Anyone have good websites/PDFs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolRockets

Reaction score
Hello, I want to give this stuff a shot (as in trying to build an h2 rocket) I have zero experience, if anyone does please share your knowledge of how you do it, thanks

you want to build a hydrogen rocket? not around here buddy. go away.

if you are actually truly interested in the great depths and breadth of rocketry, you have an incredible amount to learn, years of study and knowledge.

Liquid or gaseous hydrogen (yes, H2 is hydrogen whether gas or liquid)...that is not so much a rocket task as it is a plumbing task. It took an incredible amount of development by NASA to get the Atlas Centaur upper stage to work, and that was around 60 years ago. Entirely new welding techniques had to be developed because H2 will leak through cracks less than one ten-thousandths of an inch wide. Not sure I know of a single amateur who is working with H2.

I've worked with hydrogen gas a little bit in my profession (chem prof, 42 years) and know enough about the subject to Just Say No, nosiree bob, uh-uh. There are lots of easier ways to destroy/incinerate/remove body parts.

If you're a welder by profession, and are able to make top-quality welds in stainless steel...that might be a starting point. Or it might not.

If you mean something else, please elaborate.

Burning Hydrogen was one of my favorite chemistry experiments; you electrolyze water into H2 and O2. Then try to burn each. The inverted H2 test tube will whistle as it burns; a lot of people toss the tube when it sounds off. :)

Some of those PDFs you find might be for static display models. You might have to add some parts to make it a flyable model rocket. One way to do that is to wrap the printed pattern paper sheet on top of a standard sized model rocket body tube, for example. Or you can make the PDF paper tube double wall thickness to add some strength. Can you share a link to the PDF model you are trying to build? Do you just want the static display model, or do you intend to fly it? Usually those PDF models have some sort of instruction page with the sequence of parts you build and assemble. Have you built any paper models before?

Back