Anyone remember the old Astrocam 110? Also the parts that made the booster?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMG22

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'll actually get to be home for awhile over Christmas (and a number of times over the next several months, such is the life of traveling for work). My rocket fleet is split into two squadrons. First Squadron is back home in Nebraska, and Second Squadron is based in both my apartment and office at my companies corporate hq in Kentucky.

Side note, I work for an aviation missions group and an airport FBO. I'm the computer tech no one listens to, the internet research tech they listen to half the time, and the bloke responsible for taking all manner of photographs and video of our airplanes, pilots, mechanics, and students.

Anyway, I figured I'll have plenty of time to launch a few rockets from First Squadron while I'm home, so I got to thinking of what I want to launch. On the for sure list is the Estes Cajun. I first got into rockets when I was 10 back in 1992, and the Cajun was a rocket my Dad had bought me sometime that year. I never did finish it after he died the following February, and finally did finish it in BAR phase 2 about 10 years ago. I never did get around to flying it, so I might fly it once then retire it. I did clone it as I was finishing it (albeit with a parachute instead of the originals streamer), so that will get the followup flights. Other flyers will be my original Big Bertha (as it is just that cool), and my clone of the Estes America (kit was no. 2042, starter kit was no. 1447, original was my first rocket, also a gift from my Dad, and it isn't in that great of shape after a number of launches by pre-teen me). I'm sure I'll dig out a few other rockets like my Alphas (which have twins in Second Squadron) and maybe my first ever rocket I designed myself.

But I'll bring it home to the topic. I have one or two Astrocam 110's in First Squadron, and remembered how fun they were to fly, if not get any decent pictures with them (which I don't remember doing). Being a photographer, I've spent time a bit of time shopping around for camera gear and supplies, and one of my sources for film stocks new 110 film ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Format_110&ci=2545&N=4294548524+4089464918 ). So that got me to thinking, that I just might have to launch my Astrocam! I doubt I'll get any decent photos, but I might get 1 or 2, and I'll have some fun for sure.

And on that note, I remember reading some old material on the Astrocam that the launch vehicle for it is called the Delta II. I've thought off and on over the years of building just the Delta II rocket itself. I've got a set of BT-56 tubes somewhere, and the NC-56 nosecones aren't that hard to get ahold of. The only thing I'm lacking is that plastic fin can. If anyone out there has a spare from a crashed Astrocam 110 or something, feel free to pass it on!

Where will you get the film processed?

I hate to be a wet blanket, but with all the key chain video recorders available, why risk an antique as your Astrocam 110?

But I'll bring it home to the topic. I have one or two Astrocam 110's in First Squadron, and remembered how fun they were to fly, if not get any decent pictures with them (which I don't remember doing). Being a photographer, I've spent time a bit of time shopping around for camera gear and supplies, and one of my sources for film stocks new 110 film ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Format_110&ci=2545&N=4294548524+4089464918 ). So that got me to thinking, that I just might have to launch my Astrocam! I doubt I'll get any decent photos, but I might get 1 or 2, and I'll have some fun for sure.

And on that note, I remember reading some old material on the Astrocam that the launch vehicle for it is called the Delta II. I've thought off and on over the years of building just the Delta II rocket itself. I've got a set of BT-56 tubes somewhere, and the NC-56 nosecones aren't that hard to get ahold of. The only thing I'm lacking is that plastic fin can. If anyone out there has a spare from a crashed Astrocam 110 or something, feel free to pass it on!

If you want to pay $5 shipping, you can have this for free... You just need the body tube for a complete Delta II (I'm sure the camera is incomplete).:grin:

DSCN6391.jpg

I've often thought of flying my old Astrocam over the fields of Nebraska too. Thanks for the link for the film. Never thought I'd see that stuff again. Do you think a local studio would process your film?

The plain-jane "Delta II" launch vehicle that came with the Astrocam was pretty lame IMHO... Estes has made a few kits that use that fin can (the Patriarch is one IIRC, and there are more that I can't recall ATM).
The bad part about them was that the fin roots were rather short, since the fins stuck out behind the rocket, and when it landed hard (as it usually did since the Astrocam used a VERY small parachute for that much weight, to prevent it drifting off and being lost) after awhile the fins would start to crack at the bottom and eventually break off. Plus, the B and C motor mount wasn't really enough steam for the somewhat heavy Astrocam, IMHO...

