Anyone have any random nerdy facts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eating large quantities of fish, especially tuna, can expose you to high levels of mercury as the fish naturally bioaccumulate mercury from...
the fish they eat. Bioaccumulation of mercury amd many other toxins flows up the food chain, and tuna are near the top in their ecosystems.

The marine nutrients found far inland on the PNW are the result of the salmon life cycle. As the fish return from the ocean, spawn and die, they nourished numerous other species (eagles, bears, humans, among others) who would take the nutrients further inland than the fish themselves could do.

The marine nutrients found far inland on the PNW are the result of the salmon life cycle. As the fish return from the ocean, spawn and die, they nourished numerous other species (eagles, bears, humans, among others) who would take the nutrients further inland than the fish themselves could do.
evolution is amazing

The rock in this flow (Big Obsidian Flow, Newberry Caldera) is the youngest rock in Oregon, at around 1300 years old. Washington has rock less than 20 years old.

F395459C-F3B9-4974-87AC-C8D8308ACA5D.jpeg

That lava flow is 1.1 square miles, around 100 feet thick, and is roughly a 90/10 mix of pumice and obsidian. If you go on the trail over the floor, you’ll see lots of obsidian boulders the size of VW Bugs.

Obsidian was considered for the Mount Palomar mirror; Russell Porter mentioned in Amateur Telescope Making, Book one that there were locations where one could cut a 20 foot disk. Idea abandoned, probably because of annealing.

Obsidian was once used (maybe it still is, I don't know) as a scalpel tip; broken obsidian was far sharper than scalpel blades made at that time. The broken edge can approach molecular/atomic dimensions.

Obsidian was considered for the Mount Palomar mirror; Russell Porter mentioned in Amateur Telescope Making, Book one that there were locations where one could cut a 20 foot disk. Idea abandoned, probably because of annealing.

Obsidian was once used (maybe it still is, I don't know) as a scalpel tip; broken obsidian was far sharper than scalpel blades made at that time. The broken edge can approach molecular/atomic dimensions.
Pros and cons of obsidian scalpels:

https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/health/surgery-scalpels-obsidian/

I am impressed that they can cut cells in half.

Even the most cheaply made Chinese artifact can employ up to 1,427 people thru the entire supply chain. Granted, they only receive .003 cents American for that but....
87.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
A third of us wish the other half understood fractions.
Squirrels can communicate via mandelbrot sets. Prove me wrong.
Every bartender alive has heard at least one bartender joke.
Any measurement on Earth is done based on the planetary wide scale we've agreed on. Except for Bannanas. Those are relativistic.
You can no longer write the best novel using monkeys and typewriters. All the typewriter repairmen have retired.
I came into this chat room looking for my glasses..

In Switzerland, what we call Swiss cheese is known as Emmentaler.
This statement, while true, could probably get you shanked in the rougher parts of Emmenthal.

OK, to be fair, Emmenthal probably doesn’t have many (if any) rougher parts, and the Swiss are lawful enough that you are probably safe from bodily harm if not scorn about American cheeses.

We do have good cheese in the US. Unfortunately there’s a lot of mediocre or worse cheese. Don’t even get me started on “cheese food.”

"Cheese Food" It isn't Cheese and it isn't Food.

Why do people eat it?
(that is a rhetorical question by the way :rolleyes:)

Cheese food = a cheezoid material. A product that was carefully engineered to be (almost) perfectly unlike cheese. The wrapped slices of cheezoid are sometimes good for burgers and grilled-cheese sandwiches....and not much else. The one redeeming property is the melted product.

Cheese food = a cheezoid material. A product that was carefully engineered to be (almost) perfectly unlike cheese. The wrapped slices of cheezoid are sometimes good for burgers and grilled-cheese sandwiches....and not much else. The one redeeming property is the melted product.

The rock in this flow (Big Obsidian Flow, Newberry Caldera) is the youngest rock in Oregon, at around 1300 years old. Washington has rock less than 20 years old.

View attachment 652059

That lava flow is 1.1 square miles, around 100 feet thick, and is roughly a 90/10 mix of pumice and obsidian. If you go on the trail over the floor, you’ll see lots of obsidian boulders the size of VW Bugs.
If you use a VW bug as the unit of measure, is it metric? If so, you're mixing units. I believe the correct measure in imperial units would be a Ford Pinto. Maybe this belongs in the imperial vs. metric thread. . .

The same as our beer. Don't even get me started on "beer drink".
569248-Repo-Man-Labels-2.png

Back