Apogee Peregrine Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I continue the remaining fillets, I started working on the electronics sled and avionics bay. I believe this is the biggest difference from the Zephyr, the addition of dual-deployment capability. I like the way the sled goes together, it will be up to me to provide mounts for the electronics, along with said electronics. I did use one bulkhead to both mark and then locate the inner rings, I guess that's a belt and suspenders approach. I marked it to make it easy to avoid getting glue in the wrong place...

IMG_0144.jpgIMG_0145.jpgIMG_0146.jpgIMG_0148.jpgIMG_0149.jpgIMG_0151.jpgIMG_0153.jpgIMG_0156.jpgIMG_0157.jpgIMG_0158.jpg

I added fillets to the rings, inner edge only to keep the bulkhead side clean. I will give this edge a thin CA soak for durability before I'm finished. The sled platform gets glued into the bulkhead with the single slot. After adding a fillet to it, it was time to pull the last set of fin fillets. I do try to clean as I go... :rolleyes:

IMG_0159.jpgIMG_0160.jpgIMG_0161.jpgIMG_0162.jpgIMG_0164.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0168.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0171.jpgIMG_0173.jpg

As I continue the remaining fillets, I started working on the electronics sled and avionics bay. I believe this is the biggest difference from the Zephyr, the addition of dual-deployment capability. I like the way the sled goes together, it will be up to me to provide mounts for the electronics, along with said electronics. I did use one bulkhead to both mark and then locate the inner rings, I guess that's a belt and suspenders approach. I marked it to make it easy to avoid getting glue in the wrong place...

View attachment 453268View attachment 453269View attachment 453270View attachment 453271View attachment 453272View attachment 453273View attachment 453274View attachment 453275View attachment 453276View attachment 453277

Ooh yea this is new, now the jealousy boils 😄

The next step is drilling the rivet holes that connect the upper section, or main parachute bay to the avionics bay during flight. After drilling I use thin CA on the holes, sand them and re-drill. I learned that watching one of Scott Binder build videos. It leaves a nice clean hole in paper/cardboard tubes. Rather than use the included marking guide, I measured the distance to the marks on the guide then used my Badass fin guides to mark the tube for drilling...

IMG_0190.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0192.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0200.jpgIMG_0201.jpgIMG_0202.jpgIMG_0203.jpgIMG_0204.jpg

These holes are then used as the guides for drilling the holes in the av bay itself. Since the holes will have slight variances, the instructions say to mark the tube and switch band so that you always assemble it the same way. So inserted, marked and taped, holes drilled, and I repeat the steps with CA on the fresh holes in the av bay...

IMG_0212.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0215.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0219.jpg

With construction mostly complete ( I still need to drill vent holes and determine my electronics configuration ) I reassemble the av bay with hardware, attach the shock cord for the main, which is the shorter of the two cords- the instructions did not state to use the longer of the two on the motor mount, but if you read all the instructions before beginning as all good builders do you will discover the short one goes in the front. :cheers: I learned this from various threads on this forum, so I was happy to find it specified in the kit instructions. I inserted the rivets but did not pop them closed yet...

IMG_0220.jpgIMG_0221.jpgIMG_0222.jpgIMG_0223.jpgIMG_0224.jpgIMG_0225.jpgIMG_0226.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0228.jpgIMG_0229.jpg

The instructions say to attach the chute protectors as close to the tubes as possible, I want the to be able to fully clear so I attached them one protector's width from the tubes. The main is a colorful 48 inch nylon Apogee chute, I like it. As instructed I will use the nose cone 'loop' to attach the shock cord and parachute. There is a general consensus that it is better to make a better, stronger attachment point, and I am still considering it. But this one looks fairly strong, and so far I really trust Tim's engineering. I added a quick link and swivel as I already had them...

IMG_0230.jpgIMG_0231.jpgIMG_0232.jpgIMG_0233.jpgIMG_0234.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0236.jpgIMG_0237.jpgIMG_0238.jpgIMG_0239.jpg

The Apogee Peregrine is now (almost) ready for finishing with paint and decals- they look nice. I still need the aforementioned vents drilled and an Aeropack retainer installed. My work week begins tomorrow, and with a need to determine what I'm taking to my upcoming club launch by running a few sims, I will likely not have those ready to post until after my upcoming weekend. I will also need to decide on the altimeter and switch etc. to complete the full dual-deployment package...

IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0255.jpg

Last edited:
I'll throw in my recommendation for eggtimer altimeters, specifically the quantum if you want a wifi switch/altimeter combo. Only thing is you need to be somewhat skilled in soldering.

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion- I have a full enchilada eggfinder gps kit I still need to assemble. It may be time to put the wood glue and epoxy away and break out the solder station. I was just looking for a Perfectflite or MissilWorks, but I hear good things about the Quantum- I think I will take a look...

The fine craftsmanship work continues!! nice job Wally !!

Now I'm wondering if I could convince apogee to sell me the upper portion of the peregrine and make a bastard child with the avbay.

They do sell a dual deployment conversion kit and nose cones...

Huh, I must've missed it last time I checked. Oh well I'm already down the path of overcomplication.

As for your build are you going with the recommended paint scheme or something custom?

This is the first build I've seen in a long time where it's not being built like a tank. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the wood glue fillets. That's all you need. This rocket will get crazy high!!

This is the first build I've seen in a long time where it's not being built like a tank. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the wood glue fillets. That's all you need. This rocket will get crazy high!!
Sorry to disappoint, this one used a fair amount of Rocketpoxy and internal fillets, etc.- I did post the Madcow Little John in the what did you do rocketwise thread that was all wood glue-I'm expecting it to scream... ;)IMG_0072.jpg

If you are going to fly with the 1080 case/sized motor or larger, you are going to want a sheer pin install on the nose cone. You don't want that main coming out at 4,000 - experience talking...

Thanks, I'm thinking that's a good idea. I'm not so worried about drag separation, so I wasn't going to add any on the drogue side of the av bay, but an ejection jolt at apogee plus drogue could jar the nose loose...

Wally, how is this build going? I can't wait to see the final pics.

I've been in love with this kit since you posted this, and building one of these has become a long term goal for me!

Latest posts

Back