Anything For A Buck

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use AdBlock Plus.

Useful for sooooo many other websites too. Faster loads, less crap.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ad Block Plus and Ghostery.

rcktnut

Reaction score
I'm aware of the ways to block ads and also ignore them anyway, but for visitors/kids not good to see ads bashing current members of congress former Presidents etc. regardless of political parties. There are some other ads also pertaining to sex. I thought this was a family oriented forum. Looks like the Russians took over.

Locksmith

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm aware of the ways to block ads and also ignore them anyway, but for visitors/kids not good to see ads bashing current members of congress former Presidents etc. regardless of political parties. There are some other ads also pertaining to sex. I thought this was a family oriented forum. Looks like the Russians took over.
Fyi I believe this site uses Google Ad sense so you will see advertisements for things you search the internet for.
For example if you looking for a new grill after a few different searches and page visits you will start to see more and more ads for grills. Or whatever else you search for...

Cnorm

Reaction score
Ads are based on your browser history. For instance, the ads I'm seeing today are for insurance, dog food, and groceries, plus the Madcow banner ad. I recall another poster starting a thread complaining about all the ads in Chinese. He'd obviously been hacked or had a virus from the People's Republic.

You're either located in a swing state or you have a cookie on your computer from a political site.

No comment on the sex ads.

ETA: Locksmith beat me to it.

rcktnut

Reaction score
I guess I'm in a swing state. I get the Madcow banner, an ad that says deadly sex habit is killing seniors with some weird pictures, at 64 I guess I'm a senior, ad for Chevy trucks haven't been looking for any new vehicles, an add for some financial company, not looking for loans. Must get any garbage out there if not searching for anything, which I very seldom do. I use Bing when searching not Google, don't know if they are connected or not. It is what it is I guess, just did not like those political ads.

georgegassaway

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I note that in the Watering Hole thread list, this thread's "Replies" and "Views" are blanked "-", plus the timestamp of the last post is "N/A".

So, it's not exactly locked, but this thread has apparently purposely been set to slip off the main page as any "old" thread with no new messages are, even though this has several messages newer than 3:50 PM (CDT) today.

timbucktoo

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
George,
It was moved to Forum Feedback & Announcements as Administrator frequent this forum more so than watering hole. You should get redirected to new location.

djs

Reaction score
get the Madcow banner, an ad that says deadly sex habit is killing seniors with some weird pictures
At first I thought this was all referring to the same ad.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
Visited while logged out to see what ads I got.

In addition to the Madcow ad, I got the "deadly sex habit killing seniors" and some inflammatory/defamatory political stuff aimed at (treading carefully) likely supporters of the current administration. I am NOT in a swing state and I do not admit to being a senior (and, frankly, if its not potentially lethal to an able-bodied young person I am not interested).

Refreshing the page I got ads for Madewell Denim (fashion-forward jeans for young women), a cell phone carrier, a different cell-phone carrier, my current ISP (offering me free installation of something I already have), more politics stuff, offers of coupons for margarine (never shop for food online, certainly not for margarine), ads for Ford trucks (don't drive a truck, nor have I been shopping for cars, or reading about cars online) -- whatever the algorithm is doing, it is doing it very badly.

Cnorm

Reaction score
I guess I'll stop snickering about the sex ads then.

*snicker

Okay, that was really the last one.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Please if you don’t like the ads, go to the x in the upper right corner of an ad and you can change preferences for what Google shows you. That works even if you are not logged in. Some of those sexy type ads, I’m trying to get pulled out of rotation. It takes some doing, but you can change preferences by that X. And I do see ads, so I can monitor them the best I can. I cannot see what you see all the time as I do not have your browsing history.

Don Allen

Reaction score
Fyi I believe this site uses Google Ad sense so you will see advertisements for things you search the internet for.
For example if you looking for a new grill after a few different searches and page visits you will start to see more and more ads for grills. Or whatever else you search for...
Google is truly evil. Use DuckDuckGo instead and you won't be tracked. Having an Ad blocker isn't a luxury anymore. It's absolutely necessary.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Sorry Angie, but clicking that little 'X' is akin to pushing the 'walk' button on a traffic light. Its a button, and we're supposed to think it does something. But the walk signal will come on at some point, regardless if we pushed it or not.

i have tried to click the X. The same ads soon come back.. And you can set all your likes & such all you want.. The same ads come back.. (and you'll always get a car ad.. they seem to be the pinnacle of ads..) So, while user preferences & 'like' do play a part, they aren't the only reason for seeing an ad..

I would like to believe the 'X' did something, but I don't. the all mighty $$$ gets the ad to market.. And look at some of the criteria the ads must adhere to, to be shown you "your machine": "You're seeing this ad because: you're a male between 18-55, live in the USA, and have bought at lease one thing online in the past 12 months.." A pretty broad net if yo ask me!! ADscense only plays the ads that Adscense has received $$ for, and that you meet certain criteria for said ad.. Unless someone can actually show me proof that Adscense targets ads to you based on only your likes & past preferences, i'll remain skeptical of ads..

I've largely given up on the interweb, except for a few choice locations. And ads are the reason why. With soo much ad space, and the general "garbage" that is posted as ads.. I'm constantly amazed that they cannot get any better at targeting ads to us.. Of course, they are supposed to be a vague as possible in order to reach as many people as possible..

[rant off]

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The "disable advertising" check box in preferences works (mostly) for me. Not receiving any ads at all EXCEPT for an audio only ad for a local plumbing company. Happens only when I visit this forum so I know it's specific.
Anybody know what else I can do? (Don't say turn the volume down, please).

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Can you get me more information on that? I may be able to get something done about it.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can you get me more information on that? I may be able to get something done about it.
Thanks, Angie. The audio only ad is for Steve's Plumbing.
It happens occasionally when I'm browsing TRF, and only on TRF.
Haven't heard it in the past couple of days, however.
Like when you bring a car in for a problem and the problem "disappears".:D
Must be tied in to my location, it's a local company.
Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Are you clearing your cookies and history often? That will give the ads less to focus on. And I"ll see if I can think of anything else since you say it's local to you.

OverTheTop

Reaction score
And if you accidentally type "girls" instead of "grills" you will get a completely different ad experience!

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
When the internet was very uncommon outside of business, around 1995 or so. I was on a T1 line and was introduced to the World Wide Web and was encouraged to check it out. This was when I worked for a hardware/software company. If you did a search back then, for the most upstanding things, you could accidentally find things that would not be allowed here. I had a few eye opening experiences.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, just cleared browsing history and cookies. Now getting an audio only ad for Domino's Pizza Hawaii.
And I have to re-log in to my email and TRF.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'd go get that Domino's Pizza in the Hawaiian branch store if I were you. I have not see or heard any Domino's ads here. I'll have to switch to iPad and see if it gets those ads.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Have you heard that ad any more?

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go get that Domino's Pizza in the Hawaiian branch store if I were you.
Sounds tempting.:D
Have you heard that ad any more?
Not that particular one but got one this morning for a different Steve's Plumbing ad. Something about relining busted up sewer lines.
Audio only, only on TRF.
Thanks, your efforts are appreciated.
If worse comes to worse I'll look into purchasing an ad blocker.