Anyone in Jacksonville,Fl interested in getting a low power launch event together ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankMemes

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen Folks on here of all ages building low power models, I myself have a growing fleet I fly with my son whenever I can, I’m interested to see how many others JAX folks would be interested in getting together and putting some low power birds in the air together, I’ve got a pretty good field here at Chuck Rogers and have looked at the permits to get an organized event together and it really looks viable.. I’ve got enough gear to put together two racks of four pads, and a pretty stout 12V launch solution so wouldn’t take much from there. I’ve got a local hobby store who’s game to get involved...

Anyone game?

Last edited:
I’ll be home in Jacksonville for two weeks around Christmas. I can’t fly kits with me but I’d love to fly while home with family. Although I have no motors in Jacksonville so I’d need help sorcing some.

I launch most weekends at Palmetto Leaves Park off of Greenland. It is good for below 500 ft. Have launched three to over 500 ft. But it was dumb luck one didn’t get caught in tree. Lost other two to trees. I would enjoy launching with a fellow rocketeer. I am free December 8th, 9th, 16th, 29th, and 30th. Hard to get out to NEFAR or Space Coast Club to launch with work schedule. Let me know what works for you have four low power rockets to launch.

16th should be perfect. I can also do the 29th. I’ll bring my alien interceptor but I’ll need some motors. Something from b-d 18mm with long delay.

I will have some spare C’s. But any Hobby Lobby in the area has Estes motors from minis all the way to E. DankMemes you down for 16th? Either at Chuck Rogers or Palmetto Leaves?

Sorry guys been a little off the beaten bath the last few days been busy with the kids school, appointments and year end nonsense at work... I’m within walking distance of palmetto leaves... always wondered about launching there, surprised I haven’t tried... in the past year or so I’ve been living here. In was planning on hitting the SRA launch on the 15th. But should be able to come out for a little while on 16th to and can bring the kids, if they get bored (still little) they can hit the park... @SWODad if you’re hitting up palmetto leaves almost any weekend let me know the night before and we can set something up for sure... I’m literally within walking distance

There’s also hurricane hobbies on San Jose, just north of chuck Rogers, owner is Ron, nice guy and he just re-upped his stock of motors

With a little planning I could probably hit chuck Rogers in the 16th... it’s s bigger field and my usual spot... I fly to 1000 feet out there but you do want to keep the chutes small or keep em down low if the winds are up, as there’s a very unforgiving tree line on all fours sides of the field, also a little trickier to fly out at chuck Rogers on the weekends this time of year as it’s dominated by a youth soccer league most of the weekends

I also have a bulk box of B4-4 qjets if you guys want to give those a try, they’re a lot of fun in smaller rockets

I’ll have my minimum diameter 18mm with me because I can fly with it easily. Might give a couple of those B Q-jets a try. Recovery is streamer so should be good to go.

I lost my rocket i was planning on bringing with me. As such I’ll be borrowing one from my mom while there since none of my others would survive the flight. So I’ll still come fly.

You guys good for a 130 launch at Chuck Roger? Have been working long hours at work. And have to work Sunday so have family time for Sunday Morning. I can do later.

1:30 ought to be good, big question at this point will be weather and field condition... looks to be raining through tomorrow, and possibly into Sunday morning... my son plays soccer over at chuck Rogers and we launch there regularly.

Issue is that field gets swampy during long rains... gets well see

Dave - we are still planning on flying at SRA. Probably going to have lower than desirable cloud coverage but it is what it is. Rain kind of stalled out last night, really hoped it would have moved through the area faster. Not sure how long the weather will hold, more rain in forecast :(

Dave - we are still planning on flying at SRA. Probably going to have lower than desirable cloud coverage but it is what it is. Rain kind of stalled out last night, really hoped it would have moved through the area faster. Not sure how long the weather will hold, more rain in forecast :(

Saw that, hope you guys are able to fly today, saw the weather report before I loaded up the car, and opted for a family day up here instead, kids have be holed up inside with the rain and weather, so looks like I’ll catch you guys in January, good news is I should have my Mach 1 Black Hole ready to fly and for certification by then for sure

Just waiting for @SWODad to check in... I’ve got a bunch of pads and rockets to goof around with and a solid 12V launch system so we can fly anything you guys got...

The largest diameter rod I have though is 3/16 (maxi). Although I doubt we’d Need 1/4 but figured I’d put that out there

Packing up the van now, it’s a little windy so we’ll keep em low but bring two boxes of rockets to mess around with

Back