Anyone out West starved for flight time? Head to ROCKONN July 18th! It's on!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMX

Reaction score
If you are starved for flight time due to COVID restrictions and you live out west head to ROCKONN!

Their July 18th launch is a go and they fly from Artesia Dry Lake which is a mini-Bonneville Salt Flats type set-up.

Yearly dues are only $15 so its worth it just to join day of the launch and then of course you can attend their monthly launches.

Temps are only in the mid nineties typically in July so its not scoring hot like Lucerne Valley gets.

Details are here: https://www.rockonn.org

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 7.38.24 AM.png

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Thanks for the heads up on this... and while they are called Rocketry Organization of Northern Nevada the spot they launch from could be considered more like central Nevada.

It's literally an early morning drive from all the major population areas out west.

Only 4 hourish from San Franscisco Bay area

Only 6 hourish from Las Vegas

Only 6 hourish from Los Angeles area

Only 3 hourish from Sacramento area

Only 1-2 hours from Reno/Tahoe and Carson City area

This is much, much, much, much closer than Black Rock!

Very cool!

I never heard of this spot before and for sure will head out and check it out.

Thanks JMX for the tip!

Last edited:
I just checked the website and it looks like it's NAR and Tripoli or rather NAR sanctioned but allowing Tripoli and Non-members to fly if they sign the release of liability.

They are requiring masks because of COVID.

Masks or you don't fly.

Which is fine. Wearing masks is what we all need to do. Even if we aren't afraid of changing COVID ourselves. It's for the protection of others. And only fair that we care about other people and wear masks as a courtesy.

Release form can be downloaded right here.

https://www.rockonn.org/Release_Form.pdf
Their calendar on-site has a floating window so they could go either the 18th or 19th depending on weather.

https://www.rockonn.org/Calendar.html
For me, living in the So Cal High Desert... this is literally a no-brainer!

Head to bed around 8pm the night before... get 6 hours sleep and get up at 2am... grab my coffee and a quick breakfast and be out the door at 3am... and arrive on the Lake Bed at 9am!

It's only 6 hours from me... easy drive.

I'm going!

It's actually BETTER than Bonneville.

Because when you launch a Skidmark or other Big Motor the sound echoes off the sorrounding moutains. Something you don't get at the Salt Flats.

So it’s a NAR launch.
Too bad.

Well, if that bothers you simply leave your research/experimental stuff at home and simply fly commercial motors.

It's not a binary choice.

Would you really not fly simply because they only allow commercial motors?

They fly BIG motors at ROCKONN. Real BIG (and small LPR stuff too)

So what if they are commercial off the shelf motors?

I'd rather fly a commercial "M" or "N" motor that I know has a 99 percent chance of going as planned rather than a 50/50 roll of the dice on a home built motor that could CATO and destroy my rocket I spent 100s of hours on building.

I simply don't get you experimental guys?!?

Flying high power rockets is NOT a binary choice.

If you love to fly, fly what you can, when you can, even if you'd rather be flying EX.

Right?

Wow, if you have 50/50 success with experimental motors you really should not be using them.
People can go launch all the commercial motors they want, I launch them too. However I also launch experimental motors, against the rules there.

It looks like a fine site with a decent Waiver.

Well, you must be using APCP for your motors if you don't suffer from the 50/50 I have struggled with... but then again when I do the EX thing I only doing KNSB because it's all I know and its cheap.

Sadly, there is a high failure rate for large grains in that realm.

Sorry for giving you grief over your preference for EX. Been in quarantine too long, and seriously cranky on this end and need to get outside. Apologize.

From their YouTube channel it looks like they have a nice collection of big and small.

Here is a video of a successful "M" powered launch!

If you are starved for flight time due to COVID restrictions and you live out west head to ROCKONN!

Their July 18th launch is a go and they fly from Artesia Dry Lake which is a mini-Bonneville Salt Flats type set-up.

Yearly dues are only $15 so its worth it just to join day of the launch and then of course you can attend their monthly launches.

Temps are only in the mid nineties typically in July so its not scoring hot like Lucerne Valley gets.

Details are here: https://www.rockonn.org

View attachment 423767

Ugh 😫 a solid 24hr drive from here and I would do it - going to keep their calendar 📆 in mind.

Weather is looking awesome for this coming weekend!!! COME ON OUT AND FLY!!!

It won't break 95 and it will be sunny all day. Best part about Artesia Dry Lake is it stays cool in the morning and the highs for the day come in the late afternoon after everybody has flown quite a bit and is just kicking back under their EZups having some ice tea and chewing the fat!

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 7.27.39 AM.png

Hi guys!

It's beginning to look like the launch will be on Sunday the 19th; NWS is forecasting potential thunder storms for Friday night. Should be cooler on Sunday anyway. COVID-19 restrictions/rules will apply - no mask = no launch. Check the website for latest updates.

Thanks JMX for the PR.
Wayne (President)

SUNDAY! That's great! Thanks for the update, Wayne!

Gives everybody another day to get their new builds together :)

Hmmmm

Just got back from BSRA launch in Twin Bridges this weekend. That was a 6+ hour drive. ROCKONN is 8+ hours. Sigh. Not going to make this one. However, y'all are close enough to some other interesting areas that I may have to make a long weekend of it sometime soon. Especially if we continue to have conditions here in Utah (high fire danger) that prevent launches.

Camping/trailers are permitted?

It's BLM land so camping is allowed anytime. But typical leave it as you found it. Carry all trash out rules apply.

It's BLM land so camping is allowed anytime. But typical leave it as you found it. Carry all trash out rules apply.
Thanks. I'm thinking we'd need to continue on to Yosemite for a few days after a launch, so looks like I need to do some planning. Probably have to wait until next spring.

Really ambitious ~10 day vacation plan involving rocket launch, Yosemite, Sequoa, and Death Valley:1594661919246.png

OK, the REALLY ambitious plan also involves Joshua Tree NP, Mojave NPres, and maybe Grand Canyon NPres, but it feels like that's just out of hand. ;)

Looks like a great launch site.

Assuming this is (as it looks to be) truly a salt flat (like Bonneville) and not a normal dry lake, something for those of you who've never spent time at such a place: Know that the sunlight reflects UP off the salt. That means that you might need to wear sunscreen in places that don't quite seem normal to y'all. Especially if you are wearing shorts or a skirt (or a kilt!). Also make sure you have good wrap-type sunglasses. And be prepared to wash your clothes, shoes, car, etc. really well once you get back home and/or off the salt.

Salt flats are amazingly cool places, and awesome for rocket launches. Wish I was firing off a few myself, but alas it's not to be.

Kudos to the organizers for the masks rule.

Hope y'all have a great launch day,
s6

Actually, it's mostly state land - NDOW wildlife management area. It used to have more water for waterfowl and such, but now the only living things out there are a few bugs at night and an occasional alien arriving from the mother ship.
Saturday should be a great night to see the comet and Jupiter. Even got some people bringing a telescope.

Back