Apogee Components - Zephyr

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMehalko

Reaction score
Surprised there isn’t a gallery for such a popular L1 kit!

Here is mine on a I245G and a I161W

Attachments

• 0B1B6C46-E54C-473C-B045-E8EE6DA7B891.jpeg
    0B1B6C46-E54C-473C-B045-E8EE6DA7B891.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 62
  • BD71865D-BD31-4EA7-B1DD-BF253058F33C.png
    BD71865D-BD31-4EA7-B1DD-BF253058F33C.png
    770.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 689C687A-FE05-47ED-9BED-B9D9BDF8FFA7.jpeg
    689C687A-FE05-47ED-9BED-B9D9BDF8FFA7.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 69
What color green did you use for the fins? It matches the decals perfectly from what I can see in the pictures!

Beautiful rocket. I've been looking at this one along with a LOC IV and a LOC IRIS.... I'm not there yet so patience prevails.

I'm building a Zephyr to go for my L1 this spring. Does anyone know the Pantone number for the green?

I'm not sure of the Pantone number but I believe Tim calls out the best match (brand and color) to match the vinyl in the instructions. You may be able to cross reference that for the Pantone number (unless you have already tried that). As there was very little green in the rocket and it didnt connect directly with the vinyl where you could see a definitive variation, I went the rattle can method.

I'm building a Zephyr to go for my L1 this spring. Does anyone know the Pantone number for the green?
I believe this is what your looking for

Rust-Oleum Paint- er’s Touch Gloss Spring Green #314751 matches the decals best).

Here is mine with the above mentioned color this color was what I read in the original direction

Attachments

• 6295726B-3500-4E6C-829A-DDF74733173A.jpeg
    6295726B-3500-4E6C-829A-DDF74733173A.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 47
I believe this is what your looking for

Rust-Oleum Paint- er’s Touch Gloss Spring Green #314751 matches the decals best).
Yes, I have found the reference to Rustoleum Gloss Spring Green #314751 but I've grown leery of Rustoleum due to bad experience with excessive wait times betwreen coats. I've switched to Duplicolor, not that I like the added expense, just the finished quality. I'm still a newbie despite building Estes rockets as a kid, then when my kids came along and recently as my grandkids have come along. Now that I have the time, I'm in it for me.

Yes, I have found the reference to Rustoleum Gloss Spring Green #314751 but I've grown leery of Rustoleum due to bad experience with excessive wait times betwreen coats. I've switched to Duplicolor, not that I like the added expense, just the finished quality. I'm still a newbie despite building Estes rockets as a kid, then when my kids came along and recently as my grandkids have come along. Now that I have the time, I'm in it for me.
What seems to work for me with rustoleum is obviously shake the can for a good 10 mins before using it and if it’s cold where you are then bringing the can up to room temp even running it under warm water helps and then I spray about 3 coats each coat I wait 10 mins in between .
1st coat is a blotchy coat then 2nd and 3rd fills in nice
That’s just my method I no there is a bunch of different opinions here
But I get what your saying
Good luck

What seems to work for me with rustoleum is obviously shake the can for a good 10 mins before using it and if it’s cold where you are then bringing the can up to room temp even running it under warm water helps and then I spray about 3 coats each coat I wait 10 mins in between .
1st coat is a blotchy coat then 2nd and 3rd fills in nice
That’s just my method I no there is a bunch of different opinions here
But I get what your saying
Good luck

i do the same. Multiple coats all within the first hour. After that first hour, wait at least 48 hours before adding additional coat or color. Definitely does not behave like automotive lacquer.

i do the same. Multiple coats all within the first hour. After that first hour, wait at least 48 hours before adding additional coat or color. Definitely does not behave like automotive lacquer.
I'm assume you're using primer first, and in multiple coats?

I'm assume you're using primer first, and in multiple coats?

correct.Using the same application method though I dont think they mention the 48hr dry time for additional coats after 1 hour on the primer. Ive sanded and re-primed rockets the next day without issue.

Building another after an H550 failure shredded the thing, thinking a Grey/Purple/Black paint job in the original layout. Stay tuned.

I'm just about finished wrapping up my Apogee Zephyr for my eventual Level 1 cert. I just have to attach the chute, and attach the shock cord to the nosecone, and then I start measuring weight and CG to perform sims.
Obviously, I went with a non-standard paint scheme. "Zephyr" is the name for a soft, gentle breeze, or commonly the "West Wind", so I wanted to emulate that idea. However, it wasn't as easy as I thought to graphically represent wind without it looking like Word ClipArt! After a lot of thought and sketches, I came up with this blue-themed, swoopy, multi-colored scheme. The nosecone and its stripe were going to be black, but I decided to try a blue-base color-shift paint from Testors, and it looks great. Overall, it's different from what I originally envisioned it would look like, but I'm still happy with it!

First flight will most likely be on an Aerotech H100 or H219 DMS.

20220802_082048.jpg20220802_082005.jpg20220802_082018.jpg

I'm just about finished wrapping up my Apogee Zephyr for my eventual Level 1 cert. I just have to attach the chute, and attach the shock cord to the nosecone, and then I start measuring weight and CG to perform sims.
Obviously, I went with a non-standard paint scheme. "Zephyr" is the name for a soft, gentle breeze, or commonly the "West Wind", so I wanted to emulate that idea. However, it wasn't as easy as I thought to graphically represent wind without it looking like Word ClipArt! After a lot of thought and sketches, I came up with this blue-themed, swoopy, multi-colored scheme. The nosecone and its stripe were going to be black, but I decided to try a blue-base color-shift paint from Testors, and it looks great. Overall, it's different from what I originally envisioned it would look like, but I'm still happy with it!

View attachment 530582View attachment 530584View attachment 530585
I gotta say you did an awesome job here!!
Unique and very clean looking 👍🏼

View attachment 530582View attachment 530584View attachment 530585
nicely done!

Back