Anyone heard from Hawk's Hobby?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything in a while. Anybody know how the Hawkins are doing? Any chance the kit line will start up again?

I have heard from several dealers that they have closed.

I even called when I was in Houston a few weeks ago!
Their phone is on but no one is returning calls.
I hope I get the kits that they owe me.

Oh well :(

It's been awhile since I've seen them at a launch out here but I'll ask some of the club guys if they know anything--

Dave Montgomery (dwmzmm) or Mikus would be the ones to ask though-- Dave especially, since he's done a lot of business with them over the years and knows them better, but he's been kinda low-key lately-- probably got a lot going on...

Later! OL JR :)

The post on their forum from April basically stated that there have been some bad circumstances that stopped sales at that time, but they hoped that things would return to normal during summer.

Like a lot of us are well aware, things are not really recovering quickly for many people in many industries, so hopefully things are getting better for them and not worse.

I met Mark and Loretta at the NSL, either this year or last, don't recall. They seemed really cool and had some great rockets.

If they are able to resume business, I will place an order for sure.

Sandy.

Hello all! I saw Loretta & Mark last summer @ JSC for a double-header regional meet (she was the CD). I got the impression that they were winding down their involvement in the hobby. The destruction that Hurricane Ike caused on their side of town (east of Houston, which was pretty hard hit) basically did them in. I haven't heard from nor seen them since, and I'm not sure if they've been involved with the NASA/Houston Rocket Club (Section # 365) since summer. The current economic climate is probably not too friendly for them at the moment (I know Mark had lost his job, then found another, but that was some time ago)....

It's been awhile since I've seen them at a launch out here but I'll ask some of the club guys if they know anything--

Dave Montgomery (dwmzmm) or Mikus would be the ones to ask though-- Dave especially, since he's done a lot of business with them over the years and knows them better, but he's been kinda low-key lately-- probably got a lot going on...

Later! OL JR :)

I haven't seen them lately, but I haven't made it out to any JSC launches in awhile. Nor have I heard much either from or about them since Ike. I think they're busy concentrating on themselves these days.

A bummer, they had some great looking kits. :(

I haven't seen them lately, but I haven't made it out to any JSC launches in awhile. Nor have I heard much either from or about them since Ike. I think they're busy concentrating on themselves these days.

A bummer, they had some great looking kits. :(

Before Hurricane Ike, they were very, very active with the NHRC group. But Ike and the fact that their boys are no longer interested in rocketry may have something to do with Hawks Hobby, but I really suspect they're having economic issues (like many of us do).... Yes, they do have really great kits.

It is a shame..I met Mark and Loretta at NSL 2008 and they ARE very nice people! And their kits are AWESOME! I have 2 of them in the kit room awaiting my attack!:roll:

Before Hurricane Ike, they were very, very active with the NHRC group. But Ike and the fact that their boys are no longer interested in rocketry may have something to do with Hawks Hobby, but I really suspect they're having economic issues (like many of us do).... Yes, they do have really great kits.

When you coming out to fly again Dave? We miss you. :(

It is a shame..I met Mark and Loretta at NSL 2008 and they ARE very nice people! And their kits are AWESOME! I have 2 of them in the kit room awaiting my attack!:roll:
I met them at NARCON 2007, and yes they are very nice people. I kick myself for not buying more of their kits when I had the chance.

It sure would be nice if somebody (Semroc? Red River? QModeling?) would pick up their designs and re-release them.

When you coming out to fly again Dave? We miss you. :(

I'll be coming out soon; this Saturday our kids have a dental appointment, then we have my wife's birthday party so I'm tied up again. But I think the field there in Needville maybe too soft with the rain we're expecting this week. I've been working on my Dr. Zooch Soyuz kit, so I'm still "active," so to speak :) This model is a very tough build (NOT a beginner's kit). Several pics below. Also, been by JP's place to buy the Estes Black Brant - II he was going to sell on e-Bay (I offered a LOT more than what was being bidded); he'd like to have another get together whenever we can arrange another one. I think we're "ripe" for one, don't you think?!

Dr. Zooch's Soyuz Model Build 002.jpg

Dr. Zooch's Soyuz Model Build 001.jpg

It sure would be nice if somebody (Semroc? Red River? QModeling?) would pick up their designs and re-release them.
The reason I started the thread is that I know someone who is interested in purchasing the business from them. I got to know Mark and Loretta at Narams 49 and 50, like them very much, and figured they might be interested in an offer. If anyone hears from them please give them my best and ask them to contact me through TRF or YORF.

Steve

The reason I started the thread is that I know someone who is interested in purchasing the business from them. I got to know Mark and Loretta at Narams 49 and 50, like them very much, and figured they might be interested in an offer. If anyone hears from them please give them my best and ask them to contact me through TRF or YORF.

