Anyone using the micro-peak with the USB data downloader?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BEC is probably a good source, he has nearly every altimeter and is a model rocketry competitor, iirc he has several Micropeaks.

As Rich suggests, I use it every time (or nearly every time) I fly a MicroPeak. I probably have at least 100 MicroPeak data files stored away over the years by now. Is there a question?

As Rich suggests, I use it every time (or nearly every time) I fly a MicroPeak. I probably have at least 100 MicroPeak data files stored away over the years by now. Is there a question?

You may have noticed in the yard sale forum I've been posting a lot of free items from Doug Frost's estate. I found a micropeak that looks to be new, but I can't say for sure. I have not found the USB interface. I looked up to see how much the interface is and it turns out, its quite expensive compared to the altimeter itself, so it would be a lame thing to give away (i.e. "Here's this cool gadget for free. Now go spend money to make it work fully.").

So, as you were the first person to say you actually have the other piece required, I'd be glad to send it to you if you PM me your address.

Sandy.

Sandy,

The MicroPeak is usable without the data download kit....one can still get the apogee info from it from the LED. It blinks out the digits of the altitude in decimeters, and a zero is a long blink (rather than 10 like PerfectFlite does). But yes, especially after they lowered the price on the altimeter itself (it was $50 when it came out), the data download interface, as clever as it is, seems rather pricey.

And the interface is the only way to get pictures like this....MiniHustler-flt17_MP.PNG

Sandy,

The MicroPeak is usable without the data download kit....one can still get the apogee info from it from the LED. It blinks out the digits of the altitude in decimeters, and a zero is a long blink (rather than 10 like PerfectFlite does). But yes, especially after they lowered the price on the altimeter itself (it was $50 when it came out), the data download interface, as clever as it is, seems rather pricey.

And the interface is the only way to get pictures like this....View attachment 500463

In an effort to maximize the utility, I was hoping to pass this unit along to someone who could do exactly what you have posted - gather full flight data and learn from it to optimize simulation/understanding of the flight. My go-to is a Raven 1 (out of the hobby a while, not current best of class, but still amazing) for data logging and it was really a great stretch for me over just doing DD or reporting max altitude.

I just felt bad about giving someone a part of the equation and expect them to then buy more stuff to get that level of utility if they could chose a different system to meet their needs more efficiently.

Thanks for posting a great example of what the device is capable of. I had not researched it as I don't own one, but it looks familiar based on my other altimeters.

Sandy.

In case it can help the future recipient of the altimeter, I found holding the altimeter and USB interface together can be a little bit tricky sometimes (the download uses the LED to rapidly blink out the data to an optical receiver on the USB device). I drew up this 3D printed part to help align the two components. The USB receiver is held in a groove on the bottom, and the altimeter is aligned using posts on top. It makes the process pretty much foolproof.

Attachments

• MicroPeak USB Interface Holder.stl
    40.8 KB · Views: 8
Back