Apogee Rocket - Shipping Costs explained - Makes sense

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So now I know why the costs to ship is so high. Great video and worth watching and well explained

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Shipping-Fees-Explained

who can argue that Apogee is a fine company and has a very detailed website and well designed. The video is a good explanation why the costs are so expensive to have items shipped. He really does touch on some important aspects that most of us have experienced with other manufacturers. I guess the bottom line is whether or not you choose to buy from Apogee. I have in the past and was always happy with the service, but I only buy there when I need something I can't get elsewhere or as a last resort, its just not my "go - to " site to purchase items.

I've learned so much from his videos and newsletters. I'll be going out of my way to drop a few dollars on his site just because I want to support him and his company.

No company is perfect. Someone explained that most vendors do not pay the bills from their rocketry business. Instructions are nice not deal breakers. IMO an exploded parts diagram is acceptable. I intended to place an order with Apogee and shipping costs were $120+. Talk about sticker shock. I’m not overpaying and waiting for a refund.

No company is perfect. Someone explained that most vendors do not pay the bills from their rocketry business. Instructions are nice not deal breakers. IMO an exploded parts diagram is acceptable. I intended to place an order with Apogee and shipping costs were $120+. Talk about sticker shock. I’m not overpaying and waiting for a refund.

$120 plus Really? That's just crazy! What did you order?

$120 plus Really? That's just crazy! What did you order?
My order was 3" and 4" cardboard airframes and bunch of other parts. I prefer to get parts from one vendor to minimize shipping costs. I split the order between Apogee and another vendor. I didn't contact Apogee for an explanation. I'm surprised Apogee's shipping algorithm is neither accurate nor precise.

My order was 3" and 4" cardboard airframes and bunch of other parts. I prefer to get parts from one vendor to minimize shipping costs. I split the order between Apogee and another vendor. I didn't contact Apogee for an explanation. I'm surprised Apogee's shipping algorithm is neither accurate nor precise.
Yeah I think I would mention that to them

I've learned so much from his videos and newsletters. I'll be going out of my way to drop a few dollars on his site just because I want to support him and his company.
I look at it this way: Peak of Flight is free. If I had to pay a buck an issue, $26/year, I'd pay it happily. At the rate I order stuff I probably don't spend much more than that in excess Apogee prices as compared to others. (I wish I ordered enough to make it more, but I don't) So I'm happy to send the money in the form of price rather than a subscription.

On the other hand, $120 has got to be some kind of mistake, some error in the algorithm, and one that should be corrected.

I shamefully admit I wimped out on an order last night. I was ordering two LOC 4" tubes, 3 couplers, one stiffy coupler, and 3 sets of centering rings for these tubes. Material was around $75
When it came back with a $46 shipping charge, I went elsewhere with only a $13 shipping charge. Maybe I would have been refunded some of the difference, but without knowing how much I just couldn't bite that bullet

Apogee seems to be a really great source of high quality parts and resources.
They are however a little higher on their prices than many other vendors. However the customer service is the best around and they do provide extra perks that others don't.
I shop for the best value for my labor working. The best value can be Apogee, or sometimes not.
I do want to thank Apogee for all the work they do to make our
obsession better. I do prefer doing buisness with Apogee, but sometimes the cost difference justifies the choice to ho elsewhere. It would be great if Apogee would price match with other major suppliers.

Apogee seems to be a really great source of high quality parts and resources.
They are however a little higher on their prices than many other vendors. However the customer service is the best around and they do provide extra perks that others don't.
I shop for the best value for my labor working. The best value can be Apogee, or sometimes not.
I do want to thank Apogee for all the work they do to make our
obsession better. I do prefer doing buisness with Apogee, but sometimes the cost difference justifies the choice to ho elsewhere. It would be great if Apogee would price match with other major suppliers.

Well said. I don't think their shipping methods are always accurate. If you ordered 4 plastic parachutes, why would you spend $10 to ship them or more? I mean I don't know exactly what the shipping would cost, but you get what I'm saying. Items like that could be placed in a small flat rate shipping box for a few dollars less or even some type of card board or padded envelope. You are absolutely right. They have a great website and the service is outstanding, but at what price are you over paying for such service. I mean I bought from Mike at MADCOW and always had great service. He has always answered my emails in a timely manner yet his shipping rates are fair and his prices are reasonable. I guess with Apogee and it's just my pet peeve I could never quite understand why some of the items he sells are actually above MSR prices, this includes building supplies, kits retainers etc. Look at the prices he charges for AT kits verses what WM charges even if your not member, WM prices are still lower, because he's within the suggested MSR price. Sorry don't mean to get on a rant. I like Apogee but geezzz lets be somewhat realistic. You purchase a $40 kit and you pay $20-25 to ship it? At some point it's not worth it, then you ask why is it Joe Rocket will ship the same kit for $9.85?

