• Have you entered ???
    LAUNCH LAB ROCKETRY GIVEAWAY

Anyone here got their phone thru Google 'Project Fi'? Good/bad? Thinking of changing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I don't, but I am intrigued. I was unaware of this option.

bclark989

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No reason not to if you are in a position to switch to them as a carrier. Just check their coverage map.

The three compatible phones (Nexus 6P, 5X, and existing Nexus 6) are great phones specs-wise (read reviews before picking one), and usable on any network...they were not specifically built for Fi. I actually just got a rid of a Nexus 6 to upgrade to the new HTC 10 because I'm a bit of a new phone junkie, but the 6 was great. Easily the best camera I've ever had on a phone, and the stock android photo editing capabilities for touch-ups are outstanding.

If you are in their map and aren't on another contract, I would go for it. Monthly plan pricing looks reasonable. The discount they are offering on new 6P's and 5X's is great, too.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
There was a guy at a 4th of July party who seemed happy with it but it wasn't discussed at depth.

scsager

Slightly burned-out old guy
Reaction score
I'm always looking for a good deal... I'm not so sure this is one.

A comparison with my current plan... I have 4 phones, each with unlimited talk, text, and 5gb data for each phone. My monthly bill is $149

Google Fi = Must purchase one of their phones, only two phone options. $200/$350 each.
My Plan = Bring your own GSM phone. Sim cards cost $10.

Google Fi = Unlimited talk and Text $20 data @ $10/GB. Total cost for unlimited +5GB = $70
My plan = Unlimited talk, text, and 5GB data = $35

Google Fi = Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular, 4g lte (roaming talk text and data)
My plan = T-mobile 4g lte ( roaming talk and text, single carrier data)

So the Google Fi plan costs double what I'm currently paying, plus a minimum of $800 to purchase 4 new phones. All this to get the benefit of roaming data.

No advantage for me... but YMMV :)

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
The missus loves hers, but she has good wifi coverage at the office.

That means she uses very little data, and she doesn't make a lot of phone calls.

YMMV, but her bill is less than $30/mo.

James Duffy

Reaction score
For a domestic user this probably doesn't make much sense from a monthly bill perspective. For a user that travels internationally on a regular basis, it is an incredible value and simplifies international connectivity in a revolutionary way. Personally, I hope that the traditional carriers lose enough customers to Fi that they feel a need to offer a competitive alternative. I'd love to have a similar option on my corporate-tied AT&T plan.

Nathan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife likes hers. No problems and monthly bill is a fraction of what I pay for my Verizon phone.