Apogee Components production announcement.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I received the following from Apogee as a press release so I'm reproducing it here which I believe was the intent.

Apogee Components is announcing that the long-burn E6 and F10 composite
propellant motors are now back in production, and are available for
immediate shipment.

Both the E6 and the F10 are unique in that they have tremendously long burn
times compared to other rocket motors. The 24mm diameter E6 has a burn time
of 7.2 seconds, while the 29mm diameter F10 burns nearly 8 seconds
(measured: 7.8 seconds). The advantage of this is that a lightweight rocket
can literally travel out of sight. The F10 engine, in the Apogee Aspire
rocket kit can easily travel over 1 mile high!

These are the only end-burning composite propellant motors available. Like a
black powder end-burning motor, they produce an initial high-thrust spike to
get the rocket off the launch rod, and then they have a long sustainer phase
to push the rocket to high altitudes. Both motors are available in delays of
4, 6, or 8 seconds.

For more information about these rocket engines, visit the Apogee Components
web site at: https://www.ApogeeRockets.com/composite_motors.asp

Oh drool! How awesome is this!? E6 and F10 baby! Time to say bye bye to a few old rockets! LOL! GO APOGEE!

Can someone say "24mm upscale Deuce on E6s?" OH YEAH!

immediately I can think of a half dozen rockets to fly with E6 & F10 motors!!

but egads, did you look at the prices? $13.50 for E6, $18 for F10!!! Estes E9s are $5 each, and you can find RMS F12s for about $7 each. bleah!

Just what I have been waiting for!!!! Long Burn E6.....7.2 sec. burn....My 24mm mod Blurzz Rocket Car was MADE for this!!!! LAND SPEED RECORDS.....here we come!:D :D :D

Originally posted by cls
$13.50 for E6 ... you can find RMS F12s for about $7 each. bleah!
This is very true, if you have the hardware already (and can avoid losing it for 5-6+ flights). Interesting thing about the F12 (cool motor) is that it's only 3.2N more total impulse than the E6, but (of course) burns about half as long.
E6 = 100%E
F12 = 8%F
and for Comparision Estes E9 = 47.5%E

OT: I think the E6 is MADE for a 24mm Outlander...

-bill

and for Comparision Estes E9 = 47.5%E

so burn 2x E9s for $10 instead of 1x E6 for $13.50. :)

OT: I think the E6 is MADE for a 24mm Outlander...

not OT at all! I agree. can't wait to try it!

What do you think an Applewhite 10 inch 29mm saucer would do on an F10 long burn?

Well, I don't know what *it* would do, but I sure as heck know what I would be doing!

(see attached)

Jason

Originally posted by cls
so burn 2x E9s for $10 instead of 1x E6 for $13.50.
2xE9 ~= 47.5%F, which is "better".... but you also have effectively an F18, 3x as fast a burn (as high an average impulse) and 2.71x the volume and 2.95x the liftoff mass. Whether or not that's worth $3.50 is entirely up to you and your application (as if that's different that any other tradeoff we make....) ;)

Composite is interesting that way...
E9 -> 63.9g - 24mmx95mm - 28Ns - Cheap
2xE9 -> 127.8 - 24mmx190mm - 56Ns - Less Cheap
E6 -> 43.3g - 24mmx70mm - 40Ns - Not Cheap

Originally posted by rbeckey
What do you think an Applewhite 10 inch 29mm saucer would do on an F10 long burn?

We tried a Snitch on a D3. It only went about as high as on a B6 but gently arced over and impacted just as the motor was burning out. If the Applewhite saucer is *very* light and flown with *no* wind, it may keep going up the whole burn. Otherwise, I'd expect a flight like the D3 Snitch.

With my experiences with UFO's, I would not try it. All of my UFO's flown with low thrust motors hit the deck under thrust.

Maybe you could modify a 24mm or smaller version to 29mm and use it that way? I would think that the smaller one would work good on the 29mm F10...

Jason

In regards to the cost of the motors, I think despite thrust or motor comparisons, you are buying a totally new experience here not just another motor. It's an apples to oranges comparison. This is 7.2-8 seconds of burn time here folks! It's kinda like saying, "There's no way I'd ever spend $400 on an M reload - you know how many G's I could buy with that?" I say the price is right for he or she that intends on relishing in the moment of getting a crick in the neck from watching their bird sail into the silver lining. :) I don't know if it's just me, but there's something special about being able to hear the motor continue to burn long after the rocket has vanished. :D

Well said Eugene! If you're not a fan of long burn motors, then you really can't appreciate the uniqueness of these motors.

these motors were originally designed to be used in boost and rocket gliders.....especially FAI S8E RC RG......

Originally posted by eugenefl
I don't know if it's just me, but there's something special about being able to hear the motor continue to burn long after the rocket has vanished. :D

Amen, Bro!

Back