Apogee Aspire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne, unfortunately I have to work both those days. I haven't worked a weekend in as long as I can remember, ask for those two days off, and somehow get scheduled. I was going to try to trip swap them out, but never did. I am certainly bummed about missing Spring Blast.

I found this thread by searching for Aspire. I figured if I start a new thread, ten people are going to post that it's a repeat thread and I shouldn't start a new thread before I've searched for an old one. So I was trying to do my part here on the forums.

I am very interested in the Aspire. Do you run an altimeter/accelerometer on yours? I'm thinking I might get a kit and at least attempt my first glas job with a tip to tip or something. I don't think glassing the whole body will be necessary. I don't know. Honestly, I don't care if it goes mach or mile. I'm just interested in breaking my own personal records. This seems like a kit that will surely do that! I also have a Javelin which is 29mm minimum and not too long. I'm guessing that thing would go pretty good on a G too. I'm really interested in electronics though. I'd like to get the BeeLine and start doing things right. I already run the Altimeter2 on every launch. If I recall,,, you have one too, right? What kind of data have you seen? What are your records? Do you write it all down? If you don't already know, Apogee has a nice file that can be downloaded and printed for data storage in the field. It's nice to have all organized.

Anyways,,, I'll be launching some micros in the park today for your information! I just can't always get to the SSS launch site at the set times. I need a site out West on 60 that's closer to my house and I can launch any time, any day. If I fly rockets that don't need waivers, I should be fine. Although I haven't started the quest yet,,, It's my desire to find somewhere closer and easier to launch low and mid power at. Luke doesn't help things. I'm sure the F16's would NOT like to see a rocket go whizzing by! :D

In the meantime, it's about to get hot anyways, so I'll be doing more building. I find the anticipation of the launch to be as exciting as the launch itself. So for me, delaying the launch isn't so bad...

This is my thread that I started way back when.But glad that it has brought back to help you in any way.One thing to watch for is the streamer that comes with the kit.First time I launched it was on a E9-6 and had plenty of tissue,but it melted and did not deploy all the way.I have replaced it with a 4"W 50"L,ripstop nylon streamer I got from a fabric dept. at HobbyLobby.Another is the nose cone,the shoulder seemed rather soft,Apogee replaced it for me,but the replacement was the same way.But it's a nice kit and high flyer.Good Luck with your launch.cjp

I found that by painting several light coats of white and blue makes it look exceptionally glossy. Seems to produces less drag based on earlier calculations by Weston Devined Anderson.

This is my thread that I started way back when.But glad that it has brought back to help you in any way.One thing to watch for is the streamer that comes with the kit.First time I launched it was on a E9-6 and had plenty of tissue,but it melted and did not deploy all the way.I have replaced it with a 4"W 50"L,ripstop nylon streamer I got from a fabric dept. at HobbyLobby.Another is the nose cone,the shoulder seemed rather soft,Apogee replaced it for me,but the replacement was the same way.But it's a nice kit and high flyer.Good Luck with your launch.cjp

How is that nylon rip stop streamer working for you? I might try that in one of my three Aspires, just to compare. I seldom get more than two or three launches on those mylar streamers, if they don't melt, they shred. I have had some luck with dog barf, (cellulose insulation) it minimizes the melting. That and a coupler/baffle are pretty effective, although the shredding continues. When I launched it last year on an F10-8, the streamer was at least a foot shorter, but when you launch it on that motor, you're lucky to get ANYTHING back!

The original nose cone that came with my first kit back in 2006 finally failed, I had used some Future/simple green on a recent paint job and the N/C was stuck in the body tube. When I tried to remove it, it broke at the shoulder. Ordered a pair of replacements from Apogee (PN: 19714) and they fit perfectly. I also epoxy a small eyelet into the end for a more durable anchor point.

The streamer works great,you need to make sure it's wrapped to protect from the heat and I had the same shredding problems:).I'm not happy with the nose cone,but it was a free replacement.Dog barf gets stuck in the small diameter body tube,my be I used to much.With a baffle you should be worry free.

Back