Anyone in the Ft Worth or Tarrant County area want to get together?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
Bone Daddy and I will be at the TGI Fridays on S. Cooper in Arlington (south side of I-20, across the freeway from the Parks mall) to put faces with TRF handles and to talk a little rocketry. We are planning to meet Saturday (the 5th) at 1:00, probably for about an hour?

Anyone else in the area want to meet? Anybody from Burleson or Mansfield? Maybe we could get a club started up (a western branch of DARS? I'm kinda leaning toward Tarrant Area Rocketry Society....)

I will spring for the first round, so come on out! PM one of us to let us know you are coming

-Dave

Dave,
I would love to, but I have finals the week after so I will be studying. Is it possible to have a second get together?

Jason Brown
Rocket Team, President
University of Texas at Arlington

I, too, would like to get together and discuss a section here, but I have to work a special event that afternoon. Also, DARS does have a meeting at 1 on Saturday and a couple of Tarrant County DARS members may be headed that way.
We did have a section here in the mid-80's lead by Sam Baxter and myself: the "Tarrant Area Confederation, Ya'll" or TACY. Yes, pronounced "tacky". It was short-lived, but we did hold some competitions.
Maybe this is something to look at after the holidays when people have more free time. Nevertheless, count me in. Let's spread the word and see what we can drum up. Maybe see if we can get member listing for the area from the NAR?

Chas

Anyone else in the area want to meet?

Would love to buy a round or two, but Saturday is the DARS election at 1:00pm, and I'm committed to being there. Second Saturday of the month might work out, unless someone's headed down to Hearne for the Tripoli-Houston HP launches. I doubt I'll be doing, so I should be in town, but the suggestion to hold off until after the holidays has merit, as well.

powderburner said:
Maybe we could get a club started up (a western branch of DARS? I'm kinda leaning toward Tarrant Area Rocketry Society....)

I'd definitely be interested in getting a west-side-of-the-metromess club going, as well!

Wayne
(who lives in Lake Worth)

Last edited:
As a co conspirator, I thought I'd chime in here:

As a high school teacher with standardized testing, progress reports, an incredible amount of paperwork and documentation to submit before break, etc I've been pretty busy and haven't had much time for a good follow up.

Here's my take:

I thoroughly enjoyed our meeting. Although it was more of a meeting each other than an actual meeting.

We talked rockets (of course) with Powder Burner's scratch built Pershing sounding incredible. We talked chemistry - after all, what's rocketry without chemistry? We shared what we'd like to see in a club and how it might get started.

And, we ate, drank and for me at least, were merry.

I'm sure more will follow in the not to distant future.

You can PM me with ideas or interest.

As a high school teacher with standardized testing, progress reports, an incredible amount of paperwork and documentation to submit before break, etc I've been pretty busy and haven't had much time for a good follow up.

I thought I was hearing an echo - the only thing I can add is both the TARC and SLI teams are going strong, too!

OK, well then guys... two questions:

Is South Arlington central for more folks than not? It's kinda a hike for me, but I'm willing if that's the choice.

Secondly... would a Sunday afternoon (say, the 20th) be OK for anyone? I'm supposed to be flying with DARS on the 19th (my TARC kids are supposed to come up and try to hawk some refreshments for the flyers) till about 4pm. Christmas is the next weekend, New Years after that, and then Jan 9 is DARS, again.

As of right now the 20th would be good for me. Arlington is a 40min drive for me, but I drive to UTA almost every day so its all good.

That's grabbing the bull by its horns.

Sunday works great for me. Place to be determined.

I'll see you at the DARS launch if the rain gives us a break.

Sanding fins for the space modeling event as I type.

Fellows of Amateur Rocketry in Tarrant?

I like it.....a bit of a reach, but I like it. Now, how are we gonna work in "OLD"?

If we can start a club, I really don't much care what we call it, I just would like to avoid having "Ft Worth" in the name because I don't want to alienate anyone from Parker, or Johnson, or Ellis, or anywhere out there that they are still willing to drive in for a meeting.

And the only reason Bone Daddy and I met in south Arlington was he happened to be the first one I got in touch with, and I thought s. Arlngtn would be a good halfway spot for us. We could just as well hold the next get-together in downtown Ft Worth, or the stockyards, or NRH, or north Arlngtn somewhere along I-30....wherever is handy.

Having another get-aquainted meeting on the 20th sounds good---at least, it doesn't sound any worse than any other time at this time of year. I've been a bit busy the past week with a couple reports due at work, my wife's B-day, and getting ready for Christmas (STILL don't have all the lights in the yard yet!), and the next two weeks don't look much better, so all meeting times are good (or bad?). I'll plan on the 20th, and I'll still cover the first round of beverages.

I gotta say I was impressed with Bone Daddy, he has a lot of energy and is ready to launch. One or two more guys like him and we ought to be sure to get a club going.

