Apogee Peregrine - Single Deploy Build Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messedupryan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on an apogee peregrine, which is a kit designed for dual deploy. I want to use this for my L1 cert, and I want to fly it single deploy. I understand this is as simple as putting the larger chute below the e-bay and not having a second charge. This leaves me wondering what I do with the upper tube section and the nose-cone. Based on the build instructions, there are rivets to hold the e-bay in place to the upper tube, and the parachute is attached to the nosecone. In a single deploy setup, do I need to do anything to secure the nosecone? My plan is to work up to dual deploy, so I don't want to do anything to hinder that effort, but I want to be able to safely fly this with just a single chute.

Consider using these: Removable Plastic Rivets

I use them on clear payload sections in LPR for a secure, tape-less connection, and I used them in my MPR Madcow DX3 single-deploy build so that I could use the upper section as a safe spot for altimeters.

Is the drouge bay large enough for the main? You could replace the av bay with a baffle held in place by rivets or screws. Then you could fly as a regular single deploy. Then when you want to do dual deploy remove the baffle and put the av bay in it's place.

You have a couple options for single deploy on a dual deploy rocket

1) move the main parachute to the lower section and secure the nose to the payload section with either shear pins or tape to secure the nose cone. ( I strongly recommend leaving the nose cone to av bay shock cord in place. Murphy's law and all...
2) Remove the avionics sled and bulkheads and fly it with the lower shock cord attached to the nose cone/main parachute. You can secure the av bay coupler to the lower airframe with tape, shear pins, or just leave it friction fit. It should be fine, it won't go anywhere if it comes loose during descent.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

You have a couple options for single deploy on a dual deploy rocket

Im leaning towards Option 1, it seems to be the most straightforward approach. I am really glad to hear you mention the upper shock cord, my plan was to attach it and not put a chute in there. That Murphy guy shows up and ruins everything ;)

I just got my L1 using the same idea since I plan on trying dual deploy next. I've never used an altimeter before so I just included it on the flight for recording purposes and relied on motor for chute ejection and removed the drogue but put the main in the aft section. I used shear bolts on to attach the upper section to the avbay since I had already predrilled in anticipation of setting it for dual deploy. Since there was no charge in the upper, the shear bolts remained in place.

I bought the Apogee Dual Deploy add on kit and avbay. It's basically an 18" extension that connects to the lower section by inserting the avbay. It worked like a charm. Since I flew it with the electronics it gave me a chance to use and examine the data. Next month I hope to run it as a dual deploy but still use the motor ejection charge as a backup for the drogue deploy. (I like redundancy). I've attached a photo of the Zephyr just before it's maiden voyage where I got my L1.

Attachments

• ZephyrL1[1].jpg
    ZephyrL1[1].jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 20
I feel a tad bit silly, but they have good detail on the apogee page:
Certification flights can be stressful because there is a lot of additional planning that goes into them beyond a normal fun flight. We at Apogee want you to be successful on your certification flights, and we have some advice on how to make them less stressful.

1. Do NOT use dual deployment on an L1 or L2 certification flight. As we explain in our article, "The 7 common mistakes people make when attempting a Level 1 Certification" dual-deployment adds another level of complexity to the certification flight. Just use one motor - and walk a little bit further to retrieve your rocket. You won't lose points nor prestige by walking a long way to retrieve your rocket after the flight. A long walk just makes for a better "fishing tale" afterward.

2. The Peregrine is a dual deployment rocket. But you don't have to fly it using dual deployment. Imagine that... It can be flown with just a single parachute too. If you do it this way, then you could use it for L1 or L2 certification.

The Peregrine wouldn't be our first choice of a rocket for L1 or L2 certification. But it could be used for this if you set it up for single parachute deployment. Here is what you'd need to do:

• Remove the small 18-inch parachute from the base of the e-bay. Store it in a safe place on the ground during the flight.
  • Move the large 48-inch parachute from the upper tube of the rocket, and attach it to the base of the e-bay.
  • Don't set up any electronics for certification. It would be best to remove any electronics for the certification flight, but it won't hurt if you leave them in the rocket. We don't recommend activating them (turning them on) for the certification flight because it just adds complexity and stress to the flight. It is another thing to remember to do when you really don't need to do it.
  • Tape the nose cone on the top of the rocket - Not on the inside for a friction fit - but wrap it around the outside, over the joint of the tube and the top of the tube. Yea... it will look ugly, but it is desirable to keep the nose cone on the rocket for a certification flight. You don't lose points if your rocket looks ugly at launch. If the nose cone comes off, at least make sure the shock cord is attached to the nose, connecting it to the top of the e-bay tube as shown in the directions of the kit.
That's really all you need to do for a single parachute recovery on the Peregrine. Simple is good for an L1 or L2 certification flight. After you have done that, then, by all means, test out the dual-deployment capabilities of the rocket. You'll have fun and it will give you a lot of satisfaction to perform a complex flight controlled by onboard electronics.

I obtained level two status on my apogee peregrine without using the dual deployment. The main chute fit fine in the lower section, even with a jolly logic chute release. I simply used blue masking tape to hold the nosecone secure. I would use the plastic rivets instead.
Also, I had to rebuild my Zephyr and actually made a Zephyr XL, by adding an eBay and an 18” top section. Hoping to fly it in a couple of weeks. Also rebuilt a section that makes it the traditional Zephyr.

Back