Anyone recognize this rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
Don't know if this was a kit or scratch build, it is 81" tall and 3.2" diameter with 38mm motor mount.

purple rocket.jpg

3 f & NC....lots of possibilities.

Looks too skinny to be an Aerobee D (Aerotech kit) ....maybe a scratch built version 2X ?

Last edited:
Must be a scratch build, otherwise someone would have recognized it by now.

What do you make of the attached picture? The coupler is glued to the payload section. As the picture shows, on the bottom of the payload section/coupler there's a plywood bulkhead with a 1/2" hole in the middle. How am I to attach the shock cord to that? Only thing I can think of is to enlarge the hole until its big enough so I can pass my pinky through it to hold the nut for an eyebolt. Or maybe stick the nut with gum to the end of a 4' dowel and run the dowel through the payload tube. Any better ideas?

20170504_201410.jpg

Must be a scratch build, otherwise someone would have recognized it by now.

What do you make of the attached picture? The coupler is glued to the payload section. As the picture shows, on the bottom of the payload section/coupler there's a plywood bulkhead with a 1/2" hole in the middle. How am I to attach the shock cord to that? Only thing I can think of is to enlarge the hole until its big enough so I can pass my pinky through it to hold the nut for an eyebolt. Or maybe stick the nut with gum to the end of a 4' dowel and run the dowel through the payload tube. Any better ideas?

Tie a knot on it too large to pass though the hole. Feed enough through to make a loop on this end to attach to?

Tube is not phenolic right? I thought it looked kind of like a PML kit I have (never knew the name - I can't find it on the current website).

If you can reach the back side of that bulkhead with a long dowel or something then I would try to attach an eye bolt with a nut and with fender washers on both sides of the bulkhead.

@jadebox - I think you are right! Thank you! My rocket does not have those yellow canards but otherwise it seems identical.

Why did the builder make that big hole in the bulkhead and glue it in without attaching the eyebolt, what was he thinking? Installation of an eyebolt may be doable but it won't be easy.

Perhaps a better alternative to an eyebolt would be to drill a second hole in the bulkhead, fish a piece of kevlar rope through the holes, then tie the ends of the kevlar into a loop?

If the bulkhead is on the payload section like the Vulcanite, it's doable. Easiest way would be some long extensions and a socket for the nut - the hardest part will be keeping the washer (fender as suggested by Nathan) lined up. If you don't have a long enough extension(s), a long dowel with something sticky applied (or hot glue the nut on, it'll pop off when the nut torques down) can be used.

If there's no access, cut a hole in the side of the coupler to provide access for the washer and nut. You can also use said hole to hold the nut in place while threading. Keep the hole as small as possible and save the cut out piece to fill in the gap (and cover with some tape).

My favorite tool for something like this is a glass of scotch. Helps with the patience side of things.

Last edited:
@jadebox - I think you are right! Thank you!

Why did the builder make that big hole in the bulkhead and glue it in without attaching the eyebolt, what was he thinking? Installation of an eyebolt may be doable but it won't be easy.

Perhaps a better alternative to an eyebolt would be to drill a second hole in the bulkhead, fish a piece of kevlar rope through the holes, then tie the ends of the kevlar into a loop?

Of the 81 inches...how much of it is in the length of the payload section with the coupler bulkhead/with that hole?
Several of those ideas posted could work - but it could be every bit as challenging as you pointed out.

You ever do dual deployment?
If I had this - I would consider using that bulkhead portion as a future electronics/Av.Bay.
You could cut that coupler/bulkhead off - rendering it more workable, and make it the beginning of an Av bay.

It's 27" from the top of the payload tube to the bulkhead. I think I can get a nut on an eyebolt by sticking the nut to the end of a long dowel. The washer will be trickier. The coupler would have made a fine Av bay had he not glued the top half to the payload tube.

@AlfaBrewer - The scotch sounds good. Instead of drilling a hole in the side of the coupler, I think I could just enlarge the 1/2" hole in the bulkhead a bit and get my finger through to hold the nut. But at the moment I'm leaning towards the kevlar rope instead of an eyebolt.

Mission accomplished, the eye bolt is in. It's not that hard if you have a second person to help. I attached a nut driver to the end of a broom, put the nut in the socket, taped a lock washer and fender washer washer to the end of the socket, inserted into payload section while my wife looked through the bulkhead with a flashlight. She directed me which way to move the broom and then inserted the eyebolt once the nut driver socket was on the hole. Got it on the second attempt (washer fell off on first attempt).

Thanks for all the advice, now time to fly this thing.

It's 27" from the top of the payload tube to the bulkhead. I think I can get a nut on an eyebolt by sticking the nut to the end of a long dowel. The washer will be trickier. The coupler would have made a fine Av bay had he not glued the top half to the payload tube.

@AlfaBrewer - The scotch sounds good. Instead of drilling a hole in the side of the coupler, I think I could just enlarge the 1/2" hole in the bulkhead a bit and get my finger through to hold the nut. But at the moment I'm leaning towards the kevlar rope instead of an eyebolt.

I was thinking if you could make the cut on the empty payload section - ahead of the coupler, leaving some extra length on the empty part of the payload section.
You could then simply add more coupler in that empty payload section (ahead of the glued in couler) and make an "extended" Av Bay (it would be longer than usual Av Bay).
But it sounds like you solved your problem...groovy.

Back