Apogee Rocket - Shipping Costs explained - Makes sense

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "cost" of shipping is not just what USPS, UPS or Fed Ex charges you. The back office operation has costs too....some operations are more efficient than others. Those costs need to be covered somehow. Small one-man owner operated shops tend to undervalue their time, Tim may not have that luxury.

Apogee is not obligated to charge you what you think is fair. They are obligated to stay in business.

The first thing I heard Tim V. say in the vid was,
if you order a 3" tube and a 4" tube the site charges you to ship a 3" and a 4" tube
not knowing / understanding a 3" tube can be put inside a 4" tube..
Makes perfect sense to me..
That's why he winds up refunding shipping charge overages..
My site is extremely simple..
It only knows to stack shipping charges for dissimilar items..
When I get an order for 2 harnesses, a 2 loop and a 3 loop
2 shipping charges were added by the website..
I refund the overage,
I charge 1 shipping charge, plus 1 dollar for the added weight of the second harness..
Then I see an order for two 3 loop harnesses..
I understand why the order was placed that way.
So I send an email asking if the flyer would like a 2 loop and a 3 loop..
I explain it won't cost 2 shipping charges,,
just 1 plus 1 more dollar..
Creating and running my site has made me learn fantastic respect for sites like ebay and Amazon..
Having a website calculate shipping charges and be anywhere near accurate is extremely complex and difficult..
I refund shipping charge overages constantly..
Please try to be understanding of all of us that try to get our websites to calculate shipping charges
as close as we can before we have to calculate the charge by hand..

Teddy

The "cost" of shipping is not just what USPS, UPS or Fed Ex charges you. The back office operation has costs too....some operations are more efficient than others. Those costs need to be covered somehow. Small one-man owner operated shops tend to undervalue their time, Tim may not have that luxury.

Apogee is not obligated to charge you what you think is fair. They are obligated to stay in business.

My money is too hard to come by and I have no intention of throwing it away, just to keep a company in business for others who try to justify exorbitant costs, for whatever reasons.

When walking the streets, it is advisable to avoid certain areas . . . The same thing holds true for online shopping and the businesses, therein.

If one feels some sense of "duty", "honor", or "noble sacrifice" to patronize a given company, in spite of higher costs and/or inflated shipping costs, they have "drunk the Kool-Aid" and deserve the outcome they receive.

Dave F.

My money is too hard to come by and I have no intention of throwing it away, just to keep a company in business for others who try to justify exorbitant costs, for whatever reasons.

When walking the streets, it is advisable to avoid certain areas . . . The same thing holds true for online shopping and the businesses, therein.

If one feels some sense of "duty", "honor", or "noble sacrifice" to patronize a given company, in spite of higher costs and/or inflated shipping costs, they have "drunk the Kool-Aid" and deserve the outcome they receive.

Dave F.
Dave, Who is suggesting its our duty to support inefficient operations? Certainly not I. That is the beauty of the free market, you get to decide where value lies and conduct business accordingly. But you don't get to decide value for anybody else.

I admit I am spoiled rotten as far as rocketry is concerned. My club meets at eRockets every week and my high power motor vendor comes to nearly every meeting and launch. I never pay shipping on anything.

Telling Tim directly in the past has elicited replies like "we're not for people like you"
???
When I mentioned to Apogee customer service a year or two ago that one of their kits was priced substantially higher than on the manufacturer's website they promptly readjusted the price down to match the manufacturer.
Seems to me that their biggest problem is that their shipping calculator consistently overestimates the actual shipping compared to other vendors shipping calculators. Should be a fairly easy fix, just switch to a better calculator. Right?

Dave, Who is suggesting its our duty to support inefficient operations? Certainly not I. That is the beauty of the free market, you get to decide where value lies and conduct business accordingly. But you don't get to decide value for anybody else.

I have never "decided value" for anyone else. Rather, I have spoken from my own perspective. I have stated how I "perceive value", personally, and the way I approach achieving that end in my shopping practices.

Regarding those who "have a duty to support" : Those who come "charging to the rescue" to defend Apogee whenever a negative sentiment is expressed regarding the company, apparently out of some "perceived fear" that Tim Van Milligan will "close up shop" because someone doesn't like how he does business.

Frankly, that behavior is not dissimilar to an abused child defending an abusive parent ( no, I am not saying the Tim is an "abusive parent" or anything else . . . Just an analogy )

In closing, if people want to spend extra money for whatever reason, that is on them . . . I, however, prefer to "shop around" to get the best deal for myself ( yes, for myself ). If people don't like that, keep shopping the way you do and I will do the same !

