Anyone in the USA bought a kit from the UK?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airwolfe1

Reaction score
I missed out on the British Spacecraft X-15-2A when Dale Windsor was selling them at LawnDart Rocketry but I see Deepsky in the UK is selling them. Has anyone ever purchased a kit from the UK and had it shipped to the states? How outrageous are the shipping costs?

This is the other way around but here it is anyway.
I think most of the Brits on TRF have bought kits from the USA at some time . I for one haven't , but have recieved a rocket from semroc before. For the Hydra 7 it cost around $10 to send it priority mail. And the hydra comes with *lots* of parts and weighs a fair bit.

While I have not purchased from the UK before, I have purchased from Caveman in the Netherlands and Stefano Figoni in Italy both of which are wonderful to deal with.

I would like to thank you for bringing the X-15's to my attention. I too missed them when they were at Lawndart and think that I may go ahead and order one now while I can.

I'll drop a line on how it goes.

Thanks
Scott

My sister lives in London and I've had items shipped to her. She brings them back with her on her yearly visits.

sandman

I have shipped to the UK, an X-wing fighter, cost about 8 or 9 bucks. I have received from the Netherlands and Australia, was about 8 or 9 bucks. So it shouldn't be too bad.

Originally posted by airwolfe1
I missed out on the British Spacecraft X-15-2A when Dale Windsor was selling them at LawnDart Rocketry but I see Deepsky in the UK is selling them. Has anyone ever purchased a kit from the UK and had it shipped to the states? How outrageous are the shipping costs?

They're not if you're willing to wait a little longer. I've bought stuff from UK, Australia and Brazil. Shipping costs were about the same as US. It just took a couple weeks.

I've brought loads from the USA to the UK. Shipping works out as about twice as much, as if I had ordered from 'home'. This extra cost is offset by the current £/$ exchange rate being very much in our favour (plus I don't have to pay the 17.5% VAT (sales tax) we have to pay over here).

This is going to be the expensive bit for you: the exchange rate. I can get almost twice the goods for my £ in the USA, than in the UK. Therefore, you'll only be getting about 1/2 the goods for your $ in the UK (although I think you don't have to pay VAT if the goods are being exported from the UK).

Whats money when the kit is cool? ;)

Paul @ Deepsky is a very friendly and helpful chap. Drop him a line, and get a quote! (hes at IRW for the next week or so, so don't expect a reply too quickly)

Yeah...I've already been using an currency exchange converter and it's definitely in the Brits favor. 1 pound will get you $1.82 in US Dollars. The British Spacecraft X-15-2A for 45 pounds converts to about $82.00 and I think Lawndart was selling them for $77.00 so it's not that outrageous. Shipping seems to be about twice as much, but if you can't get the kits over here, guess it's not that bad.

I also did send Paul @ Deepsky an e-mail and he got right back with an estimated shipping amount. For 2 British Spacecraft models (X-15-2A and Bomarc) and 2 kits from Orbital Engineering the shipping would be around $35 USD.

When I get the final order compliled and fullfilled I'll get back with the actual charges so others will learn from this experience.

Also, they have some neat motor retainers at Deepsky that are shaped like rocket motor nozzles. Looks like they're made along the lines as Aeropack but continue one step further adding a nozzle shape to the retainer kind of the reverse of a boattail. May have to try one of these too.

:D

Originally posted by airwolfe1
Also, they have some neat motor retainers at Deepsky that are shaped like rocket motor nozzles. Looks like they're made along the lines as Aeropack but continue one step further adding a nozzle shape to the retainer kind of the reverse of a boattail. May have to try one of these too.

:D

Rowe's Retainers. They're really cool.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Rowe's Retainers. They're really cool.

Really cool is ann understatement - they are really top quality CNC milled (not turned!!!) items (Owner of 29, 38, 54 mm cones and 38, 54mm standard).

No - I'm not Collin - just a happy user.

Ditto! Rowes Retainers look awesome on any rocket! Im gonna have to get a Standard 38mm retainer for my level1.
Karl

I got to see a brand new and VERY shiney Rowe's Retainer at IRW.

Here it is, fresh from the bag, just fitted to the underside of The Flying Picnic Table of Doom:

Originally posted by cydermaster
I got to see a brand new and VERY shiney Rowe's Retainer at IRW.
Ooh very shiney, nice :p

Here it is, fresh from the bag, just fitted to the underside of The Flying Picnic Table of Doom:
WTF is The Flying Picnic Table of Doom - did the whole d**n table fly? If it did it looks WAY underpowered as that's not a 75mm retainer!!!! Looks to have too much metal in it for the safety code too :D

It looks like a Rowes Old Style 38mm cone :D
Edit :

And I think the tube was Damians rocket that hit 11,000ft on a Pro54 6 grain. Shame , that was one smooooooooth rocket!
Karl

Originally posted by Daedalus
WTF is The Flying Picnic Table of Doom - did the whole d**n table fly? If it did it looks WAY underpowered as that's not a 75mm retainer!!!! Looks to have too much metal in it for the safety code too :D
OK - just seen the FPTOD post. Most of the questions answered:

Yep, the whole table flew, er - moved

Yep, I was right it was underpowered - probably a good thing too!!! (what motor was it?)

Having seen that I'm really glad I was in Dorset for all of IRW. I feel (fairly) safe from picnics of mass destruction here.

Latest posts

Back