A MUCH better solution is the "Eliminator" from Estes... it's a BT-56 kit with a D/E 24 mm motor mount. If you WANTED to fly it on a C, well, they sell 24/18 motor adapters that are very lightweight and easy to use...
They have a plastic fin can as well, but the fins don't stick out past the bottom of the rocket and are MUCH more durable... Plus the Eliminator is a cool flying rocket even if you're not "Astrocamming"... :)

The Eliminator has a pretty long history... the kit used to be offered as the "Maniac" years ago (which all of mine were-- they had tacky decals and weren't particularly attractive, but ditching the decals and painting the thing a different color quickly fixed that... Before that, back when the Astrocam was available, and before the Maniac came out, the recommended "D" launcher for the Astrocam was the "Challenger II"... which is the exact same rocket as the Maniac/Eliminator, same fin can, nosecone, the works, but it was in a MUCH nicer black fins/ white body tube/ black nosecone with gold trim decals... Plus back in the day the Challenger II and later garish-colored Maniac were like $6-8 kits...

The rocket goes back even further than that, as IIRC Centuri sold the exact same design years before that...

Get yourself a Maniac or Eliminator and some D12-7's and you've got yourself a REALLY NICE Astrocam booster... just be sure to replace the rubber shock cord with elastic and use a slightly smaller parachute (or cut a big spill hole in the existing chute) or better yet use a nylon chute...

I got some really nice pix out of my Astrocam back in the day using the Maniac... well, as nice as the small grainy 110 negative is capable of producing... There are a LOT better options now using off-the-shelf micro-digital cams off Ebay dirt cheap if you want good photographic results... but if you just enjoy futzing around with the film and Astrocam, then the Maniac is the way to go...

Later and Good luck! OL JR :)

Just sitting down with this, I saw a couple people ask about getting the 110 film developed. I get a lot of my C41 process 35mm film developed at Walgreens, but for some of my specialized C41, as well as all my E6 film, I send to Dwaynes. A quick look at their website reveals they still develop 110 film. Check it out here: https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/color-neg-processprint.html

I love taking pictures (it is my day job, lol), and the rocket nerd in me loves the idea of putting a camera on a rocket. I may have to get that Maniac/Eliminator just to have both the Delta II and the M/E to put the Astrocam into the air. I always liked that Delta II myself, but that's just me. I enjoy it.

For those of you who have an Astrocam, when did you get yours? I got mine new in I think 2003, which seems so long ago but really isn't.

Just sitting down with this, I saw a couple people ask about getting the 110 film developed. I get a lot of my C41 process 35mm film developed at Walgreens, but for some of my specialized C41, as well as all my E6 film, I send to Dwaynes. A quick look at their website reveals they still develop 110 film. Check it out here: https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/color-neg-processprint.html

I love taking pictures (it is my day job, lol), and the rocket nerd in me loves the idea of putting a camera on a rocket. I may have to get that Maniac/Eliminator just to have both the Delta II and the M/E to put the Astrocam into the air. I always liked that Delta II myself, but that's just me. I enjoy it.

For those of you who have an Astrocam, when did you get yours? I got mine new in I think 2003, which seems so long ago but really isn't.

Cool...

I got mine back in like 86... back when you had to ASSEMBLE THE CAMERA YOURSELF! "Glue the lens in with ONE DROP of liquid plastic cement" (bottle type, NOT the tube type junk!)

Followed that one carefully... if you futzed it up, you ruined the camera!
It had a stronger spring for a 1/1000 shutter speed as well... later the pre-assembled kits must've weakened the spring or something, because they were rated at 1/500 second, which meant they probably blurred twice as many pictures at least! (they also switched to 200 ISO film, rather than the 400 of the old cam... but that should be an improvement as far as film quality goes... IIRC).

Later! OL JR :)

This thread made me smile. I built an Astrocam back in the 80s too, when you had to glue the camera together. I never knew they later came preassembled. I had great luck getting pics with it too as I recall. Of course getting one single pic per flight on cruddy 110 film can't compare to the HD video you can take with a $30 keychain cam these days. But I'm pretty sure I've still got that rocket in a box somewhere in my parent's garage, and I would totally dust it off and fly it again just for the nostalgia. :)

This thread made me smile. I built an Astrocam back in the 80s too, when you had to glue the camera together. I never knew they later came preassembled. I had great luck getting pics with it too as I recall. Of course getting one single pic per flight on cruddy 110 film can't compare to the HD video you can take with a $30 keychain cam these days. But I'm pretty sure I've still got that rocket in a box somewhere in my parent's garage, and I would totally dust it off and fly it again just for the nostalgia. :)

I've still got mine too... I've thought of gutting it for a nosecone for a keychain cam, but it seems kind of a shame to do so... it's more value as a historical/momento kind of thing, and a plastic nosecone, tube, and coupler would be lighter and easier to work with for a camera housing anyway...

I wouldn't really bother with flying it anymore... even if I could get 110 film... developing is the big PITA and the results weren't THAT good... don't know if any of my old pics even survived... if they did, they're somewheres upstairs at my brother's (formerly grandmother's) house in the attic with a lot of my mechanic's school and police academy books and stuff...

later! OL JR :)

later! OL JR :)

I got mine around 2003 also. I still have undeveloped film from back then.

