Apogee Peregrine Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to order a Zephyr sometime last year, but the day I checked it was out of stock. I wound up ordering a Peregrine instead, because why not. I have since seen several folks build and post photos of their Zephyrs, so I feel it's time for a Peregrine Build. Tim's kits are always a pleasure to build (the SR-72 Darkbird did give me some trouble, I may need to revisit it some day) with very detailed instructions. Unless I deviate significantly from his stock build, this will mostly be photos of the build process. It was packaged nicely, lots of parts...

IMG_0031.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0037.jpgIMG_0038.jpg

Last edited:
I roughed up the gloss coat on the motor tube followed by a little bit of edge rounding as per instructions followed marking the motor tube. I did add some CA glue to the rear, although I'll likely add an Aeropack retainer later so it isn't very necessary. Parts are tacked on with thick CA glue as per instructions...

IMG_0040.jpgIMG_0042.jpgIMG_0043.jpgIMG_0044.jpgIMG_0045.jpgIMG_0046.jpgIMG_0047.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0050.jpgIMG_0051.jpg

Added a drop of glue to the ends of the Kevlar string to make it easier to thread through the centering ring holes. I have used other methods to remove the rear ring, Tim's method works well. After the initial parts are tacked, the fins are test dry-fitted...

IMG_0052.jpgIMG_0053.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0055.jpgIMG_0056.jpgIMG_0057.jpgIMG_0058.jpgIMG_0059.jpgIMG_0060.jpgIMG_0061.jpg

After rounding off the one edge of each fin as per the instructions, they get tacked on with thick CA. After they set, the rear ring gets removed so the internal joints can be epoxied in the next step...

View attachment 452929View attachment 452930View attachment 452931View attachment 452932View attachment 452933View attachment 452934View attachment 452935View attachment 452936View attachment 452937View attachment 452938
I really like how the aft ring can be pulled back out with the Kevlar string to add epoxy very smart !!
Keeps things really in line

Looking Good. I am curious what you are using to keep the fins straight in image 0064 and others once you have them glued in? And does in come in different body tube sizes and for different numbers of fins? I am thinking of using the fins from a Peregrine kit for a scratch build but would like to use more than 3 fins.

Looking Good. I am curious what you are using to keep the fins straight in image 0064 and others once you have them glued in? And does in come in different body tube sizes and for different numbers of fins? I am thinking of using the fins from a Peregrine kit for a scratch build but would like to use more than 3 fins.
I got some fin guides from Badass Rocketry, although these fins are a bit too thick for them, it still kept them in the slot until the CA grabbed fully.

I really like how the aft ring can be pulled back out with the Kevlar string to add epoxy very smart !!
Keeps things really in line
You can do this on any rocket. You don't need the string. 1) Glue the top ring to the motor mount tube. Let dry. 2) Once it's dry, apply glue inside the rocket for the top ring to be glued in place. 3) While the top ring is curing, simply 'dry fit' the rear ring just inside the rocket to ensure the motor mount tube is straight. 4) Once the top ring and motor mount tube has cured in place, use a pencil or an allen wrench to stick through the fin slots to push out that rear ring. Then you can add fillets to all the internal joints. .... No string needed. I hope this helps your builds.

That's a good explanation/description... I have done the same thing, and I have used the screws for the LOC-type retainers as handles, and a few other methods. Just keep the tube centered, and don't get any glue on the rear ring until ready. Also if your shock cord/tether attachment method uses epoxy down the motor tube, make sure it is positioned in between fin slots.

There was that one time I added fillets to the inner joint of the centering ring after carefully ensuring it was right at the edge of the fin slots, which then prevented me from inserting the fins in all the way. I had to notch the tabs to avoid the fillets. 🤪

This particular method ensures all the fin tabs and slots are aligned, as the rings don't get glued in until after the fins get tacked in place. While not needed, it is nice that Apogee engineered a method with detailed instructions, which once used folks will easily extrapolate to other builds that don't include this level of instruction.

Thanks- me too! I mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and poured it in to get a good joint on the upper centering ring and left it overnight. If I went by the instructions I would just have made fillets on the tube/ring joints when adding the internal fillets.

IMG_0073.jpgIMG_0074.jpgIMG_0075.jpg

I added the fillets to the rear centering ring, and while it cured I sanded the couplers to rough up the surface for epoxy. Then I marked them per the instructions, one at 4 inches and the other at 3.5". Once the rear ring epoxy fillets were set I stuffed the nylon shock cord inside the motor tube to keep it out of the way. Using the same method as the backside of the forward ring, I poured some 30 minute epoxy in and spun the tube around allowing it to flow against the tube walls. There's nothing in the kit instructions about getting fillets on the upper side of the ring, and between all the other internal and external fillets I'm sure it is overkill...

IMG_0102.jpgIMG_0103.jpgIMG_0104.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0108.jpgIMG_0109.jpgIMG_0110.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0112.jpg

I’m loving your build. Having just finished building my Zephyr, I had already decided to build the Peregrine next! Your thread has confirmed that in my mind. Your photos are awesome. Thanks for sharing this experience!!!! Keep ‘em coming!

I added the short tube to aid in balancing for the external fin fillets. I put down some tape, mixed up the Rocketpoxy and poured it on and spread it with a popsicle stick. As Ian Dalton does in his Badass Rocketry videos, after 15 minutes I checked for air bubbles, and after another 15 minutes I used a fondant ball, pulled the fillets and removed the tape. These will cure overnight...

IMG_0126.jpgIMG_0128.jpgIMG_0129.jpgIMG_0130.jpgIMG_0132.jpgIMG_0133.jpgIMG_0134.jpgIMG_0135.jpgIMG_0137.jpgIMG_0138.jpg

Wally, do you have a certification for flight on this rocket you're building.?? I'm considering getting a Level1 cert.

Back