I would like to meet the rest of you guys, so come on out. We can talk a little potential local club activity and see what everyone thinks. I don't think a local club necessarily has to be on my side of town (and I rather expect it would not) but I would like to see one somewhere local so area kids would have a decent chance to attend meetings and launches. I'm willing to drive 30-45 minutes, but I don't like to take a couple hours to get to a certain other club's meetings, or take a tank of gas to drive to their launches. There's gotta be a better way to keep it local and handy, even if we have to limit things to low-power and mid-power. If we can get some kind of club started, or maybe add on to an existing science club or YMCA activity or whatever, I'm pretty flexible on when/where/how.

I agree that if we use a region in our name it should be nebulous with a nice acronym. (I was stoked about MARS - Mansfield Area Rocketry Society).

I say we pick a clever acronym and then flesh it out.

If we do fit old in anywhere I vote for Elder (sounds wise) or Experienced (sounds well experienced) or Gently used.

More lousy ideas forthcoming.

OK, it looks like a consensus for Sunday afternoon. Is 2 or 3pm OK? Then, where? Suggestions (like I said, I live in Lake Worth, so I'm not really all that familiar with the lower part of the metromess - but I've got a GPS and can find just about anyplace! :santa-smile:

Maybe throw a dart at a map of the metroplex?

But seriously, I too have a GPS and don't mind driving a bit. Anything off 20 or 30 would be preferable. Count me as a don't care where.

Maybe throw a dart at a map of the metroplex?

OK, we did south Arlington last time, how about "mid" Arlington this time?
I am going to suggest the Chili's just off of I-30 at N. Collins (that's pretty centrally located in Arlngtn)
It is on the SE corner, easy to get to, easy to see
(hey, if I can find it, anybody should be able to....)

rocketace, I'm sorry if you can't make it again, the next meeting time/place is going to be your call

To everybody on this thread, or lurking, or desperately wanting to move to Texas to be with us wonderful people: I'm going to suggest that all the rest of you PM us or post your ident onto this thread, and the rest of us will move this over to PMs or email or something off the forum so you non-Texans don't have to be bored reading about our exploits
What do the rest of you Texas guys think?

2pm Sunday 12-20-09 @ Chili's at IH30/Collins it is! See you guys there!

Is this a new Chili's? I searched two current phone books and an on-line search of Arlington and did not find a listing for one on Collins. Cooper and Copeland, yes. I guess this one is across from Lincoln Square?

I plan on making the DARS launch Saturday. Gots to burn some motors....

Confused,
Chas

Last edited:
Count me in.

Pm works for me. I'm guessing there is someway to do group messages?

Chas

I'm looking forward to Saturday myself. I have a gaggle of new rockets to fly.

All we need is one night and three consecutive days of no rain.

Is that really too much to ask?

Bone Daddy - would you please e-mail me your name so that I can put a name with a non de plume Saturday? I drive a silver 99 Taurus and effect the air that after 42 years I just might know how to fly these things. Truth hurts... That's my smiling (grimace) face on the latest Sports Rocketry.

I just got done preping a few models. The forecast is for cool weather, but low winds. Fingers crossed.

As far as going to PM, I can go for that. However, comma, since this is in the "Watering Hole" no one has to read this. But those who do can watch our progress (insert patriotic music and William Shatner voice), perhaps begin the progress to establish a new NAR section. To reach to the skies and bring knowledge to new rocketeers. To...talk too long. Shatner off.

Ain't I a stinker...

Chas

All we need is one night and three consecutive days of no rain. Is that really too much to ask?

It's looking good... fingers crossed. Hey, you're welcome to share the tent, again, if ya want.

Yall have fun, im going to try to make it to Asa if I can :)

Awww... I know the allure of high power, Jason, but spend some time with the Newton-impaired folks once in a while, too! :headbang::wave::duck:

BTW - haven't seen you since the Rocketry article came out - lookin' good! Have you managed to find some more members this year?

Is this a new Chili's?

Hey, I just suggested it on the basis of info from the Chili's homepage/locater thingy. Maybe this will get it:
https://www.chilis.com/EN/locations...rantId=001.005.0012&Tab=0&OnlineEnabled=False

It's at 924 Copeland, just east (according to the computer, but I've been bitten by that stuff before) of Collins, and yes it probably is in or just behind Lincoln Sq.
If you want, check the restaurant (817 261 3891) to see if they're really there. Or, mapquest shows:
https://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=...32.759045&longitude=-97.09676&geocode=ADDRESS

Anyway, it has been quite a few years since I lived in that neighborhood so I am not real familiar with the landmarks anymore. I just suggested the location so we could move the meeting around a bit.

Looking forward to meeting you guys face to face!

It's at 924 Copeland, just east (according to the computer, but I've been bitten by that stuff before) of Collins, and yes it probably is in or just behind Lincoln Sq.

Lincoln Square is west of Collins. Just turn east on Copeland from Collins and Chili's will be on your right. There is a big sign in front so you can't miss it.

The eyesore to the south is Jerry World.

Avoid 360 because it will be closed at Division St.

Thanks for the tent offer. I'll take you up on it.

Rockets packed, range box stocked ............................. still no rain.

Will there actually by a live launch tomorrow?????

Double check, but the email I got last night says ASA's cancelled for the wet ground.

Ya Asa is cancelled, but either way my truck is having some problems so I cant go anywhere tomorrow :( .....and there goes more AP money, I want to burn money not use it, lol

Back