Apogee Peregrine Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress is slow. but I have been sanding and painting rockets that have been waiting some time as well. Today I was going to spray chrome on the nosecone, but after close inspection there were some tiny raised bumps from spatter I think from the tail end of the rattle can- not much, but enough for me to want to do a quick wet sand with a 2000 grit and apply another coat of gloss black from a fresh can before chrome. I think it will be worth it... 🤔 :dontknow::clapping:

IMG_1329.jpgIMG_1330.jpgIMG_1331.jpgIMG_1332.jpg

I confess I've never been a huge fan of the Peregrine fin shape - but your paint job more than makes up for it. Beautiful work!

Progress is slow. but I have been sanding and painting rockets that have been waiting some time as well. Today I was going to spray chrome on the nosecone, but after close inspection there were some tiny raised bumps from spatter I think from the tail end of the rattle can- not much, but enough for me to want to do a quick wet sand with a 2000 grit and apply another coat of gloss black from a fresh can before chrome. I think it will be worth it... 🤔 :dontknow::clapping:

View attachment 462923View attachment 462924View attachment 462925View attachment 462926
I like your discipline . Anything worth doing is worth doing right! Good call and glad you took the time to do it right! Nice work!

My original idea was going to be painting it all black, then decided to do the red bottom after all. And I was out of white primer, which I use under whites and yellows, bright colors. I have used both grey and white primer under greens and reds, and haven't noticed a discernible difference- but I will pay closer attention after this comment- always trying to improve... :awesome:

My original idea was going to be painting it all black, then decided to do the red bottom after all. And I was out of white primer, which I use under whites and yellows, bright colors. I have used both grey and white primer under greens and reds, and haven't noticed a discernible difference- but I will pay closer attention after this comment- always trying to improve... :awesome:
I mean it looks great, but sometimes when I use red over grey it either comes out darker or worst yet if you sanded an area through the grey and painted over it shows up as a dark spot. Its really noticeable. I think the paint looks great overall. Keep up the great work!!

I see you used the metallics over black undercoat trick....it really makes metallics pop....you would think white undercoat would be better, but no. Black undercoat followed by metallic is the way to go. Nice job!

Wally, just ran across this thread, and wow, great pics and build. Appreciate all the comments and hints mentioned. This may have to be another "add to my list" build. I'm about done with the Zephyr, and just hope it turns out somewhat close to what yours is looking like. Thanks for posting!

Back