Anyone with a 5.5 FG Frenzy massive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Looking for some motor and altitude combinations specifically for this rocket. Couldn't find any on rocket reviews
Anyone flown a 98-4G M1290, M1450, M1790 or N1800?
I'm pretty set on using this rocket as a base for my L3 and my sim numbers don't look right and wanted to know some real world experiences. Also have to decide where to cert.
Thanks

Looking for some motor and altitude combinations specifically for this rocket. Couldn't find any on rocket reviews
Anyone flown a 98-4G M1290, M1450, M1790 or N1800?
I'm pretty set on using this rocket as a base for my L3 and my sim numbers don't look right and wanted to know some real world experiences. Also have to decide where to cert.
Thanks

Ooh, I'll be watching this. I've been thinking about this same kit for my L3 as well. It'll be a while, like a few years, but it'll be nice to get some data. There is a video on YouTube of this rocket on a L3 attempt. I'll see if I can find it for you Nick...

We was parked a couple cars down , my wife took a couple pictures of that rocket :)

This was launched at a Jackson club launch, correct? I'm in NW Ohio and I'm hoping to make it to a Jackson launch in the near future.

This was launched at a Jackson club launch, correct? I'm in NW Ohio and I'm hoping to make it to a Jackson launch in the near future.

I don't recall that being lvl3 cert I'm positive wasn't it was one of 1st flights of the day

launch was at Muskegon with smash and mmar much higher waiver 15K

Last edited:
I don't recall that being lvl3 cert I'm positive wasn't it was one of 1st flights of the day

launch was at Muskegon with smash and mmar much higher waiver 15K

Ok. Thanks for the info! I was thinking it was a L3, but if not, it's still good data because the weight is stated, as well as the motor, altitude and velocity.

I've got a friend with a frenzy massive. He used it to get his L3 a few months back. Can't remember his motor or altitude though. But with our clubs waiver it had to be under 10k.

Thanks Ryan! I searched on YouTube prior to posting but didn't find anything so thank's M1520 - 9800'

Well it won't be a frenzy but it will basically be a frenzy with air intakes, different fins and 4 of them. I'll start a build thread once I get everything here.

No problem Nick! As to "where to cert", I think Three Oaks is calling your name! If so, I'll be sure to be there to help with recovery.

Nice looking rocket the Massive Frenzy and this is a very nice example of one...thanks for the post.

A properly sized drogue would of taken care of the deployment issues.

+1....
For sure.....
Really nice rocket though...
Great flight...

Teddy

43lb M1560 to 6712'! Quite different from the M1520.
Well Ryan I have an ambitious plan of QCRS Midwest Power if I want to push the motor or 3oaks if I don't. First I haven't received everything yet so I'm looking at 3 month build. So we will just have to see what happens, thanks for your offer on recovery crew, you sure about that? My last one at 3 oaks was 100' up in a tree :). I still be at 3 oaks this fall just don't know if it will be for L3, long way to go.

As for the Frenzy - this will be a clone of sorts of a QCC Explorer but the airframe / cone will be 5.5 FG, frenzy massive without the fins. My plan is to fly a stock QCC Estes, then a 4' QCC, then attempt L3 with the big QCC or VTS-6. So the flight info on the frenzy will give me a ball park on motor size - which I think will be 98-4gr with a spacer will get me where I want to go.

Nice looking rocket the Massive Frenzy and this is a very nice example of one...thanks for the post.

A properly sized drogue would of taken care of the deployment issues.

Michael;
What did you see to notice a deployment issue? Fin can falling above payload?

He was drogueless - I do plan on a 36" drogue maybe 5' from AV bay attachment

Michael;
What did you see to notice a deployment issue? Fin can falling above payload?

He was drogueless - I do plan on a 36" drogue maybe 5' from AV bay attachment

I am not sure if 36" is the correct size, but your deployment plan sounds like a good plan. I usually do a couple of low alt, 3K - 5K, test fights to dial in my drogue, as the sims only ever seem to get me part way on my recovery plan.

To answer your other question, from my interpretation of the recovery there were several things that were less than ideal, but it ended well...love that rocket!

- nosecone looked to be pulling the booster down, like a separated ballistic descent
- nosecone/payload bay was below the booster in several shots but most importantly it was below the booster upon main deployment
- booster dropped though the recovery harness when the main popped literally getting hung on the main for a second then dropped down to where the payload bay and nosecone became entangled.

Back