clear coat on the nose cone. I now have an E-tool as part of my range gear.
20170401_143511_resize_93.jpg

My Deuce^2 of July core sample:
June 8 launch-1.jpg

On this flight I forgot to tape the motors in. The motor that ignited second was left behind (went whizzing sideways somewhere) so the flight went on with on motor, and actually did OK (considering) until the motor ejected itself.

Amazingly, the ground was so soft that neither the cardboard body tube nor the paint sustained any damage.

At the bottom of this hole (at least 7' deep) is a 4" Madcow Frenzy (failed L3 cert) , that went Mach 1.2, 16000' and then right back home. Not sure as to the reason of failure.

Presentation1.jpg IMG_2230 (1).jpg

At the bottom of this hole (at least 7' deep) is a 4" Madcow Frenzy (failed L3 cert) , that went Mach 1.2, 16000' and then right back home. Not sure as to the reason of failure.

OH wow. Are you going to launch again? Yes, the paint on the dirt walls is rather impressive.

Those are a couple of very lucky soybeans.

On this flight I forgot to tape the motors in. The motor that ignited second was left behind (went whizzing sideways somewhere) so the flight went on with on motor, and actually did OK (considering) until the motor ejected itself.

Amazingly, the ground was so soft that neither the cardboard body tube nor the paint sustained any damage.

That's a pretty good result. It looks like the nose cone came off, was the second motor ejection enough to pop itself and the nose cone? But somehow not the parachute?

Saturday at the monthly DARS launch in Gunter TX I flew my 24 year old Estes Maxi-Force on three Ecoco Max F44-8 cluster. Sadley only one motor lit first and withdrew the ignighters on the other two. Results were a low flight, ejection occurred about 100' above ground zipprring the tube and breaking a fin....time to rebuild again. 20191021_105900.jpeg20191021_105842.jpeg

Oct. 22
22nd - Your Favorite Rocketry Tool - What is the one gizmo you have in your workshop that you think everyone in rocketry should own? Remember to describe it, and why it is so useful to you.

Tough decision. So many choices.
Estes fin alignment guide. Kuhn tube cutter. Quallman fin guides. 3D printer.
But this is my most used tool:
Articulated digital operating member.
Comes in a set of 5.
Approx. 7cm long, 2cm wide.
Rocketry uses:
1. Smoothing fillets.
2. Burnishing and peeling off masking tape.
3. Flipping pages of instructions.
4. Applying decals.
5. Pushing in igniter plugs.
6. Launching rockets.
7. Picking boo..... never mind.
And so many other uses. Very versatile.:D
1022190616.jpg

Last edited:
Belt sander turns an afternoon worth of plywood tapering or centering ring shapeing into about 15 minutes. Longest I've used it recently was shaping the fairings on that Phoenix missile and that was only because it was at interesting angles and all 8 had to match

Just the other day I was making nose weight pucks out of slit 2' tubing, but I forgot to slit one and it was the same diameter as the tube it was to go into. Peel of the paper, and not a minute later the belt had it down to fit,

I know, just bustin' ya. I was thinking how much different the tools for LPR are vs. those for HPR. Plywood and fiberglass are really different animals from balsa and basswood.

Possibly my favorite rocketry tool, and non-rocketry tool.

Ode to an X-acto:

Oh, how I love thee,
look below and see
the finely textured grip,
so my fingers don't slip
to finely control the tip.
it cuts straight and smooth
or curvy if I choose.
My favorite tool
within arms reach as a rule.
You may now ridicule
this awful poem.

xacto-24947_x3201_DV_WebXL.jpg

Nyt's post reminded me of a tool I overlooked.
Oscillating tool with attachments.
Cutting attachments for wood, plastic, lexan, even soft metal.
I use it to cut ply and clear fins.
Detail sanding attachment.
Scraper attachment.
Plus, dozens of uses for home improvement:
Cut wood molding and trim.
Cut PVC and copper pipe and gutters.
Plunge cut through dry wall to add access panels.
Undercut door jambs for laminate flooring and threshold installation.
For small and occasional jobs, replaces much larger and more expensive power tools.
1022190858.jpg

Back