I shamefully admit I wimped out on an order last night. I was ordering two LOC 4" tubes, 3 couplers, one stiffy coupler, and 3 sets of centering rings for these tubes. Material was around $75
When it came back with a $46 shipping charge, I went elsewhere with only a $13 shipping charge. Maybe I would have been refunded some of the difference, but without knowing how much I just couldn't bite that bullet

That's my point as I stated above. At some point it just doesn't justify spending so much on shipping verses what your cart total is. As far you know you may have not got back enough to even justify it. Apogee = a very nice place to shop Shipping = not user friendly. It's like going into IHOP and ordering a stack of pancakes and paying $5.99 then going to a specialty pancake house and getting basically the same thing, maybe they might bring you a fancy napkin or a nicer plate, but its the same pancakes and paying $12.99

The crazy part is, you can definitely call them! Or write an email.

Yes, they should get a web person to fix their shopping cart shipping part.

But webstores aren't everything.

Yes. I’ve always had great service from from Apogee. I don’t recall any excessive shipping costs over the pond to Oz, either. However, I have only ever purchased non-bulky items from them.

I have had some horror shipping estimates from many US-based vendors for bulky items.

Apogee . . . Great Selection . . . Newsletter . . . Videos . . . Higher Prices . . . Higher Shipping.

Frankly, I only order from them, if I can't get an item anywhere else.

Typically, I use their their website as a "catalog" and, then, go shopping elsewhere.

I appreciate Tim's efforts, but can't abide price gouging.

Dave F.

I have great respect for Tim, and consider him to be one of the top 2 or 3 individual contributors to this hobby. I have watched a number of his videos, and always read Peak of Flight. Apogee's website has more useful information than anyone's. I don't often buy from them simply because they're not the best source for the kind of stuff I usually need, although admittedly it is also hard to knowingly pay more for stuff when there's a choice.

I have to say that I did *not* particularly appreciate the tone of that shipping charge video. Most of it seemed to be quite negative, taking shots at all the other rocketry vendors, almost like Tim was in a bad mood when he made it. Would have preferred to see more focus on what makes Apogee good instead of what makes others bad.

I primarily use Apogee when I need a bunch of miscellaneous components from several different vendors. It's a handy one-stop shop when I don't want three separate shipping charges from various other places, and helps me plan ahead.

That being said, I haven't bought a motor there in 3 years

I have great respect for Tim, and consider him to be one of the top 2 or 3 individual contributors to this hobby. I have watched a number of his videos, and always read Peak of Flight. Apogee's website has more useful information than anyone's. I don't often buy from them simply because they're not the best source for the kind of stuff I usually need, although admittedly it is also hard to knowingly pay more for stuff when there's a choice.

I have to say that I did *not* particularly appreciate the tone of that shipping charge video. Most of it seemed to be quite negative, taking shots at all the other rocketry vendors, almost like Tim was in a bad mood when he made it. Would have preferred to see more focus on what makes Apogee good instead of what makes others bad.

I agree he did sound a bit upset for having to explain his shipping cost. I think a positive spin on it would have been much better. I figure if he didn't have such high shipping prices he wouldn't have to make video explaining why? Oh well. The bottom line is we all have options and choices.

Apogee . . . Great Selection . . . Newsletter . . . Videos . . . Higher Prices . . . Higher Shipping.

Frankly, I only order from them, if I can't get an item anywhere else.

Typically, I use their their website as a "catalog" and, then, go shopping elsewhere.

I appreciate Tim's efforts, but can't abide price gouging.

Dave F.

So you’re directly contributing to the problem of taking his efforts, but not paying for them. Thus making the quantity of orders he has to spread his costs over smaller, and the prices higher.

So you’re directly contributing to the problem of taking his efforts, but not paying for them. Thus making the quantity of orders he has to spread his costs over smaller, and the prices higher.

By browsing browsing his website, I am under no obligation to buy anything from him. As a smart consumer, I shop around for the best deals.

