Anything special for New Year's Day dinner?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up NYD dinner was always pork and sauerkraut, braised in the oven for hours. (Hot dogs were added as a sop to the younger kids who liked neither pork nor kraut.) Dad insisted, said it made you prosperous. I don't know why they never gave it up since it never worked... But it's how I learned to like kraut on a hot dog.

Around here the tradition is blackeyed peas with hog jowl. Kinda threw me for a loop the first time I saw hog jowl in the market, and here I'd always thought it was only something made up so that Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies could cook something disgusting. :) Anyway, we don't have a tradition for NYD dinner; Thanksgiving and Christmas were enough!

Wondering what personal traditions were out there.

Nishime (root vegetable stew with meat)
Namasu (thinly sliced cucumber, carrot and white radish marinated in a vinegar sauce and chilled)
Kuromame (black beans cooked in a sugary sauce) for long life.
Sushi

Dad liked sashimi (raw premium grade tuna) on New Years but mom didn't care for it and never partook. He would make a dipping sauce by mixing some soy sauce and Coleman's powdered mustard in a small dish. I'm ambivalent towards it but may pick up a small block of yellowfin just to keep up the tradition. Of course bluefin is the ultimate but so expensive, especially around New Years.
And of course mochi.
Happy New Year!:eggnog:

Blackeyed peas and cornbread. I may cut up some ham steak I have left over from Christmas and add it in.

I never cared for black eyed peas, the only one I dislike more is Lima beans.
I always ate them, but just to appease mom.
When I went off to college on one return mom had fixed a huge pot of them. I told her then I really disliked them.
She said “ But you always ate them!”
I asked her “What would you have said back then if I said I didn’t like them?”
she thought for a moment then said “Probably shut up and eat them anyway!”
”Yeah, and that’s why I never said anything and just ate them!”
As for now, Mrs always fixes a dish I don’t know the name of, much less be able to pronounce.
фаршированная куриная ножка (Stuffed chicken legs). (She just read over my shoulder)
She skins chicken legs and thighs, debones them and then grinds the meat, adds spices and so on, stuffs into the skin and bakes.
We usually end up going to a friends home, His birthday is Jan, 1 so as with most Russian celebrations, food galore.

The boys like to stay up and watch the ball drop and eat junk food. I stay up with them, but their enjoyment is the only positive vibe I get out of the whole thing.

Growing up NYD dinner was always pork and sauerkraut, braised in the oven for hours. (Hot dogs were added as a sop to the younger kids who liked neither pork nor kraut.) Dad insisted, said it made you prosperous. I don't know why they never gave it up since it never worked... But it's how I learned to like kraut on a hot dog.

Around here the tradition is blackeyed peas with hog jowl. Kinda threw me for a loop the first time I saw hog jowl in the market, and here I'd always thought it was only something made up so that Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies could cook something disgusting. :) Anyway, we don't have a tradition for NYD dinner; Thanksgiving and Christmas were enough!

Wondering what personal traditions were out there.
Originally from NY but the past 30 years living in the Belgian countryside (just did 20 km of fun biking this afternoon -- hey, it's 14C (57°F) here tody!) and in Belgium the New Year's Day meal is Sauerkraut (Choucroute), pork, Polish sausages, frankfurters (hot dogs!) and ham/bacon -- we'll have that soon! (With a real nice Dijon mustard!) (And Belgian Beer!) I see you are from Murray, KY-- I represented the State of Kentucky for Economic Development from 1996-2001 here in Europe- and visited Murray and Murray State University in 1996 -- great town! My younger brother Bruce now teaches at WKU and lives on a small farm with his 2 horses and family outside Bowling Green! Small world sometimes… Steve Saturday 01 January 2022 @ 18:12

Palestinian style shawarma and all the typical sides and shrak bread, prepared by my neighbor. He likes to entertain, I like to eat good. :)

EDIT: He made so much, he packed it in fast food containers.
View attachment 497778
THAT LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! Hey, see you are from Franklin, WI -- I lived 1986-1991 in Appleton, WI and again in De Pere, WI from 2013-2017 -- certified in July 1991 at Bong; flew from 2013-2016 at Bong (including LDRS 33 in 2014), but don't think we ever met--- truly is a small world all right! Steve Saturday 01 January 2022

That cornbread - with sugar, or without? An issue of great contention between two of my grandmothers.

Black eyed peas with howl jowl, and collard greens. I'm covered for the 'good luck' Southern Style for 2022.

Best wishes and good health for each of you and family, for 2022.

Masala dosa and momos, with a dessert dosa made with apples and caramel. All delivered to our door and incredible. A good way to start the year gastronomically.

My younger brother Bruce now teaches at WKU and lives on a small farm with his 2 horses and family outside Bowling Green! Small world sometimes… Steve Saturday 01 January 2022 @ 18:12
Both Mom and Dad graduated from WKU back in the late 50s. It's where they met. Mom's parents lived in Bowling Green up until they passed away, over on Old Morgantown Rd.

John Carpenter, the movie director, grew up in Bowling Green. First time I watched his original version of The Fog was in Bowling Green with my sisters and a couple of cousins. As Adrienne Barbeau was describing the path the fog was taking, my cousin Mandy (she drove) said, "That's the route back to Grandma's house!"

I took about 3 bites of that nasty-ass GD pork that my wife cooks every year. If everyone dressed up in a Yellow rubber chicken suit one day a year, she would have one hanging up in her closet. pork is considered to be unfit to eat by billions of people on the planet.

Homemade Italian gravy, over rigatoni noodles, this gravy cooks on low for 8 or more hours

Attachments

• 0F7C6880-83C5-4CC9-968C-3BCD0007546E.jpeg
    0F7C6880-83C5-4CC9-968C-3BCD0007546E.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 4
I took about 3 bites of that nasty-ass GD pork that my wife cooks every year. If everyone dressed up in a Yellow rubber chicken suit one day a year, she would have one hanging up in her closet. pork is considered to be unfit to eat by billions of people on the planet.
Different strokes I reckon... I hope 2022 is a great one... :)

Not picking on any particular culture, but there are any number of cultural rules that seem to have no benefit today. Pork may have been inadvisable when trichnosis (sp?) was rampant, but there's no real reason to avoid it today, certainly not in the US or any other country with laws that cover meat preparation. Same with beef, chicken, shellfish, insects, whatever. I'm not interested in eating crickets, but that may change when beef reaches $15 a pound...

Best -- Terry

I do eat bacon with breakfast,and have been known to like the occasional BBQ sandwich, but I asked my wife exactly what it was and it was a pork chop, maybe it was the sauerkraut. :eek:

Back