• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Anyone live near Wright-Patterson AFB?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrarick

Wildman CT
Reaction score
Looking for pictures of the SR-71 there for a project I'm doing.

thanks for any help

Thought I had one or two from our last trip there but it really a Lockheed D-21B.

Sorry.

I have a bunch of pics of the one at the Udvar-Hazy center if you want. I've never been to Wright-Pat though, so I don't have any of that specific blackbird.

I actually am looking for the YF-12 variant, so the only surviving airframe (3 made) is there. It's the fastest of the SR-71's and I just think that having the chines start beyond the nose makes it look cooler..... not to mention that it wouldn't look like the estes kit.

Ahh, that makes sense.

(Just out of curiosity, are you sure it's the fastest? I thought the A-12 was the fastest, but I could be wrong)

There are also an SR-71 and the drone variant at the Blackbird Airpark in palmdale CA.

HABU and the SR71 manual state that it obtained the fastest speed of any of the SR-71's. This makes sense since they weren't loaded with spy stuff, but had room for a few air-to-air missiles that weren't carried when it was running for the speed records.

HABU and the SR71 manual state that it obtained the fastest speed of any of the SR-71's. This makes sense since they weren't loaded with spy stuff, but had room for a few air-to-air missiles that weren't carried when it was running for the speed records.

That's strange. As I said, I would have guessed the A-12. The YF-12 has the funny nose for radar (without the chines), and as a result, it needed an additional fin on the underside, and I would have guessed that the additional drag from the fin and the changed aerodynamics due to the shortened chines would cause it to be a bit slower.

Could have been that they let the pilot push the throttles to the stops on the particular flight (and then admit it). Anyhow, that's how it's listed, but I'm sure there's lots about the SR-71 program that we'll never know about........but it is the coolest looking one, IMHO. I'm trying to get actual markings for a scale rocket. The big problem is that the PR pictures were shot at angles that make it look fast and menacing, not show off the markings :cry:

I did some digging around, and I found that I do actually have a set of YF-12 images. Here's a link to a download (I uploaded a zipped folder on rapidshare due to the filesize - it's something like 60MB when zipped, and 100+ in the original folder). There's a word document included that describes the photos. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you need, but hopefully it helps...

https://rapidshare.com/files/440737107/KEDLOCK_images.zip

Here's a link to a download...
I'm getting errors on that file-

Win7 Explorer gives the helpful~ 0x80004005 unspecified error.

Cygwin unzip says- skipping: {filenames} need PK compat. v6.3 (can do v4.6)

And WinRAR says- Unknown method in KEDLOCK_images\{filenames}

I also tried another copy (the first d/l was from the am) with the same results.

Any chance you could repackage and upload again?
EDIT: Nevermind. I just tried 7-Zip (https://www.7-zip.org/) and it worked! THANX!

Just out of curiosity, do you recall what you used to zip it up originally?

Last edited:
I used 7-zip, although I did try to open it (successfully) with both 7-zip and Windows explorer (Win7 Ultimate x64). I'm not sure why it would give errors, but 7-zip shouldn't have any trouble (since that's what I used to zip it in the first place). I did use a pretty high compression setting, so that might be the source of the errors...

I couldn't open it - I have 32 bit windows 7 on my laptop.

is there another way?

Did you try 7-zip? I could try zipping it using something else (or using different settings)...

OK, here's one I just zipped with Windows Explorer - I would think that you should be able to open it just fine, since it was made directly in Windows. It's 20MB larger though (since 7-zip does a much better job compressing).

https://rapidshare.com/files/441010352/KEDLOCK_images__2_.zip

(Also, if anyone wants, I have similar folders for the Oxcart (A-12), Senior Crown (SR-71), and Tagboard (D21), as well as the manuals for the A-12, SR-71, and YF-12, a specification document for the A-12, and a lockheed SR-71 handbook that I can post as well)

Last edited:
Thanks! It had some great details to help us come up with a better scale model...

Back