Apogee Peregrine Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure to put clear coat on those decals...especially the silver on the fins. You will see the sun reflecting off of those decals at 4,500 feet before you ever see the rocket. You don't want those decals coming off!

Wanted to stop by and say thanks for this thread @Wally Ferrer! I am going for my L1 cert with a peregrine next week and this thread was 100% my inspiration. I must have read it 100 times by now, easily. Thank you for sharing your build in such detail, you gave a random stranger on the internet the motivation to jump into HPR!

What a great thread! Thanks for documenting so well.

I’m building a Zephyr - which has the same motor mount technique as the Peregrine - including using a Kevlar cord to help pull the bottom ring out.

The Kevlar cord is a genius idea but a little clumsy. Can’t quite get a good grip.

I loosely screwed some deck screws into the holes and found it is a lot easier to maneuver into place - especially with rotating. See pic.

15C6FA98-E91D-45AF-AB05-C4DE6AAA50E0.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks- me too! I mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and poured it in to get a good joint on the upper centering ring and left it overnight. If I went by the instructions I would just have made fillets on the tube/ring joints when adding the internal fillets.

View attachment 453056View attachment 453057View attachment 453058

Any advice on a substitute for "rocketpoxy"?

Apogee Rocket "rocketpoxy" has been out of stock, so I assumed I should try to find an epoxy substitute that had a thicker consistency,... ended up using PC-11 putty epoxy (https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Coating-Putty-PC-11-160114/dp/B00869HJDS). It's thicker than I was expecting.

I did the inside of the motor area with PC-11 and glued the back motor ring on. The thick consistency was a pain to measure and work with. Thicker than latex caulk and did not dry smooth. Looks terrible. Surely is strong enough?

I like your use of the HobbyLink "liquid" epoxy for the forward centering ring. I'll plan to use a similar liquid epoxy when I do the front side of the forward centering ring. Wonder if I should drill into the back centering ring mount and see if I can flow some liquid epoxy in to get the rear side of the forward centering ring?

What to use for the fin fillets instead of "rocketpoxy"? The PC-11 might work if I smooth it. Anything else?

Thanks.

It's very easy to overbuild- epoxy adds weight, so as long as you have a good top fillet, you probably don't need to add a bunch on the bottom side. I can't speak to the strength of PC-11, it looks to have a plumbing/sealing function, as long as it bonds well to wood and paper it may work. I'm no epoxy expert, only familiar with the Bob Smith line and RocketPoxy. And JB Weld on the motor retainers.

Any advice on a substitute for "rocketpoxy"?

Apogee Rocket "rocketpoxy" has been out of stock, so I assumed I should try to find an epoxy substitute that had a thicker consistency,... ended up using PC-11 putty epoxy (https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Coating-Putty-PC-11-160114/dp/B00869HJDS). It's thicker than I was expecting.

I did the inside of the motor area with PC-11 and glued the back motor ring on. The thick consistency was a pain to measure and work with. Thicker than latex caulk and did not dry smooth. Looks terrible. Surely is strong enough?

I like your use of the HobbyLink "liquid" epoxy for the forward centering ring. I'll plan to use a similar liquid epoxy when I do the front side of the forward centering ring. Wonder if I should drill into the back centering ring mount and see if I can flow some liquid epoxy in to get the rear side of the forward centering ring?

What to use for the fin fillets instead of "rocketpoxy"? The PC-11 might work if I smooth it. Anything else?

Thanks.
Just wanted to mention that I used PC-11 on my Perigrine for the internal thru the wall reinforcement and it worked just fine. No one is going to see this slop, so it doesn’t matter. I weigh out the PC-11 to get the right mix. My Rocketpoxy expired two months ago and I’m waiting on Apogee as well.

Try PC Super Epoxy. From what I have seen of Rocketpoxy they are very similar. It stays where you put it, doesn't run or drip. Makes nice filets too. Plenty of working time. I can do filets for 4 fins inside and outside before it gets too thick.

Back