Steve

They have been contacted by several people in that regard. No reply's :confused:

I'll be coming out soon; this Saturday our kids have a dental appointment, then we have my wife's birthday party so I'm tied up again. But I think the field there in Needville maybe too soft with the rain we're expecting this week. I've been working on my Dr. Zooch Soyuz kit, so I'm still "active," so to speak :) This model is a very tough build (NOT a beginner's kit). Several pics below. Also, been by JP's place to buy the Estes Black Brant - II he was going to sell on e-Bay (I offered a LOT more than what was being bidded); he'd like to have another get together whenever we can arrange another one. I think we're "ripe" for one, don't you think?!

Yep I bet we scrub this month. Dern mud. :(

Looking good on the Soyuz, if anybody can make that kit sparkle it's you. :cheers:

I saw that JP was selling on ebay and I put some bids in, but lost on all of them. :jaw: After the holidays we should definitely get a build party up and running with him.

Since they owe me kits, and it looks like they will not be produced.
Why not send me the instruction books on each kit and I will re-produce the kits at my shop. At the least that would get them to conact me. Next stop is the POSTAL INSPECTORS just like I had to do to Sherrie.

So if anyone has instructions and parts list please call me at the store Saturday!

734-282-1055

That's affirm... :) OL JR :)

Yep I bet we scrub this month. Dern mud. :(

Looking good on the Soyuz, if anybody can make that kit sparkle it's you. :cheers:

I saw that JP was selling on ebay and I put some bids in, but lost on all of them. :jaw: After the holidays we should definitely get a build party up and running with him.

Maybe you were one of those bidding on the Estes Black Brant - II Pursley had on e-Bay? I had gone to his website specifically to see if he had updated the JSC Saturn - V pics (since it was the 40th anniversary of the Apollo - 12) and only then noticed his "online store." Quickly shot myself over there and saw the BB-II...been looking for that kit for years. Couldn't believe the "high bid" at the time was only around $6.50 (or something like that) and quickly e-mailed him an offer that was about 5 times higher. SOLD!!

Learned when I visited him several weeks ago that he's employed once again (had been unemployed for quite some time), but is now working a Monday - Friday workweek. Did say he'd be very interested in another get together in the near future. I think after this coming weekend, I should be free after that (as far as I can tell). Want to get this Soyuz built and out of the way so I can get to work on the repairs of my Saturn - V (the one flown at Needville last July) and also my new SEMROC 1/70 Saturn 1-B....:)

Since they owe me kits, and it looks like they will not be produced.
Why not send me the instruction books on each kit and I will re-produce the kits at my shop. At the least that would get them to conact me. Next stop is the POSTAL INSPECTORS just like I had to do to Sherrie.

So if anyone has instructions and parts list please call me at the store Saturday!

734-282-1055

Steve, that might be a good idea; other than that, I don't know what to say (regarding the disappearance of the Hawkins). I just suspect that other priorities have taken a hold of them, so you know how that goes. Wish I could be more definitive regarding the fate of what they owe you, but I know nothing more than what I've said in this thread. Saw both of them at JSC last summer during the regionals double/header; Loretta was the Contest Director and Mark did put up a number of competition flights, but I just got a sense that their enthusiasm was on a downward trend as they didn't pre-register for the Regional I had planned (something they've never done before) after that.

Is that the Secret Santa in July gift?

N

I bid on a few of his items too but didn't win. I forgot to keep watching the 3rd edition Handbook of Model Rocketry, which went for practically nothing.

Nope not that one, but a couple of others.

I can't wait to see you build it. :D

The Black Brant - II will probably have to wait until I finish the Soyuz, the repairs of my Saturn - V and the build of the SEMROC Saturn 1-B. About the Estes Black Brant - II, I was surprised to see it's rated a Skill Level - 4 build! Didn't think it'll be any harder to build than the vintage FSI 1/8 scale version I have :D

I bid on a few of his items too but didn't win. I forgot to keep watching the 3rd edition Handbook of Model Rocketry, which went for practically nothing.

Heck, John, you could have probably contacted JP directly and offered something a bit more than what was being bidded; chances are he may have pulled it off of e-Bay and let you buy it on the spot. JP, BTW, lives pretty close to your neighborhood :)

Steve

That would be a great idea.....their kits are definitely excellent quality and sell very well. Someone buying them out would give them some much needed cash after the difficulties experienced in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike last year.

Heck, John, you could have probably contacted JP directly and offered something a bit more than what was being bidded; chances are he may have pulled it off of e-Bay and let you buy it on the spot. JP, BTW, lives pretty close to your neighborhood :)
Yeah, I saw that his shipping was stated as being from zip code 77070, which just happens to be my zip code, too.

Spoke to Loretta several months ago, she assured me that Hawks would be back, but didn't want to commit to a time frame.

Good people and great kits/service....

Back