Quantcast

Apogee Level 2 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you get your jigs or plans from? Looks like a great idea.
Macklin Missile Works: http://www.macklinmissileworks.com/

They will sell you the kits or the plans. I have the "small" and the "medium" versions. Those two jigs can accommodate BTs from about 1/2" up to 5" in diameter (although 5" is tight). For anything larger, you need their really big jig, which I do not have.

Apogee also sells some of the sizes, but they charge a premium over getting them straight from Macklin: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building-Supplies/Tools/Guillotine-Fin-Jig

If you don't see what you need on Macklin's site, just email them, they will most likely make it for you, they are great to deal with.

mtnmanak

TRA & NAR L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing that video, I have a new respect for green masking tape's staying power on a nozzle under flame
Ha! True! I should have taken an "after" picture of the nozzle - the green tape had a big hole burned in it, but most of it was still stuck to the retainer.

In fact, if you look at the video I posted in the Darkstar Series thread of the 2.6" DS flight last weekend, you can see the green tape actually deflect the flame for a bit - tough stuff!

Last edited:

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! True! I should have taken an "after" picture of the nozzle - the green tape had a big hole burned in it, but most of it was still stuck to the retainer.

In fact, if you look at the video I posted in the Darkstar Series thread of the 2.6" DS flight last weekend, you can see the green tape actually deflect the flame for a bit - tough stuff!
I have had electrical tape stay on, and when I put ductape on plastc retainers to protect them from flame I'll often have a ring of it still on there, but the masking tape is a surprise!

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Nut
Reaction score
looks like they didn't do a very good job on getting all four fins the same. I don't have any means to sand those fins down to be the same length as the shortest one, so they're going to have to remain different. I got ready to put them in the fin slots in the Mainframe and none of them would go in so it looks like I've got to sand open each one of them too.

Latest posts