Dave F.

We do not need two thread on Apogee’s shipping prices - merged.

If you do not like the prices, don’t buy from apogee.

Personally I dont care for Apogee or their owner but that is a personal opinion.
I find that eRockets has most everything I ever need and Randy is Helpful and shipping is lightening fast.
The only time I buy from Apogee is if there is not another source and even then it is with great hesitation

Not necessarily, to be discriminated against, you must first be a part of a protected class.

Hmm . . . Race . . . Gender . . . Sexual Preference . . . Immigration Status . . . Political Beliefs . . . Pick one and "spin the Wheel of Fortune" !

Tim's choice of "not for people like you" sets him up for stereotyping, right off the bat, and discrimination is "right on its heels" . . .

All it takes is an unscrupulous, bloodthirsty lawyer and, if you have it in writing, it's pretty much a "slam dunk" . . . If he said it openly on the internet, you can add slander, libel, and character assassination to the litany of allegations!

Properly played by an attorney, it would probably put Apogee out of business and bankrupt Tim with the civil judgment. Depending on the circumstances, the ACLU might get involved, too.

Dave F.

Let's not be absurd, it's quite a series of leaps from high prices and shipping to doomsday via hearsay.

Tim writes a decent book, publishes some quality articles, ships many products others don't carry, and charges premium prices.

Last edited:
Tim's choice of "not for people like you" sets him up for stereotyping, right off the bat, and discrimination is "right on its heels" . . .

All it takes is an unscrupulous, bloodthirsty lawyer and, if you have it in writing, it's pretty much a "slam dunk" . . . If he said it openly on the internet, you can add slander, libel, and character assassination to the litany of allegations!

Properly played by an attorney, it would probably put Apogee out of business and bankrupt Tim with the civil judgment. Depending on the circumstances, the ACLU might get involved, too.
I don't understand how a bonkers slippery slope argument like this is helpful to the discussion at hand.

Tim charges more than most of his competitors, both for shipping and for the products themselves. At the same time, he puts more into his website and supporting material (videos, etc.) than pretty much anyone else.

Buy from him or don't, it's your choice.

Sexual Preference is not a protected class unless you can prove the offender knew. The again, this is a tangent Get back to the topic.

Dave F.

well said!

The again, this is a tangent Get back to the topic.

OK . . . Apogee is overpriced and overcharges for shipping and I don't care why they do it, in someone else's opinion !

I think Tim should come on the Forum and participate in an open "Q & A" session, where all questions are valid and un-moderated . . . Let's hear him, in his own words.

Dave F.

I have never "decided value" for anyone else. Rather, I have spoken from my own perspective. I have stated how I "perceive value", personally, and the way I approach achieving that end in my shopping practices.

Regarding those who "have a duty to support" : Those who come "charging to the rescue" to defend Apogee whenever a negative sentiment is expressed regarding the company, apparently out of some "perceived fear" that Tim Van Milligan will "close up shop" because someone doesn't like how he does business.

Frankly, that behavior is not dissimilar to an abused child defending an abusive parent ( no, I am not saying the Tim is an "abusive parent" or anything else . . . Just an analogy )

In closing, if people want to spend extra money for whatever reason, that is on them . . . I, however, prefer to "shop around" to get the best deal for myself ( yes, for myself ). If people don't like that, keep shopping the way you do and I will do the same !

Dave F.

I'm the same way. The amount of money anyone else wants to waste on ridiculous prices and shipping costs ...I say go for it!! I can think of better ways to spend my money like maybe motors or kits or supplies...maybe a cafe mocha at Starbucks? Dave you don't have to explain yourself. If some people do get it then that's on them? Hey if I can get the same kit for less and only spend $8 for shipping verse $15 you bet I'm going to take the less shipping and best price. I'm not here to "support" companies like Apogee. If their business fails then that's on them not me. The only time I would ever buy anything from them is if it was my very last choice, which it most cases I ask myself if I really need that item and most cases I don't. I think over the last 5 years I place maybe 2-3 orders with them. Who cares if someone browses the website and decides not to buy from them...let me say that again...who cares! If those of you who are out there and support paying higher prices and shipping costs because you feel obligated hey more power to you, but don't play Internet Police and tell those who don't buy from the site yet browse the site its a big NO NO whatever!! Me and maybe not you I'm out for the best rice I can find. I don't care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back