Anyone out there had a knee replaced?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Well...I FINALLY had it done...my right knee was replaced on Wednesday. Home now...doing my PT diligently. Was told I would be off work 6 weeks. My friend told me it's good time to build.....but the pain is so bad and I must do the stretch training and walking. Oh man....so overwhelmed. Anyone been through this?
Hope to be ready for the Fall launch season.
Andrew

Not done it myself, but know a few people who have...all of which had great success in the long run.

The KEY to that success is: do your PT, do your PT, do your PT, do your PT!!!!! Hopefully you have a good therapist, and if you do, trust them, and do your PT!!! Do not get lazy, put it off, or quit too soon. In your own words, "do it diligently".

Good luck with your recovery. I'm sure it will suck at times, but chances are you will be way ahead of the game in the long run, and you will find yourself wondering why it took you so long to get the work done in the first place.

s6

Thanks man.....I am very blessed to have a good surgeon, physical therapist and a good facility. I know what you mean about the physical therapy....just finished set 4 of 10....now on ice before set 5. Wowzers....the pain is exhausting. Thanks for the encouragement.
Andrew

6 weeks to return to work is pretty fast - depends on the type of job you do. If it involves physical work expect at least 3 months. Also as above - do your PT!!!! If you don't you can't expect a good result.
I had both my knees replaced left in 2007 and right in 2008. I'm sure what they use now is probably better but mine are still doing great. Its not 100% like real knees but the alternative(think constant pain) makes it a great decision.

My neighbor had both knees done. On the first one he did (mostly) the PT and exercises, on the second one he slacked off a lot. The difference between the two when he walks is all too obvious...

In February of 2018 I had both of my knees replaced at the same time. The first couple of days were rough then things improved rapidly. After the first week I was walking 1/2 mile a day (with a walker) and ditched the walker after week two. Like the previous posters have said, it's all about doing the PT so that you regain range of motion and prevent the build up of scar tissue.

By that summer I was back running class 5 whitewater in my raft.

I have a question:

I have a few friends who've had their replaced. And most were awake for the procedure. An epidural, but awake none teh less.

Were you awake for your procedure?

I had my right knee replaced in July 2018 and left done in November. In both I was released from the hospital by noon the next day. Pain for about a week to ten days. On a strong pain killer for a few days then went to Tramidol for about a week. On a walker for about three weeks, then was stable enough to be one my own. 5 weeks of PT 3 times a week at a facility associated with my surgeon. That is a big key to restoring function. Driving after one month. I have no pain and my knees continue to improve in strength and stability. My doctor said full recovery /function is typically one year. There is some limitation to degrees of bending with the prosthetics. At URRF6 in June I was doing fine chasing rockets. A lady friend just had one knee done. She was In the hospital 5 days! Lots pf pain. In house PT... not recommended as alternative to a well equipped facility. She is in the same city but a different doctor and hospital. Her story is totally unlike mine. I am sure there are a lot of variables to recovery. Age, physical condition, surgeon, etc. Best to you on your recovery.

I had my right knee replaced in 2012. Unfortunatley, 10 months later, I had to go in for a revision to it. But, both times I was back to work in a bout 3 months, and that's sitting at a desk. If you're doing something physical, it may be longer. Like others have said here, keep up on the PT, but at the same time, don't overdo it. You'll know when you do. As far as pain, if you're hurting, take the pills. I was on a walker a month before switching to a cane, then used that for another couple months.
When you look back on this several months from now, you'll wonder why you waited so long to have it done. I haven't had any issues since. The back, however, is another story....

Phil L.

Back