OK so, the original poster did not reply. Another forum member took me up on my offer so... The offer is off of the table.

OK so, the original poster did not reply. Another forum member took me up on my offer so... The offer is off of the table.

Glad it's getting a good home. I've been working (both actual work and and working on not getting the flu) and while I've been on and posted a little, I spaced responding to your offer. Again, glad the rocket has a good home!

Side note, work has me overnighting in Nashville tonight. I've already hit up a Hobby Lobby and Hobbytown USA (both of which are actually in nearby Murfreesboro). So far the take is an Alpha, a Hi-Flier, an 18 inch parachute, and a wood dowell. If I have a chance, I might hit up a local shop (Hudsons I believe it's called) tomorrow morning before I drive back to Kentucky. Maybe they have an Astrocam.....

Glad it's getting a good home. I've been working (both actual work and and working on not getting the flu) and while I've been on and posted a little, I spaced responding to your offer. Again, glad the rocket has a good home!

Side note, work has me overnighting in Nashville tonight. I've already hit up a Hobby Lobby and Hobbytown USA (both of which are actually in nearby Murfreesboro). So far the take is an Alpha, a Hi-Flier, an 18 inch parachute, and a wood dowell. If I have a chance, I might hit up a local shop (Hudsons I believe it's called) tomorrow morning before I drive back to Kentucky. Maybe they have an Astrocam.....

Man, if you want to see some COOL stuff, go to Hobby Lobby... NO, NOT the regular old "flowers and household junk with a few kits in the back" HL we're all used to... HOBBY LOBBY INTERNATIONAL... https://www.hobby-lobby.com/ They're right off of I-40 on the south side of Nashville... VERY cool stuff!!!

Good luck and take it easy... and get ya some Vitamin C...

Man, if you want to see some COOL stuff, go to Hobby Lobby... NO, NOT the regular old "flowers and household junk with a few kits in the back" HL we're all used to... HOBBY LOBBY INTERNATIONAL... https://www.hobby-lobby.com/ They're right off of I-40 on the south side of Nashville... VERY cool stuff!!!

Good luck and take it easy... and get ya some Vitamin C...

I-65 actually....exit 74B, behind the Hampton Inn. I've been there many times, and thought about it today....AFTER I left town....lol

Hudson's was great, and had a nice slection of Estes and non-Estes kits, as well as all the motors you could want. I asked him about the Astrocam, and he mentioned he had sold his last one earlier this year. Check them out on the web at https://hudsonclassichobbies.com/

Vitamin C has been acquired. That plus the week I haven't had to be up earlier then I'd like has helped.

I-65 actually....exit 74B, behind the Hampton Inn. I've been there many times, and thought about it today....AFTER I left town....lol

Hudson's was great, and had a nice slection of Estes and non-Estes kits, as well as all the motors you could want. I asked him about the Astrocam, and he mentioned he had sold his last one earlier this year. Check them out on the web at https://hudsonclassichobbies.com/

Vitamin C has been acquired. That plus the week I haven't had to be up earlier then I'd like has helped.

Yep... been awhile since I've been there... We have friends in Murfreesboro and also up north of Nashville at Goodlettsville (actually between there and Joelton on I-24). Friends of my wife's from college and from the ten years she lived there in Nashville... we usually bunk in with one or the other of them on our way back from Indiana for a visit a couple times a year...

Yeah, I need to put a trip to Hobby Lobby Intl on my schedule... I was into park flyers for awhile there years ago, and I went in there 'window shopping'.

Yep... been awhile since I've been there... We have friends in Murfreesboro and also up north of Nashville at Goodlettsville (actually between there and Joelton on I-24). Friends of my wife's from college and from the ten years she lived there in Nashville... we usually bunk in with one or the other of them on our way back from Indiana for a visit a couple times a year...

Yeah, I need to put a trip to Hobby Lobby Intl on my schedule... I was into park flyers for awhile there years ago, and I went in there 'window shopping'.

It's probably good that I didn't make it there (although circumstances MIGHT have me there Saturday I hope!). All of the stuff that normally rides in my car is in some random pile in the car and I have no idea where it all went. I'm fairly certain the balsa, Alpha, and Hi-Flier I got in Murfressboro Hobby Lobby/Hobbytown USA plus the engine mount and Starlight brand kit (I for the life of me can't remember the name) I got at Hudsons are on the front floorboard. The main reason for my trip was to pick up THREE furnaces for my boss for some rental properties he has. Yes, you can in fact fit 3 15kw furnaces in a Ford Crown Victoria. I'll get a photo before we unload.

