anyone seen Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cls

Reaction score
hey folks, has anyone seen Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow yet?

just wondering, how good/bad is it? suitable for kids of all ages?

I was surprised to not see any posts about it yet ... tell me all TRFers were flying rockets all weekend and had no time to go to the movies!

thanks
Cliff

Haven't seen it, but I've heard mixed reviews.

My brother really liked it; my mom was bored to pieces.

I liked it. It was different, which is not always bad. It is not going to win best picture, but I pften don't like (or even go see) the one that does. It is suitable for kids down to about age 7-8, except those who might be frightened by weird robots, and one scene were a guy gets fried to a skeleton.

Saw it Saturday... pretty much enjoyed it... my 16 year old son aboslutely loved it and will see it again.

The rocket at the end was nice with classic lines and design... I wondered about the lack of a boat tail until I saw how the straight tube was used... good one to model - could put smoke units in the fin pods.

The ones that intrigued me the most though were the missles that were launched out of the ocean. Really nice designs. I liked the tail ring and the fins are really unique. I may have to try to build one of these.

As for the story... it was all in good fun... really bad science, but appropriate for 1939. I would reccommend it for all ages.

Rick

I usually wait for the DVD,it would come in handy for modeling purposes as well.

Haven't seen it but it looks to me like "Independence Day: The Prequel."
Does look interesting, though.

My mom said that Gwyneth Paltrow's character was the most annoying movie character she's seen in a long time. Other than that, she said the movie was fine.

She said that all Paltrow did was whine, complain, and do a *ton* of "back-seat-driving."

ok, based on the "probably OK for kids" posts here, we went to see it last night.

my kids enjoyed it, what's not to like about an action movie! there were a couple good plot twists that us big kids didn't see coming. also fun were the subtle and covert references to other films sprinkled throughout, at least 20. but the best part was the visual effect and style, some really great machines in there.

as noted elsewhere the acting was a bit stiff in places but I think it was supposed to be, an homage to old serials and other low-budget films.

overall I think I am glad I saw it. (ever sit in a movie and go sheesh, why am I wasting my time?) visually it was somewhat inspirational, maybe my next rocket is going to be some kind of semi-streamlined brushed metal steam locomotive 1930's thing.

Cliff,

Don't watch it!!! It was so boring I turned it off half way through the movie and put on Rocket Challenge the show from the Discovery of LDRS 22.

My wife and I loved it. It may not be Oscar material but it is just good old fashioned fun. I especially liked the retro-future design elements -- a nice tribute to old movies, serials and comic books. The fact it's also a pretty "clean" movie is another plus.

hey Aaron - way too late! we saw it, we ate popcorn, we built Totenkopf's Ark, we flew it at XPRS & ROCSTOCK & Plasterblaster, we wrote the article for the LUNAR Sep/Oct 2004 newsletter

(thinking about a 4" one but too many other projects right now)

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
It's not out over here yet :(

Eh .....

I got the DVD just after I saw it at Starbugs (cos I missed most of it eating and chatting) .

I think it's a brilliant film if you have any liking for the pre-war Sci-fi films and a general "never really grown up" feeling

:D

nice job on the Ark Cliff !.. I've been tempted to model the other rocket using a canadian arrow .. I think I will now !

thanks Stymye.

hey that's a good screenshot. that other rocket looks to me like BT80-BB (fat boy nose cone) plus some BT80 plus BT-50 (oh what the heck, put some 29mm MMT in there), with BT80 rings. again if no BT80 tubing at hand, use Aerotech 2.6".

your right , I'm not sure why I thought of the canadian arrow..heh

Maybe I should try watching it again but I probably do the same thing and turn if off and put on October Skies. A great movie that is related to Rocketry. I wish I could get the plans to all rockets in movie and build them all.

A FUN MOVIE, BUT YOU DO HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO ENJOY IT!
I THOUGH IT WAS 5 STARS!

:)

Visually stunning with sub-par acting [does Paltrow have no more than those same two facial expressions?]; I nearly fell asleep.

Nice model, cls.

Well, she sure look great though! (my girlfriend is going to hit me for this!):D

Cliff,

Sorry if I sounded harsh saying don't watch it. I just thought it was boring.
Also nice job on the Ark.

(Aaron, thanks for the consideration. I certainly didn't take it that way.)

thanks for the "nice jobs" folks, but as you can see from the article it was mostly my son Aidan's work.

just for fun, here's the rocksim file for the Ark.

Styme, have you done any work on the missile? maybe I will make a rocksim for it too.

hmmm, 4" upscale 1x 38mm + 3x 29mm airstarts anyone?

My kid enjoyed it but I found it a waste of time. It was way too implausible, the screen tones were so dark all resolution was lost, the P-40 - though a great plane and used effectively in the China-Burma campaign - should have been hopelessly outclassed in the dogfight scenes... essentially, the movie was a nice fantasy idea but produced about 15-20 years too late. Save your money and go buy a rocket insead. -BB

Back