Ask yourself this . . . How are so many other vendors able to deliver the same items at lower prices and with lower shipping costs ?

By browsing browsing his website, I am under no obligation to buy anything from him. As a smart consumer, I shop around for the best deals.

Ask yourself this . . . How are so many other vendors able to deliver the same items at lower prices and with lower shipping costs ?

Dave does have a point;) Like I said we all have choices. He has a very nice website and puts a lot of effort in maintaining it, which is a lot of work, so rightly so he expects to be paid for his efforts. Anyway I'm no expert on running a rocket business or shipping, but again how are other vendors able to keep their shipping cost down? I always figured if you have the best prices and fair shipping cost you will make more. If I was Tim I would think about the number of people that he lost as customers not wanting to buy from him because his prices are too high and his shipping cost. I'm sure that could really add up. I'm not sure and don't quote me, but I remember he had a video where he was kind of snarky about the type of hobbyist buying from his site. The impression I got was if you can't see the difference between his site and others then you shouldn't buy from him or something to that effect? Not sure again, but it was an older video.

Last edited:
I'm Canadian. Getting anything over the border costs..

I just took advantage of the Madcow sale today, and am expecting to pay duties when I go pick it up. I asked for USPS as they are [typically] the cheapest. UPS is close to robbery for cross border shopping, and I've gone to a few vendors who insist on using them. I've canceled those orders because they can't be bothered to put it in a box & walk it to the post office, even when specifically asked. "Sorry, we don't offer that.." I don't think some realize potential lost business because they stick with one (or two) carriers only, and those who have excessive "international" shipping fees. (maybe it's a contract thing, that they can only use Shipper A or B.. But still, lost business and aliening potential customers, especially international ones.. I would expect Canada to be a bit of an exception, as we are so close, USMCAA/NAFTA, etc...)

UPS is the worst, with other carriers getting more reasonable. I just had an order from McMAster Carr, via Purolator, for $13 to my door. UPS would want around $40, because of "brokerage fees". USPS parcels asks for duties & taxes at my post office.

I think, as well, that many US suppliers forget that they may be the only source for us, and many other countries.. We need you in order to pursue our interests, but have a hard time justifying shipping costs associated with certain couriers or algorithms..

I've looked at Apogee's site. He costs more than the others. I've seen one or two of his videos, and read a news letter or two. To me, nothing special or worth while. If he wants to put out videos & such, that's his prerogative. I'm not going to buy from him, at his prices, just because he's the only one doing so.. Again, to me, Apogee is just overpriced..

Last edited:
There is no such thing as price gouging.

Really ? . . . Ask the people in areas of major hurricanes after the guys in trucks show up, selling ice for $20.00 - $50.00 a bag . . . I grew up in South Florida !

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/9-for-...it-by-price-gouging-ahead-of-hurricane-dorian

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/wea...0190830-trfbsv4u2fej3jkne4zxcle6ya-story.html

https://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/5D2710E379EAD6BC85256F03006AA2C5?OpenDocument

Dave F.

I think the fact you browse his website and not theirs clearly answers that.

Shop wherever you like, but be prepared for resources you enjoy using to disappear if you don’t support them.

I think the fact you browse his website and not theirs clearly answers that.

Shop wherever you like, but be prepared for resources you enjoy using to disappear if you don’t support them.

I browse Apogee's website because he has a wide selection and detailed descriptions of items.

I refuse to be a "captive" who supports my "captor" ( Stockholm Syndrome ).

If for no other reason, Tim's ego will keep him in business, for a long time.

Then don’t buy your ice from them. Buy your ice at the corner store that charges $2.99 a bag

Then don’t buy your ice from them. Buy your ice at the corner store that charges $2.99 a bag

Obviously, you have never been in that situation . . . Guys like that show up after the storm, bringing ice from outside the area, while the power is still out, over a 30-50 mile radius . . . No electricity, No Ice, No running water . . . No Air Conditioning . . . South Florida . . . Hot & Humid as Hell . . . You will buy ice, then !

The electricity is often out for weeks, after a major hurricane. There are trees down, power lines down, often you can't get out of your own medicate neighborhood, either. You have to live through to properly understand it !

fl-ne-hurricane-michael-apocalypse-20181011

Here is your "store" . . .

Last edited:
All sorts of predators come out from under their rocks after natural disasters.

However, that really has nothing to do with Apogee’s prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back