Apogee mount for Mini Switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zbench

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I love the Apogee single event altimeter and the associated mount, but it makes it hard to deployment test. It occurred to me to use a mini switch in its place in the mount. Obviously the mount is not designed for the mini switch, but, it does work. I tested it out last night with a MJG firewire and when the mini switched is turned on, it pops the ematch instantly. Might be an opportunity for some enterprising person to make a custom mount for the mini switch that fits in the apogee form factor. I was only using a 200 mAh single cell lipo and it went off immediately.

Something to consider. Since the arming screw is not there, there would be plenty of space to build up the back support and include a mounting location for the single screw on the switch and make a place to store the single cell lipo.

miniswitch.jpg

A Quantum would be a better choice for this, it has a test mode that fires the charge intermittently. The switches are on-off, so it's going to stay on until you either shut it off or remove power.

Cris,

I considered the quantum and certainly have more than a few, but it's form factor is quite a bit bigger. Since it's used for ground testing, turning it off immediately after the test is no problem. Appreciate your perspective.

It would not be very hard to write a special version of the firmware just for deployment testing. All of the WiFi products are field-programmable.

Back