Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to join the Apogee Rocketober Photo Challenge?

• Total voters
Last edited:
Oct.4
4th - TARC or educational rocketry photo - This one is to show the world that you’re paying forward for the hobby. Upload a photo of a TARC egglofter rocket or a group of students working on rockets.

Oct.4
4th - TARC or educational rocketry photo - This one is to show the world that you’re paying forward for the hobby. Upload a photo of a TARC egglofter rocket or a group of students working on rockets.
Makes me feel guilty about not doing a program for my local middle or high school.

Ole Miss Rocket Rebels.
Enthustiatc bunch of students. The young lady in charge of the parachutes hung out at my base camp until her teammates arrived. It was funny, she ran over before the vehicle came to stop to look over my rockets and setup. I had two failed recoveries that day and joked with her asking if she was the one packing my chutes.

Their rocket flew on an M1297 and broke up at Max Q. Sadly they haven't returned. First thing to land was the payload section, freefall from about a mile up. I didn't help much except to add comic relief.
IMG_2770.JPG

My Ethos or Callisto would be my prettiest rockets. I mixed my own pigments, added metal flake and shimmer pigments, unfortunately pictures don't do them justice and they are somewhat plain looking in the pictures. So for me either my Wildman which has gotten the "you spent WAY too much time on that paint job" or my 4" Cowabunga which I spent more time on. You decide:

1.jpg wastelander 3.jpg

It's a tie between my 3" BalckFly and my Super Neon XL. I guess I'd have to go with my SNXL because of the difficulty in painting the interior of the tube fins.
SNXL (BombPop).jpg

Difficult choice for me, but I think I have to go with this one:
full

This one will show up again later in the month.

I'm NOT a selfie person, so this took some practice. Actually, I'll call it an "Us-ie". His pencil rocket that we built yesterday, and me with "Bare Metal". It was my first scratch built, first mid-power, and first dual deploy rocket. I've flown it a gazillion times, I bring it to almost every launch I go to. I've augmented the fins, shortened the body tube, and repainted it more than once. The Kevlar is starting to show some age, and the Nomex is ragged, it may be retired in the near future. The Eggtimer Classic manual says that it will fit into a BT-55, and yes, it does.

PA061043.JPG

Love the paint job in Bare Metal! Don’t think I’ve seen that one before.

(And also, that's a great selfie!)

Last edited:
Oct. 7
7th - Rockets and Pets - Pets are a big part of our lives, and everyone on the internet coos over them. Let’s have an Ahhh moment where they get to see how your pet enables you to have more fun with rockets. If you don’t have a live pet, a “pet rock” will do.

I was thinking of borrowing the neighbor's lovable Corgi, but better judgment prevailed.
1007190329.jpg
Kitty loves chasing Birdies. I bring her to my launches to shag rockets, saves me from some long walks.

..............................................................................................................................

If you believe that, might I interest you in some Hawaiian real estate?
lava.jpg
2 lots, beautiful ocean views, cheap.
Full disclosure: lots may be subject to occasional increases in elevation and temperature.
:D

Aloha.

Oct. 8
8th - Range box - Let’s see what you take with you when you go out to a launch. If your range box has stickers on it, we definitely want to see that too.

Range box after Sunday's launch. A jumbled mess.
1008190345.jpg
Contents:
Launch pads:
Porta Pad E, camera tripod with Adeptor, mini launch pad, deflectors
Rods:
MX, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4" rods
Controllers:
Estes/NCR Command Controller, 2 Quest controllers
Baggies of igniters:
Stock Estes, pyrogen dipped Estes, Quest Q2G2, Quest Tiger Tails, First Fire Minis, PS II sonics
Baggies of plugs
Clip whip
Wadding, Dog barf
Clothes pins and expended casings for stand offs
Masking tape
Baby powder
Orange tracking powder
Small box with electronics and instructions:
Estes altimeter
JLCR
Keyfob camera
Sonic beacon
et al.

Larger launch hardware is in a separate baseball bat bag.
Laters.

Last edited:
Back