Anyone recognize this Bullpuppy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerJones

Reaction score
I was rummaging through the DARS stash about a month ago picking up some CRs and saw this dusty PML Bullpuppy sitting in the corner, hard to pass it up for $10. I plan on rebuilding this back to it's original military livery but was curious if anyone recognized this rocket? Most likely belonged to a North Texas flyer at one time.

20170325_141558.jpg

Last edited:
Step one is to remove the 6" long brass launch lug adorning the airframe. I used a dremel cutoff wheel to carefully cut through the epoxy fillet in line with the body tube to avoid any damage. I'll attach new rail buttons before final painting.

20170326_112139.jpg 20170326_112144.jpg

Next was to sand down the entire airframe/fins with 120 grit with the palm sander removing most of the original paint followed up with 220 grit. I did a little hand sanding in between the fins and along the fillets. The phenolic airframe is in pretty good shape with no major problems, one small gap between the airframe and boat tail was filled with bondo glazing putty. The fillets are still strong and smooth so I am just going to lightly sand with some 320 and then shoot the first coat of primer to see how it looks.

20170326_165559.jpg20170326_165611.jpg 20170327_142952.jpg

As usual I hit this with a quick coat of primer and every blemish on the rocket came shining through. After all of the rockets I have finished I know to expect this but it still always seems to surprise me. Sanded down that coat and applied another, the seam between the BT and boat tail is a little rougher than I had thought and will take some work. All in all it's going rather quickly. I ordered and received the decals from Mark@stickershock last week so all I have left is to spray this white, add the rail buttons, add a tracker bay to the NC and call it done. More pics when I finish up.

20170327_171055.jpg20170328_131717.jpg20170328_172755.jpg20170328_172900.jpg

Last edited:
This is the 3" Bullpuppy with a 38mm MM. Not much room for motor retention with the boat tail but I will figure something out for that.

Friction fit with masking tape, and a wrap of aluminum tape over the boat tail and motor. Problem solved.

Friction fit with masking tape, and a wrap of aluminum tape over the boat tail and motor. Problem solved.

I have found through my "experimenting" (setting things on fire in the backyard) that the adhesive can separate from the aluminium foil when it gets hot enough.
Does this happen? Or does the end of the motor not get hot enough/different tape with different properties.

If the back end of your casing is getting that hot, you've got other problems.

Okay, thanks.

Having not leapt off the high power diving board yet, I wouldn't know.

Back to the original discussion.

Rocket $10
Paint & Primer $10
Decals $28

$48 and it looks like a Bullpup again!

20170330_110502.jpg20170330_125652.jpg

Nice to have another rocket that I can fly on small 38mm H's and I's (easier on the wallet) at the local launches.

It looks like a PML kit. Did it have a piston ejection system?

It is a PML kit, 3" Bullpuppy with the phenolic BT. The piston is long gone but the red 1" nylon dog leash remains. I cut it down to just above the edge of the BT and sewed a loop in it, good enough for now.

It is a PML kit, 3" Bullpuppy with the phenolic BT. The piston is long gone but the red 1" nylon dog leash remains. I cut it down to just above the edge of the BT and sewed a loop in it, good enough for now.

I have this same kit which is ready for paint. Just waiting for a nice day, but its their "Q" tube that I got. Great looking kit.

Back