Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to join the Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge?

• Total voters
Estes Big Yank clone
1012191938.jpg
Simple mini engine design. This was one of my first clones when I returned to the hobby. Perfect for dusting off my long dormant rocket building skills.:D
BTW I cleaned up the decal scan on the JimZ site, it prints on white decal paper with red or blue background. Edit the background colors or change your paint to match colors, and trim around the decals. Built this before I knew about home printed decals.
est0868_Decal.png
Laters.

Oct. 14
14th - Rocket Build Pile - What rocketeer doesn’t have a stash of unbuilt kits sitting in a box somewhere. Just pull it out, blow off the dust, and snap a photo of it. We’d like to see what you been hoarding away for a rainy day.

Oct. 15
15th - Collectable - Since you had your rocket box out, find the one item in it that you think has the greatest value to rocketry collectors. We want to drool all over it.

Well, it says Collectors Series so I guess it's a collectible.
1014192143.jpg
Estes Maxi Brute re-issue #1269. Box had water stains, so paid a ridiculously low price on eBay.
Plastic two part nose cone, vacu-form fins, no balsa! My kind of rocket.
Parts were in sealed plastic bags, so no damage other than some stains on the decal and some insect damage on the edge of a pattern sheet. Hope to build this next year.
Cheers.
BTW did a quick check, there are two listings currently on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTES-HONE...EDITION-NEW-/123930606254?hash=item1cdad6faae
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Es...Mint-in-Box-/163903641544?hash=item26296b17c8

Oct. 17
17th - Rockets and Kids - Kids are even cuter when they’re involved in rocketry. Do you have the next Einstein in the making?

I am leading a TARC team this year and I was thinking that since only one width is required, we should just make the whole rocket out of BT-70 tubes. Is this better (more stable/predictable) than connecting BT-70 tube at the front to a BT-80 tube at the back and using a transition? If so, are there transitions I can buy that connect two BT-70 tubes or would I have to print them.

Been a bit busy lately and not going good on this challenge at all. Crazy hours at work, nasty allergy/sinus issues, mini vacation; that and I haven't had anything to add. This one I can definitely do though.
Starting with a not so model rocket. Our trip to New Mexico in June 2018. She had her traveling diaper on in case of accidents on the long trip and we had just finished our picnic at the WSMR Museum. Oreo on her face, posing next to a rocket..America!! LOL
white sands.jpg

A few of her with smaller rockets: Start em early
20160511_210849.jpg 20160511_211622.jpg Viper assistant.jpg big daddy 2.jpg

The blue and yellow one I posted farther up the thread, I let her polish it for me. One of my favorite rockets. The Big Daddy is also a favorite. It was the first "big" rocket I ever got. The near wife got it for me for Christmas one year. She finally attended a launch last month. It was so hot and I spent a couple hours looking for my Ethos, she wasn't all that impressed with the experience. Hopefully the next launch will be better.

I am leading a TARC team this year and I was thinking that since only one width is required, we should just make the whole rocket out of BT-70 tubes. Is this better (more stable/predictable) than connecting BT-70 tube at the front to a BT-80 tube at the back and using a transition? If so, are there transitions I can buy that connect two BT-70 tubes or would I have to print them.

o_Oo_Oo_O
What the heck are you talking about? This isn't the thread for discussing TARC.

Hi firpisto,
What you want are called "couplers". Here's a link to one of many rocketry vendors who sell bt-70 couplers:
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-couplers-cpl-70-4-1pk-sem-cpl-70-4/
Ideally a single long tube would be better rather than coupling together two shorter tubes.
As far as stability, a more important consideration than body diameters is the relationship of the center of pressure to the center of gravity (when fully loaded) of your rocket. Lots of resources on the internet, google "model rocket stability".
I understand the TARC competition this year involves egglofting? Good luck to you and your team!
BTW there is a sub-forum here specifically for educational programs like TARC. The forum users there can expertly answer your questions:https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums/beginners-educational-programs.41/
Cheers.

Oct. 18
18th - Rocket Club - If you’re involved in a rocketry club, this is your chance to promote them with a photo you took at a rocketry event. If you aren’t involved in a club (yet), then run down to your local rocketry supplier and snap a photo of their rocketry supplies.

Also MDRA, I've never seen so many big, crazy, fast, high, clustered, staged, awesome rockets. 'N' Sparkies. A 'P' motor? Yes, a 'P' motor!

Near the end of the day at Red Glare visibility gets limited because of all the rocket smoke in the air...

P4060434.JPG

Oct. 19
19th - Cool Flames - Somewhere you’ve taken a photo of a rocket that has an awesome flame and cool column of billowing smoke. Maybe it was the mach diamonds in the exhaust. Let’s show how visually exciting rocketry can be.

Back