Back on topic though, I'm for sure getting out my Astrocam when I get home for Christmas. If ebay fails me, it might get moved from Nebraska to Kentucky. I found a stash of BT-56 tubes several years ago, and just might have to build a rocket kin to the Eliminator for D/E launches of the camera. Ooooooo! I'm thinking about this as I type. Do transitions exist from either BT-60 or -80 to 56? One of my current scratch build (mostly existing in my head, although I have most of the parts but none of the time to work on) projects is a BT-80 size rocket, with easily changeable payload modules (ie, booster recovers seperately). I'm sure I could design one for the Astrocam. All it would take me is a little time and some ribeye steaks for fuel.

Although, part of me thinks that D/E launches can only happen back home, where I have a bigger launch area (ie, the cornfield in my backyard that may or may not be occupied by cows or crops depending on the time of year) which would help me oh I don't know.....find the darn thing when it comes back.....lol

A little off the mark, but does anyone know where to get the old "126" film developed and printed?

It's probably good that I didn't make it there (although circumstances MIGHT have me there Saturday I hope!). All of the stuff that normally rides in my car is in some random pile in the car and I have no idea where it all went. I'm fairly certain the balsa, Alpha, and Hi-Flier I got in Murfressboro Hobby Lobby/Hobbytown USA plus the engine mount and Starlight brand kit (I for the life of me can't remember the name) I got at Hudsons are on the front floorboard. The main reason for my trip was to pick up THREE furnaces for my boss for some rental properties he has. Yes, you can in fact fit 3 15kw furnaces in a Ford Crown Victoria. I'll get a photo before we unload.

Back on topic though, I'm for sure getting out my Astrocam when I get home for Christmas. If ebay fails me, it might get moved from Nebraska to Kentucky. I found a stash of BT-56 tubes several years ago, and just might have to build a rocket kin to the Eliminator for D/E launches of the camera. Ooooooo! I'm thinking about this as I type. Do transitions exist from either BT-60 or -80 to 56? One of my current scratch build (mostly existing in my head, although I have most of the parts but none of the time to work on) projects is a BT-80 size rocket, with easily changeable payload modules (ie, booster recovers seperately). I'm sure I could design one for the Astrocam. All it would take me is a little time and some ribeye steaks for fuel.

Although, part of me thinks that D/E launches can only happen back home, where I have a bigger launch area (ie, the cornfield in my backyard that may or may not be occupied by cows or crops depending on the time of year) which would help me oh I don't know.....find the darn thing when it comes back.....lol

I don't think you'll find an "Estes" or other big mfg. transition from BT-80 to 56... that being sort of an "oddball size" but one I'm particularly fond of, after the BT-80 of course... Your best bet for a transition in that size would be probably Semroc, Balsa Machining Service, Sandman, or something like that... I'm sure it'd be rarer than hen's teeth, and probably be a custom job...

You could always get a BT-80 to 60 transition and turn it down yourself in a power drill clamped to the table... I did the one on my 1/100 scale Ares I that way (do a quick search for the build thread and you can see it yourself... after I turned it down to BT-56 (which was very close to the 1/100 scale 146 inch SRB, and the BT-70 is very close to the 5.5 meter upper stage) I hollowed it out to allow ejection gases to pass through it... it's all in the build thread... (but it might be over in the archives...)

Anyway, that's your best bet... or you could just get some pink or blue closed-cell house insulation and some dowel rods and turn your own to whatever size/shape you wanted... I've done more than a few of those too... (see my 1/150 Saturn V/Saturn I-F build thread for pictures of that one... it's a BT-80 to BT-60 scale transition between the S-II second stage and S-IVB third stage on Saturn V...)

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

They just raffled off an Astrocam at my club's Christmas party Thursday night. I didn't stay to see who claimed it.

image.jpg

My Astrocam...still flying after all these years...

I agree that Dwayne's Photo is an excellent resource for 110 film development. The film itself is becoming quite scarce, it's just a matter of time before this camera is obsolete.

View attachment 106839

My Astrocam...still flying after all these years...

I agree that Dwayne's Photo is an excellent resource for 110 film development. The film itself is becoming quite scarce, it's just a matter of time before this camera is obsolete.

Dwayne's is a great lab and they do great work. I send all my E6 film to them (and the uber hard to find C41 ISO 1600 color film). As for a source for the 110 film, somewhere earlier in the thread I posted a link to B&H Photo.

I expended a single 24 exposure roll with the Astrocam. These 3 are about as good as I was able to take. I never achieved the objective of getting myself in the picture.

image.jpg

You're right about B&H Photo, I stopped in today and they have Lomography 110 film, 24 exp., color and b&w, for $7.90.

image.jpg

You're right about B&H Photo, I stopped in today and they have Lomography 110 film, 24 exp., color and b&w, for $7.90.

Be very careful though, that B&W film is 100 speed and the color is 200 speed. And while I do believe there was a short period of time when the Astrocams being made where set to work with 200 speed film almost all versions need 400 speed. You will NOT get good results if you use slower film, everything will be dark and underexposed. Your best bet is ebay for old stock 400 speed.

Back