Anyone score a Friday sale Madcow DX3 XL?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
What was the sale price?

Do you plan to use it to get your Level 2 or Level 3 certification?

Will this be your first opportunity to try out a 75mm motor?

They were on sale for $199. And when I looked 30 minutes after the sale started they were all gone.

I had one in my cart and decided not to pull the trigger. There are too many other things I need and will wait for the sales coming up. At $199 it was a great deal and was hard as heck not to buy.

Sold out in 5 minutes. I got one two weeks ago from AMW that was $270 and I was stoked...who knew Madcow would go 47% off. I got mine for my level 3. I almost bought a second one because that price was so good.

I got one at a previous hump day sale. Due to small field mine has flown on motors ranging from 54-2 grain to 54-4 grain.

I completely forgot about it, never even seen the price, last year i missed out on the dominator, which i still want, now it looks like they don't make it anymore. If there's something you have your eye on better jump on it.

Last edited:
That is a fantastic price!
I picked up a 4" Tomach on a previous hump day sale and don't regret it. Its on the build pile and now #2 on the list. It will be the first toward achieving L3 and burning a few 75mm motors.
Maybe a build thread will be in order.

I completely forgot about it, never even seen the price, last year i missed out on the dominator, which i still want, now it looks like they don't make it anymore. If there's something you have your eye on better jump on it.

Not to rub it in, but I'm glad I got mine. It's cool, I might mod the fins up a little bit, but I think it will prove to be a good flyer for the Loki 76/8000 ns case. :)

That was a hell of a good price and really hard not to pull the trigger on it, but I already have two 4" birds in the build pile for this winter and don't need another one....quite yet. I do need to pick up a new 3" kit this fall, so I'll be keeping an eye on the upcoming sales this month.

Missed the Trinity sale - that kit looked awesome! Anyone who nabbed one - what was the price and will you go cluster or air start and and with which motors?

Missed the Trinity sale - that kit looked awesome! Anyone who nabbed one - what was the price and will you go cluster or air start and and with which motors?

I got one... considering J460T then three G138Ts. Should allow ignition of air starts ~1,000 feet so all can get a good look and reach ~2,500 feet.

David, we'll look forward to seeing your Trinity set up at an upcoming LUNAR or TCC launch. There is a lot to learn from your methodical approach to the more complex aspects with this kind of launch. Not surprising that you are thinking about quick-lighting Blue Thunder propellant.

I may have gotten one of the last ones. It was $249 plus about $25 for shipping. I downloaded the Rocksim file and am running simulations. I am thinking of a J800T to get it off the pad then lighting up three G75's or H97's black jacks for the smoke trail. I will use pyrodex pellets at the top of the 29mm motors so the ematch will light them. Plan on using the new Eggtimer Proton.

Anyone know what the trio of 2.6 in kits went for?

I picked up one and added a 10" extension(tube + coupler). Needed the extra room for the 54/2800 motor. :)

I'm thinking about a central K1050 and air starting 3 I200's. ~6700'

I love MadCow kits. However I’m not a fan of their Black Friday sales. MadCow creates bad feelings when they only have a few kits available at a ridiculously low price. There is something very wrong with a hyped up sale where all of the products are gone in less than five minutes.

MadCow created a lot of bad will last year with one of their Black Friday kit sales. The bad will was so bad that MadCow did the right thing. They produced more kits at the sales price.

Wildman does a much better job with their Black Friday sales program. No one whom wants a kit that is on sale is ever turned down. MAC Performance doesn’t turn anyone down either. Many other vendors offer a percentage off of their regular prices. In all of these cases everyone who wants a product receives the product.

We had a security guard trampled to death a few years ago in New York during a Black Friday sale at a local mall.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone,
Bob

I love MadCow kits. However I’m not a fan of their Black Friday sales. MadCow creates bad feelings when they only have a few kits available at a ridiculously low price. There is something very wrong with a hyped up sale where all of the products are gone in less than five minutes.

MadCow created a lot of bad will last year with one of their Black Friday kit sales. The bad will was so bad that MadCow did the right thing. They produced more kits at the sales price.

Wildman does a much better job with their Black Friday sales program. No one whom wants a kit that is on sale is ever turned down. MAC Performance doesn’t turn anyone down either. Many other vendors offer a percentage off of their regular prices. In all of these cases everyone who wants a product receives the product.

We had a security guard trampled to death a few years ago in New York during a Black Friday sale at a local mall.

Bob
While I am new to all of this but how is selling kits at an very low price in limited quantity wrong?
Why should a company sell there kits so cheap to anyone who wants them for a full day?
The number they had on had was mentioned and there was no more hype then a email and there webpage. Now if they only took of 10-15 buck from the original I could see that as an all day sale but a limited quantity sale at a very low price is well with in reason for a company to do. This has been practiced well before madcow did it. This is how all the “great” black friday deals are run in retail stores. If you wanted one and didnt get it. Yeah that sucks I understand that but its no reason to blame madcow. Just wait for the next one. They gave all the infor you needed on the sale to be ready and try and get one. Yes I got one so maybe that makes me boased but I still think it was resonable.

Live and let fly.
Typed on my phone

While I am new to all of this .......

3 years since BAR here, so here's a limited scope background. Full disclosure, I'm a Mad Cow fanboy. I own one of just about everything that they have from 2.6 cardboard through 4 inch fiberglass.

Part of the issue is that with Mad Cow(and others, to a lesser extent), for a 6 weeks or MORE before the sales start, there's very little in stock at all kit or part wise. So, if you're willing to pay full price to be able to get the kit that you want, you're SOL. Call, email, dispatch a carrier pigeon, send up smoke signals, make it rain like your up in the club.....won't really matter. I know, I've tried, most notably with the recent 2.6 kits in a 54mm mount. 5 months on a waiting list, only to get skunked on a Black Day sale....and no more in stock. I mean, DANG, I was willing to pay FULL PRICE back in June. Not really sure what gives there. I finally said F it and opted for a Blue Iguana.

Further, it's historically taken Mad Cow months, IF EVER, to restock and offer a kit for full price.........so a culture has developed where if you don't get it during a Black Someday sale, you simply aren't going to get one. Sorta like how people will get the Christmas toy that everyone wanted. Couple that with private sales at a little over 6 months later of those very same limited number(AND STILL OUT OF STOCK), kits on the yard sales section....and you get what we got.

Maybe Mad Cow still has supply issues related to the RW buy out...same tube supplier, after all, isn't it?

THAT'S the issue that many have with the Black Day sales. At least others, like WM, are telling you up front that it may be a while, but you'll get your stuff. No one really has issues with that BECAUSE people get their stuff!

Mad Cow's way around this is to limit the number of kits. You play the game, you take your chances, and with some you may not see the kit actually in stock again until next Black Day sale.

Last edited:

Bob

They have a ton of kits, they just go fast. 50% off is good incentive to be ready ad the clock turns 7.

Back